Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Remove heat bluing from stainless

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coilover, Jan 30, 2016.

1. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Need to remove heat bluing from stainless caused by welding to the back side without scratching up the front side. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. john worden

john worden
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from iowa

Motorcycle shops sell "Blueaway" for that.

3. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was bending the stainless window trim for the 49 in the Avatar I used heat to bend it and it did blue, I just buffed it out on the wheel with white buffing compound. Good luck.

4. nunattax

nunattax

you could use solvol autosol stainless polish.will also work on chrome and alloy but easy on the chrome its corrosive and will soon wear through chrome.available here at motorcycle shops

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. This. When I built the grill for my truck I had all the parts pre polished and then just hit the areas that were discoloured by welding it together with a small buffing wheel in a drill and some white polish. It didn't take much effort at all to remove.

6. Back when I was ridding a old pan head I bought a lot of snake oil products proclaiming to clean up the bluing on the exhaust pipes, nothing worked as advertised. HRP

7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. I've used Simichrome and also Wenol. Both work reasonably well. Used Blu-Away many years ago, but haven't seen it recently. Not sure if it's still available or not.

9. Don't know what they call it in the U.S., but I have used stuff called "pickling paste". It's some form of acid.

10. redo32

redo32

A good welding shop might have the the pickling paste.