Register now to get rid of these ads!

removing 302 crank pulley - HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meteor, Oct 8, 2006.

1. meteor

meteor

newbie question; I got the bolt off the crank pulley, now what is the trick for removing a stubborn pulley without damage? motor is an 80ish ford 302. thanks

2. squirrel

squirrel

are you trying to remove the pulley from the damper, or pull the damper from the engine? if you're trying to pull the damper, you need a damper puller, it has a bigass screw in the middle, and bolts to two of the threaded holes in the damper.

if you're just trying to remove the pulley from the damper, take out the four bolts that hold it on.

3. meteor

meteor

sorry, I wasn't clear - it's all new to me.

I have the pulley off, need to get the damper off the motor. In which case you answered my question, I guess I need a damper puller. thanks

4. make sure you use an harmonic balancer puller (bolts to the balancer) and not a gear puller that has jaws to grab the outside of the balancer...that will ruin it

they are sorta cheap to buy , every guy should have one..or a buddy with one you can borrow. some auto parts stores have a Loan-a-tool program , check around

here is what it looks like:

5. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I was just gonna say, loan one from from Autozone/ Pep Boys etc. If you want to buy one, the el cheapos are only about 20 bucks.

6. meteor

meteor

thanks for the info.

I'll probably just buy one, cause this may be my first hot rod but it won't be my last.