Register now to get rid of these ads!

remembering old speed shops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by matt Delio, Sep 11, 2011.

1. hrmspeeddirectory1949.jpg Get yourself a copy of Hot Rod Magazines Speed Directory that names speed shops by state in 1949.
    I've only seen a couple copies over the years so they might bea little hard to find.

Mick

2. Kowalski's Speed Shop on Rt. 422 below Reading , Pa.

Splitbudaba likes this.
  3. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

in early 70's i was buying up flathead parts for future projects. took an old 50's HOT ROD mag and made a forn letter of parts i wanted and sent it to many speed shops in the mag. many were gone but CALIFORNIA SPEED SPORT someware in PA., i bought 7 sets of linc. zepher gears $59.00 SET, ALSO HEADERS FOR V8-60, they had a set of unmachined arden heads for a v8-60, should have gotten them

4. els

els

VERY COOL HISTORY. IS THAT THE SAME "REATH" AS "DUNN AND REATH" FUNNY CAR TEAM?. I SAW THE FUNNY CAR IN ARIZONA IN THE 70'S.

jnaki likes this.
  5. jnaki

jnaki

SORRY, THE INFORMATION IS A LITTLE OFF TOPIC ...IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE PRE 65 INFORMATION AND PHOTOS.

Hey E,
    Yes that is the same old Joe Reath sponsorship. By this time period, they had already moved to the big building on Cherry Ave. near Signal Hill. Reath Automotive sponsored many fast drag racers.

Jnaki

FROM JIM DUNN:
    "Guys used to stop by Reath’s shop all the time looking for used parts so they could run their Jeeps and whatnot on nitro at Lions. I asked one of them, ‘Do they have a class there?’ and he said, ‘No, they just pay us appearance money.’ When he told me how much they made, it was like what we [Top Fuel] were getting for being runner-up, and when you ran Top Fuel at ‘the Beach’ you’d better be within a tenth of the record or you didn’t qualify. That’s when I decided to build a Funny Car."

els likes this.