Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remove a pilot bushing the easy way

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old beet, Jan 11, 2010.

1. kami-cozzi

kami-cozzi

holy shit, just got myself in a pickle w a pilot bushing, came to the hamb and searched "pilot bushing removal", and wha laa, this thread. took a bit of trying to get it w grease, the bfh is definately a key factor!

THANK YOU FELLOW HAMBERS!!!!!!!!!

2. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

snap-on remover is the best and cleanest

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

all tech week to the top 1

4. redwilly1949

redwilly1949

I have used grease and a dowel or bolt for years. Yesterday I tried the Play Doh. The Play Doh works so much better. Way less mess...................Great Tip, Thanks........!!!

5. Truckedup

Truckedup

I use a slide hammer with a crude home made hook bit .I have used the grease trick before...Compared to the slide hammer its much slower and messy,but it work just fine.

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

For GM pilot bushings, I've always used a Crafrtsman 3/8 inch drive extension. Pack the grease in, insert the extensions "female" end into the bushing, and use a BRASS hammer to drive it out. Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

That's my favorite way to do one, never had it not work. Though I havn't tried the brass hammer. What's the difference on that? Thanks, BD

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Me too, don't want to screw up a good extension.:D

9. sheltonk7

sheltonk7

dirt works okay too

10. yeaup!!!

11. 1ton

1ton

Silly putty? He He

12. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Why would you want to re-use an old bushing?

13. 57Nailhead

57Nailhead
    from Anna,Ohio

just had to reuse one. 29 chevy. if you buy a repo they dont tell you to shave the outer lip off. put it together and your mainshaft is jammed.didnt have three days to wait on a new pilot so grease, and dowell. ten mins later.... back in business.

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I know a lot of people have no problem getting them out with the grease and some dowel trick, but it has never worked for me. All I get is grease spraying out of the hole (even if it is a tight fit in there) and no movement. I swear I have tried it a bunch of times and a bunch of ways, but still all I get is a mess and no movement on the pilot bushing. :(

Don

15. RussK

RussK
    from Atlanta Ga

I have a universal clutch alignment tool that I now only use to remove pilots, I fill them with putty or grease and use the proper fitting for a snug fit they always come out. I use this method when my slide hammer can’t do it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I am a mechanic by trade so I have three different slide hammers sets to pick from<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>

16. SB5332

SB5332
    from NEW YORK

Or like i did on my 57 chevy use an old input shaft with grease and a hunk of rubber inner tube, car or bike, to pound it out. Made about 50 rubber coins but it came out. The second time i found out it was a bad input bearing on the tranny. This was in 1969 ! Mistake ? Nau, we called this experience.

17. SB5332

SB5332
    from NEW YORK

Mine spun in the hole, so grease and rubber worked for me.
    RE: MARKJENKS

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  18. No, apparently there are two of us.

19. Some lawyer will be suing you soon cause someones kid with a peanut allergy will touch your car!

Attached Files:

20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Give me that number, it won't kill me but I hate peanut butter and would like to be paid for it ;). By the way, seems I'm the 5th person to have a slide puller for that.

21. I tried it the other day and it worked great. I wrapped a bolt that was close to the correct od with masking tape till it fit tight. Then tap tap tap wa la! Slick man. It's a good trick.

22. dizzydale

dizzydale

Hey Don,And I thought i was the only guy that couldn't get the hydraulic method to work,ended up with a hacksaw blade inside the bushing.diz

23. Newer stuff uses pilot bearings so a slide hammer is what you end up using. I've used both methods ( sans the peanut butter)

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

They didn't tell me my puller would be multi purpose. 1st generation SBC with pilot bearing :D

25. derbydad276

derbydad276

lol I used toilet paper yesterday amazed my 17 year old

26. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

NEVER beat on anything made of iron or steel, especially tool steel, with a "regular" steel hammer. A fleck of metal can come off what your beating on, or what you're beating it with. They're like high velocity razor blades. I'd lent my brass hammer out (and never got it back, had to buy a new one), and was trying to "spring" the axle bearing retaining ring with a hammer and chissle (sp?), caught a fleck that imbedded itselfr in my inner thigh; too close to the boys if you know what I mean. I'd seen this many times in my job (X-Ray/C.A.T. Tech); the E.R. Doc got it out with a fluoroscope for guidance, and a sterile magnetic tool. They are like scrapnel, go anywhere and everywhere. Butch/56seandelivery.

27. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Kind of off topic but chisels and punches are made to be hit by a steel hammer. Didn't you have to make them in machine shop? We had to make a chisel, center-punch, drift punches as well as a hammer and screwdrivers. For the chisels and punches, you heat them cherry red in a forge [we also had to make the coke for the forge] and quench them in water or oil, depending on the steel. Then you heat the end you beat on with a torch until it's cherry red and the yellow straw color moves down the tool and the blue color nears the sharpened end when you put it in sand to cool it slowly. This anneals [softens] the steel so it doesn't shatter when hit with a hammer but leaves the business end hard so it holds it's shape. I thought everybody did this in High School. Then again, I thought all machinists could weld too!

We made ball-pein hammerheads on the lathe then drilled and tapped them for a handle before we hardened them in the forge. Then heat the head at the handle connection until the blue color moves to the heads and put it in sand.

I always used either grease or toilet paper for pilot bearings.

28. 1gearhead

1gearhead

If you are using hydraulic pressure to force the pilot bearing out, be fore warned that it can come out with a lot of force, which could potentially cause bodily injury. I have seen it happen. Safest ways are tap threads and bolt or slide hammer.

29. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I've taken over 100 out and never got hurt. The pressure is gone as soon as the edge clears the hole.

I have seen a guy centerpunch himself right between the eyes using a slide hammer to pull one. It was a Wiley Coyote move.

30. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I just replaced the clutch in my 99 Mustang over the weekend and I used bread to remove the pilot busing/bearing. I ended up with crumbs on the floor but it's a heck of alot better than having grease splatter back. After the bearing is out just sweep up the crumbs and make a tuna sandwich