Register now to get rid of these ads!

Removal of broken off dipstick tube from SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lucky Strike, May 13, 2005.

1. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

I bought a new dipstick tube and stick for my truck. 283 Chevy Small block. I could not get it in, then I noticed why the tube was probably missing in the first place. The old tube was broken off in the block. Got any ideas on how to get the old portion of the tube remaining in the block out? I'm looking for a way to grab ahold of it and extract it without leaving shards of metal in my oil pan.

2. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

I would thread a self tapping screw into it, pull it out, and change the oil, with a magnetic drain plug thrown in for insurance.

3. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Push it in. That's what the pickup screen is for. :D

Hahaha I'm KIDDING. Don't do that.

Can't grab it with needle nose pliers? Isn't this causing a big leak?

scrap metal 48 and zzford like this.
  4. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

If it dont come out just drop the pan and push it through.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Find a drill bit that's a close fit in the remaining piece and use that to see what tap is close. Fill the hole with grease, run in a heavily greased tap to about 3/4 of the depth of the piece, and substitute a bolt for the tap as a handle. Do not pull on the tap itself, or your weekend will not be worth living...
    If there's a straght shot at the thing, use a piece of all-thread instead of a bolt and make it into a slide hammer.

6. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Can't grab it with needle nose pliers? Isn't this causing a big leak?[/QUOTE]

Nope. cant get it with needle nosers. No big leak...yet. I put in a new oil pump and pan when I noticed it. I've got 4 quarts in her now. My plan was to put the dip stick in at 4 quarts, drill a hole in the stick, but in the 5th quart, drill another hole at the new 5 quart oil level, but...then I realized why the new tube would not go in, and never did put in the 5th quart. Haven't been running much, but no oil is comming out when I do fire it up. It would probably leak if I don't put in the new tube and add the 5th quart and drive her around a bit.

7. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Bruce, you rule! That sounds like a plan.

8. I had this exact issue on an old 283. A 3/8 coarse thread bolt was just right to thread down into the tube piece, no tap or anything, just turn it in. Then use the bolt head to pry it out, mine came right out.

Crazy Steve and Blues4U like this.
  9. Don't put a drill bit anywhere near it unless you want to pull the pan.

Take a bolt, I think it's either a 5/16 or 3/8 NF that works on a SBC.... put it in the hole, whack it a couple times with a hammer, and then use a socket and ratchet to screw it into the tube. Then, grab ahold of it and pull it out. Us a bolt that screw into it at least 1/2" or more.

I've done this several times, and it works like a charm. Ask 38Chevy454, I did it on one he had busted off in his 283.

Sam.

10. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Thanks. That makes me feel a whole lot better.

11. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Yep. OK. Thought about it and I'm doing it your way.

12. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Excellent solution guys!
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but slightly beveling or chamfering the end of the bolt (like you were going to put a point on it) would help it get down into the tube and get it started. Then start screwing it into the tube and the threads will bite.
    Kinda like a self-starting screw.
    -Brad

'49 Ford Coupe likes this.
  13. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

Dont forget the fresh oil so there's nothing in the pan from working on it. :)

14. chop32

chop32

Ive always had good luck using an easy out...tap it in, turn counterclockwise and the broken portion just spins right out.
    Also, you cant just push in the broken part because small blocks also have (should have) a lower dipstick tube which is smaller in diameter that keeps the dipstick away from the crankshaft.

15. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

OK I got a 3/8 bolt screwed it in fine. But I'm just not able to pull it out. Are you just using a normal bolt? Is there some sort of puller tool or pry-bar or something I should be using?

16. alittle1

alittle1

If you use a piece of redi- rod about 2' long and put a large headed nut on the end , you should be able to slide hammer the piece out.

17. alittle1

alittle1

Let me clarify that a bit, Think slide hammer! Use a 3/8" redi-rod about two feet long and screw it in the tube. Place a piece of steel with a hole thru it over the redi-rod, place large washer and nut on end of 3/8 redi-rod, and use it like a slide hammer to remove piece of tube. GOT IT!

18. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Got it. Eureka!

19. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Well no luck yet. Did the long bold / slide hammer thing,...may try again with a bigger hammer, but I'm thinking of also buying an easy out and giving that a spin...

Thanks to all you guys for helping me out on this.

20. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Who ever named the Easy-out had a sick sense of humor. I'd stick with the slide hammer approach or use a small chisel to split it.

zzford likes this.
  21. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

I'm glad I'm not a dumb as I think I am. I also thought of trying to split it with a chisel. I think it will be OK to do so as I believe the hole in the block is wide near the top to accomidate the dipstick tube and narrow farther down, to just let the stick past.

22. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

Just tried this with 3/8 bolt made into a slide hammer. Worked like a charm. Thanks guys!

cactus1 likes this.
  23. Tech-o-matic!

24. Petejoe

Petejoe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Zoar, Ohio

I really miss that.

cactus1 likes this.
  25. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

Thread in a piece of threaded rod. Place a socket over the rod, place 2 or 3 washers over the top of the socket and run a nut down. The socket will act as a puller.

26. Deuces

Deuces
    from Michigan

27. X-cpe

X-cpe

That's what I did, but I also welded a loop on the head of the bolt and used a slide hammer.

pat59 likes this.
  28. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Drain the oil.. Knock it through.. Use small magnet through drain hole to fish it out...