Register now to get rid of these ads!

removing a body from its chassis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jersey Joe 67, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

is there a certain way of removing a body from a chassis? by this i mean, does the body have to be braced across the inside to keep it from getting out of shape?
    i've got a 31 tudor, that i want to remove from the chassis. any help would be appreciated.
    should all the glass be removed, first?

2. QMOTOX

QMOTOX
    from STL, MO

If the body is solid and the subrails are solid you should have no problem lifting it off even with the glass in. If it is a rusty mess and the subrails are gone you'll need to do some bracing first. Get 4 guys and pick it up evenly and set it down on a flat surface.

3. kustombypook

kustombypook

The most important part is to lift it evenly, like QMOTOX said, get some friends over, 4 or 6 people is best.

4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

great, thanks for the info. car is in great shape, so i should'nt have a problem.

5. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

What I suggest is to remove everything you can ... within reason, to reduce the weight. I then used 2 pieces of angle iron ... bolted one in holes that were already in the door post ( at the front ) and then the other under the rear portion of the body. The angle iron pieces are longer than the body is wide ... so we each had a handle of sorts that was a foot or foot and a half longer per side of the body. EASY ... :) The above photo shows the body going ON ... but the process could be the same ... for removal.

I also had built a nice platform with rollers so I could move the body around. I got some NICE, big casters ... and 4X4 wood was used for the construction. I wanted it heavy duty ... It would hold a 40 Ford body I believe.

[​IMG]

I have used the same rolling platform a couple times over the years for the 32's I have done and it has been to 3 or 4 friends houses for a couple years also ... so they could use it for their 32's. I planned ahead and it is 3 inches shorter than the ceiling in my garage ... so I can stand it up in a corner when I do not need it. ;)