Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Remove brake line flare seat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coilover, Oct 21, 2019.

1. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Put disc brakes on the front of my 37 Buick and need to remove the master cylinder flare seat from the line to the front calipers. Dual master is a drum/drum one so both seats have built in 10# residual pressure valves so have to replace the front one with a 2# valve either in the seat or an inline one. Thinking of using a small tap in the seat hole to pull on if seats aren't in really tight. Any advice? Thanks. If necessary will get another MC even thought present one is brand new.

2. Your on the right track. The Brass seat is a light press in with the bladder behind it. Anything you can thread into the small hole and pull on just a bit will remove it and you can still reuse it. I generally use a sheet metal screw with a large head and then use the pull fingers on my framing hammer to just lift it out.

squirrel and golferforpar like this.
  3. golferforpar

golferforpar
    from Wisc

I agree totally, I found a posting on how to do it and they used a drywall screw, I used that and it was very easy to pull out the brass seat. Any type of screw will do the job.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why are you using a drum/drum master when you really should be using a disc/drum or disc/disc master???

5. squirrel

squirrel

I remember rebuilding a master cylinder for a 67 Plymouth (drum/drum dual cylinder) in the 1970s, the rebuild kit came with a couple screws just the right size to pull the seats, and also two new seats to replace them. Must have made an impression on me, since I remember it after all this time.

The difference between a drum/drum and a disc/drum MC is that the reservoir for the disc side is larger, so it won't run out of fluid as the pads wear. So keep an eye on the fluid level, check it every 5000 miles, you'll be fine. If you ever drive 5000 miles, that is

6. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

If you remove the flare seat what would the inverted flair seal to afterwards?

7. squirrel

squirrel

remove the seat, remove the RPV, replace the seat. It will seal just like it did before.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  8. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Thanks everyone, worked like a charm.