Register now to get rid of these ads!

remote mounting a radiator/running a flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Law, Jun 8, 2008.

1. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

Hey guys. Im thinking of remote mounting the radiator in my hot rod. It's a pick-up (I know I know, save it)and I want to remote mount the rad in the bed. My question is two part.

1. Will I need to run an inline electric coolant pump in addition to the two factory flathead water pumps? (I don't know if the stock pumps are up to pushing and pulling coolant that far)

and

2. Can I run a single in, single out radiator for this application? Just thinking of fabbing up some coolant pipes that "T" the two banks together and run back the radiator...for the feed and return side.

Some of you will think im an idoit for wanting to do this, and that's ok to.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Rob

2. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Talk to Littleman. He seems to know all about it.

3. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

Oh that's right, Deaths Door step has a remote mounted rad. Thanks.

Rob

4. A couple of the SLC guys know it as well.

5. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

6. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

depending on where you put them 2 90's honda civic rads will work on each side of the drive shaft. i would avoid a y fitting just because there is a potential of cross flow between the 2 sides. running aluminum tubing between the rads will also help with the cooling

7. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

Hrmm... That's a pretty good idea. I am familiar with those rad's and there compact size. That's a pretty good idea. Wonder if I would have to run aux. pumps to move the coolant?

Rob

8. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

keep the radius on the tubing big and the runs straight and it will not be a problem. look into all the tricks to improve the flow of the pump.

9. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

Well, the piping is going to have to go up at some point to get into and out of the rad...

Anyone else?

10. My 29 RPU runs a 355 SBC with a 12% under 6-71. Walker radiator in stock location, no fan. Renault Fuego radiator, just because it was the perfect size, under the right side of the bed with an electric fan. 1 1/4: aluminum tubes cary the water to the second radiator. Stock water pump works fine. Filler neck removed from the second radiator. Just be sure to have a drain cock on the highest point of the second radiator to let air out when you fill the system. One gallon of red antifreeze and a bottle of Red Line water wetter (worth 5 degrees). 185 at 75 mph, 195 in stop and go traffic. On a hot day, sometimes i switch on the fan, still not over 205. Driven it that way for 12 years, it works. Doubt your flattie will make any more heat than a blown small block.

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I am not saying it can't be done but keeping a flathead cool is a chore by itself when its ahead of the engine. My advice would be not to do it.

12. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

Very nice! Thanks for your input.