Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Removing Bondo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by panhead_pete, Mar 30, 2022.

1. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Fellas

Im trying to get my 34 coupe ready for registration here in Japan, if by chance you are interested in it here's the thread.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1934-3w-in-japan.1248273/

I asked in that but am thinking as another member suggested I may get some additional ideas by posting specifically on the issue here.

Now back in the 70s when this was built they used a LOT of filler over the welded in roof panel to give it some crown rather than just flat, well Im guessing that's what they did. Now some of that filler lasted the nearly 50s years and some didnt as the car was under a tarp for MANY years. In paces it has to be in excess of 1/4" thick. I will need to clean this all up for its rego inspection.

Whats the best way to remove this? I started with a small blunt wood chiesl yesterday to some effect but have a long way to go. I applied Gibbs to any exposed metal when it arrived here in Nov last year. There is a hood liner inside I would rather not disturb.

Thanks Pete

248170112_611553229993449_7830077828416529084_n.jpg 258456984_1102725527135924_3652732009635650602_n.jpg 258750207_1299418843838688_1835239100826270510_n.jpg Under Bog Rust.jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    KKrod likes this.
  2. I’ve used 3m stripping wheels.
    Wear a respirator

3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Why do you need to remove it all?

panhead_pete likes this.
  4. wvenfield

wvenfield

That's what I would do........

5. gene-koning

gene-koning

oldiron, if he doesn't remove it all and adds new stuff on top of what is there, in a year or two it will look about like it does where the paint has cracks now. The new filler doesn't bond with the old stuff worth a carp. Been there, done that.

Use the 3M stripping wheels with a respirator, like Anthony says. Get it all down to the steel.

panhead_pete and anthony myrick like this.
  6. Side grinder with a 80 grit pad & sandblasting. HRP

panhead_pete and timwhit like this.
  7. Yep ^^^ 80 grit flapper disc.

panhead_pete likes this.
  8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

36 grit ! Just kidding keep the pad or grinding disc in motion , if do warpage will be a lesson learned

panhead_pete likes this.
  9. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

propane torch and a putty knife ; will soften up and come off with some scraping , wear a respirator
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

10. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Angle grinder and a 36 grit sanding disc. Respirator and do it outside, definitely. That 50 year old stuff may very well contain asbestos.

panhead_pete likes this.
  11. Get ya a backing pad and sanding disc for your buffer. It's low speed, doesn't generate tremendous heat, and makes quick work of old paint and filler. You can get a 60 grit disc. Screenshot_20220330-212019_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20220330-212108_Samsung Internet.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  12. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

5C349556-A6FF-4AC2-8A70-0930B206392F.jpeg
    These will do the job better than the 36 grit grinding disc, in my opinion. They will not remove any metal in the process either.

13. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

I like the big version of the Scotch Roloc discs, fit in my angle grinder. Very very effective and don't produce as much heat as flap wheels or flat sanding discs, as the air can flow through the fibers of the disc.

However, any method you employ with rapidly spinning abrasives will fill your neighborhood with white dust.

Phil

panhead_pete and ronzmtrwrx like this.
  14. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Heat the underside of the metal with a low flame torch.
    It will pop right off in chunks.

15. Ya mentioned trying to leave the headliner in place. Removing it would let ya do some metal work which would reduce the amount of mud needed

panhead_pete likes this.
  16. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

I was wondering also...the part that he said it had to be done to register...why?

LWEL9226 and panhead_pete like this.
  17. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks all so far. Will be buying a 3M 1/2 face respirator. Any reccemnedations of which filters I should be using for this job?

18. The 3m ones with the pink filters are for dust particulates.
    The others are for vapors or gases

belair and panhead_pete like this.
  19. Squablow

Squablow

I never used one, but I've heard a ton of great reviews about the Eastwood Contour tool, it's a different kind of flappy grinder (more like a barrel shape instead of a flat disc) that's supposed to be great for paint and filler stripping and would really clean up the rust without grinding off metal. I'm not sure if they ship to Japan but it's something I would look into if I had to do that job.

I use a lot of flap discs on my angle grinder but I'd be worried about thinning out the metal, you can take a lot of metal off with one of those things. 80 grit sandpaper on a DA in the spin mode also works but again, needs to be done with great care.

Light heating with a propane torch works great but I wouldn't try it if you're trying to keep your headliner intact.

20. This guy for sanding. 41DE26E8-57E9-4B74-BFBA-E418238A8E24.jpeg
    here is a chart for filters
    744305AD-FE15-4EC6-A8A7-ADC141813504.jpeg

21. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

anthony myrick likes this.
  22. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

panhead_pete and anthony myrick like this.
  23. mickeyc

mickeyc

I find a stiff wire cup wheel on a 4 inch grinder to remove filler quickly. It will eat it away
    and not remove any underlying metal, which may already be compromised and thin
    from previous work. This method works for me.

24. KenC

KenC

Heat gun rather than open flame and putty knife to get the bulk off with no dust. Follow with a grinder and stripping disk. I just did my 56 PU, several coats of paint and lots of filler from old work. Tried all the suggestions and then some. The heat gun and stripper disk won hands down.

rockable and panhead_pete like this.
  25. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As Thick as that bondo is I'd think taking most of the bondo off with a 7 inch disk sander or polisher with a 36 grit disk and then when you just get to the metal switch to and 80. The 36 grit will just make a bigger mess in the metal as it will leave scrtches that have to be removed.
    I've got an Eastwood countour and it works great on surface rust and paint but I have never tried it on heavy bondo. I don't know what they have to match it in Japan though.

Speaking of "doing it in Japan", it will probably what you have available localy to work with rather than ordering somethign from the states.

My cab has a lot of mud on one corner that may well be about that thick with a big rusty crack showing in it so it won't hurt anythign If I play a bit in the morning to do a show and tell except guys will know how ugly the metal is under that mud.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't sand/grind all that shit into the air. No need. All the torch or heat suggestions, are the way. Not a lot, move around and have a heavy duty putty knife. Minor leftovers clean easy.

rockable, ClarkH and panhead_pete like this.
  28. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Pete;
    The suggestions on heat n then 3m stripper disc are the way to go. Least amt of mess in the air. Do it in a well ventilated area if possible. Quick & efficient use of time n energy. When I did it, I didn't heat the metal any more than I had to, but only had a 1500w hair dryer - didn't work, butane torch, which did, but slightly slow, & an Ox/act torch w/low feathered flame. Worked very well, bondo got hot quickly, almost too fast before it bubbled, almost slid off. Stripper pad cleaned it up nicely. I'd probably use a heat gun if avail, or the butane torch again.
    Marcus...

panhead_pete likes this.
  29. junkman8888

junkman8888

Propane torch with a "fishtail" tip, leather gloves, putty knifes with the corners rounded so they won't gouge the metal. This is also the way I remove old undercoating.

30. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

On areas with thick bondo, and starting to peel away, you can even just slide a wide chisel under it, keeping it close to the surface, and just chip away. I've even used an air chisel to do this. Esp. since you'll be doing extensive metalworking anyway!

panhead_pete likes this.