Register now to get rid of these ads!

Removing Asbestos heat shielding? Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1lowtoy, Apr 10, 2009.

1. 1lowtoy

1lowtoy
    BANNED

I have a bunch of asbestos heat shied mat under this silver heat shield tape crap. What is the safest way to remove it? I need it gone so i can patch up my floors because some water got traped up in between and is rusting it from the inside out. :eek:

2. Put on a respirator, a rain suit and rubber gloves. Tape all the openings up tight and start pulling and bagging that stuff.

Your other option is wet it good so it doesn't flake and float. Asbestous is most dangerous when it is floating around as dust. Basically if you don't ingest it or breath it you're in pretty good shape.

3. RichG

RichG

Wet it down no matter what!

Soak that crap if you have too, don't risk mesothelioma, it's ugly and painful...

Double bag and seal the bags. If you're safety conscious turn it in as hazardous waste so that no one else risks exposure. Granted, the type of insulation that you have isn't really frangible, but don't risk it. Be careful and patient and you should be fine. Of course, we only offer "suggestions" as to how this should be done...:D

4. agree lots....of water.....not to sure if you are going to breech any threshold of exposure but a respirator, and gloves is good practice .... hard to believe ... that stuff used to be in baby powder

5. You sure its asbestos? Prob some wool based insulation.

6. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Keep it wet, and wear gloves and a respirator.

7. 1lowtoy

1lowtoy
    BANNED

hopefully

8. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I see you're just 16 years old--I'm 61, listen to this old fart. I have asbestosis, you don't want it. The only safe way to remove it is to let someone else do it.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  9. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

Sell it on eBay -- gas weldors are always looking for some to build a heat dam.

10. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

It's not worth the risk, pay somebody else to do it.

11. PatrickG

PatrickG

asbestos dust is too fine to get filtered out by any hardware store respirator. wet it down really well, and if your pulling it out it and anything is getting airborne, just stop, comeback when its all settled and wet it down some more. thats at least what seems to be the practice when replacing really old brakes that have asbestos pads

12. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

get someone else to do it, even if you buy the mask, wear the gloves etc. etc. if you get a cough in the future you are always going to think is it because of that asbestos... what if..

13. RichG

RichG

DO NOT DISTURB DRY ASBESTOS. The dust will stay in the air indefinitely. Thoroughly wet the material, handle with care, dispose of properly, all is good. It wouldn't hurt to wear a respirator, just be sure that it has HEPA filters, not standard organic filters. Asbestos is only dangerous if frangible and distributed into the air. WET IT DOWN. Soak it. Pee on it for cryin' out loud. Double bag, seal with tape, send to hazardous materials as "unknown".

As always, this information is for "informational" purposes only...:D

14. Wet it down real good. Take a clear plastic bag close to the size of a kitchen trash bag. Carfully cut two holes in it large enough and located so you can work through them. Leave enough space below the gloves for trash to fall. Use Gorilla Tape to tape a pair of long "rubber" gloves to the inside of the bag so your hands can go through the holes you cut and into the gloves. Put a plastic scraper, a spray bottle of water and any other tools you may need to get everything off into the bag. Use cheap tools as you will throw them away with the bag of asbestos. Use duct tape to tape the open end of the bag to the portion of the area of the car and seal it up! Remove the crap, liberally spraying it with the water while working. spray the whole area in the bag well before removing it while rolling the bag shut. Dispose of properly.
    You will need a set of disposable coveralls, gloves head cover and a resperator that can supply air from a remote source to safely accomplish this project.

15. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

the siding on our house and all my neighbor's was asbestos..it's a wonder we are still living.

16. RichG

RichG

Most houses that have the old fashioned square tile "linoleum", the really old stuff, is made out of asbestos...:D

17. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Like he said...But if it was me, I'd check to see if it really is asbestos first. Any asbestos removal done "properly" by an outside firm is not cheap. It may not be asbestos.

18. Asbestos, seems like alot of other stuff that really works great,like carbontech,Triclorh,and lead in the paint, and gas.A older(70s ish) pal built and installed commerical boilers for a living,started as at a early teen in his grandfathers bussiness,said it came in a 80 pound bag he used to throw it down into a motar pan with a big puff of dust comming off the bag, mix it up and apply it to every pipe elbow he could find with his bare hands.He used to think " what the heck this stuff cant be bad for you " , " it comes from mother earth ,and its used in baby powder".
    how ever the eldest brother out of 4 did pass from asbestosis.
    like I said not real sure of the threshold limits. If your removing it or working with it for a living thats one thing, how about some common sense approach,when you do work with it same idea as safety glasses when you grind!

19. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

And don't tell any bureaucrats what you are doing...

20. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Wet it down, use gloves/quality mask, discard in a sealed plastic bag.

Do some research on asbestos. Actually there's several types and something like 10% of what was used is what requires all the protection, the rest is way less dangerous.

Your health is nothing to mess with, but you don't need bomb-squad treatment for what you're doing. Just a handful of common sense safety measures.

Honestly I wish some of the safer versions were still available. It's hard to replicate asbestos performance without a lot of cost

good luck

21. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

At my age, I suffer from a bit of "hardening of the attitudes" so take this with a grain of salt: Instead of wetting your pants over the issue, wet the material. The only risk from asbestos is from airborn particles or dust.

22. rq375

rq375
    from Washington

Get some tyvec coveralls from the auto-body store, they are cheap and will keep the crap out of your clothes/hair. Keep in mind that everyone recomended a respirator (preferably full face) this does not mean paper dust mask, you need the real deal with proper filters. You will need a good respirator for paint and primer so think of it as an investment in your future. The members here could probably do 10 pages by then end of the day on the long term effects of not using proper safety gear in the shop...

23. specialk

specialk

really?

wet it down?
    wear a suit?
    buy a respirator?
    wear gloves?

There's only one answer to this question: hire a professional who is licensed for asbestos abatement.

All the other answers should scare the shit out of you.

24. ttarver

ttarver
    from austin

what does it look like?

25. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Owned and operated an Asbestos Removal company for over 20 years.
    If you're not sure pay to have it done but make sure its done properly.
    Friable asbestos can be extremely dangerous and cause painful long and sometimes fatal diseases.
    Just for the record there are skin related asbestos diseases aswell not just inhalation.
    Bob