Register now to get rid of these ads!

remembering old speed shops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by matt Delio, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Seward's Speed Shop in Reading PA. and Jack Leary's Speed Shop in Pottstown ,PA.

2. Buildy

Buildy

I guess not really a speed shop,but I used to live very close to Baldwin Motion, that was on Sunrise Highway.

3. mikesea

mikesea

Motion was indeed a speed shop.What many dont know is they actually had satillite places where they had stock like headers and manifolds.I bougt headers from them and had to pick up elsewhere.I spent counless hrs there ,DREAMING of ,SOMEDAY.Finally had it ,with my 69 Elcamino,built up 327 thanks to Island Porting,and an awesome custome paint job done by my uncle the "Englisman "from West Islip and Mass.What a time to be a young guy

4. Last Hoorah

Last Hoorah

How could we forget Langhorne speed shop on rt1in Pa. Think it just closed after many years?

5. If you lived in Portland Oregon in the 60's, it was Radke's or Exhaust Specialties.
    OR, if you were REALLY fast, Columbia Racing engines.

here's Radke's.

[​IMG]

rfraze likes this.
  6. power wagon

power wagon

:(nothing up here

7. Here's Exhaust Specialties

[​IMG]

8. Columbia Racing Engines

[​IMG]

9. Muttley

Muttley

This was on the quarter window of my old '39 Standard:

[​IMG]

10. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I'm with you on the HUB Auto thing. I went to Northeastern University in Boston and on Saturdays would walk over there from my dorm room and check the place out. Lots of great cars coming and going too. I think seeing that stuff and wanting it provided some of the motivation to get through college.

11. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

California speed and sport new brunswick, N.J.
    Used to drive down all the way from Poughkeepsie, N.Y. when I was building my 1st coupe. Don't know if they're still there but they used to be great-

Attached Files:

12. barstowpo

barstowpo

Service Center and Supershops were chain stores back in the day.

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Hank's Speed shop Berwyn, Pa.

[​IMG]

32FordWoody likes this.
  14. chryco

chryco
    from Winnipeg

Some shops from Winnipeg Cda.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  15. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

Christian's speed shop in Huntington WV. Leo C had a tracheotomy and used a voice box to talk. Hated Nationwide auto parts with a passion, said they sold factory seconds. I bought a bunch of stuff from him and used to spend my lunch break from my gas station job there. Some people called him Lying Leo, but those guys are all assholes anyway. He was always good to a dumb assed kid (me) and that's what matters.

16. chrisbob12

chrisbob12

Lees's Speed Shop in Oakland, Ca. E14th and 13th ave. right next to the local Fire Station.

17. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Dougs Racing Stables, Tacoma Wa.

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

Mikesea & raybhotrod, I remember Square Speed Shop on Jericho Tpke in Floral Park, NY and Ray Bop. It was the only speed shop in the area. I lived in New Hyde Park. We used to go to the Big Bow Wow on Crossbay Blvd and to the Connecting Hwy. We also used to go to Schorrs drive in on Sunrise Hwy. and used to street race on the Jones Beach Causeway. This was in the 60's.

We mostly cruised the Hillside Ave area looking for street races and hide. Mostly hung out at ice cream stands and the Camay diner in Williston Park. Went to the Westhampton Drag Strip on the weekends.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  19. Here's BELL AUTO PARTS in Bell Ca, racing first mail order parts store.
    They had a store on the salt every year back in the 50's--70's.

Attached Files:

20. The Chevy Shop (Chicago, NW side) opened in 1968, closed in April 2011

Attached Files:

21. snaptwo

snaptwo

Terry Roche's Century Speed Shop on "A" Street , Vegas, he had a Scotty Fenn chassis with a mopar poly. He later partnered with Al "the racers pal" Hunter and Phil Edmunston. H.E.R. Speed Shop on Main St. home of The Hunter,Lewis & Perry AA/Fa.

22. 26Troadster

26Troadster

jack's u.s.a. speed shop and eastex speed in houston texas. i don't know if their still there, i have been living in alabama for the last 28 years

23. PaRatRod

PaRatRod

Yup- I live 5 minutes from it. It closed last year and is now and electrical supply house :(

I miss that place!

Precision Performance was another one that closed a couple of years back in Bristol, PA.

24. guffey

guffey

This came from a shop in Birmingham

guffeystuff 008.jpg

25. snaptwo

snaptwo

"Dante Duces " speedshop , didn't hang there too much because Duce was too smart and cool. He made one pass down the Henderson Drag Strip in a SBC powered FED beating Gratz and Walkers ailing Olds powered dragster and retired undefeated ! No bull ! Next thing we know he conned his way into the USA drag team by mis-repesentation and imitation . I guess in his eyes ,he was a huge sucess. To us in Vegas he was just Zero.

26. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Grew up outside Phila on the Main Line and used to ride my biike to a speed shop I think in Devon - too long ago to remember the name but to a 14 year old kid it was like a trip to the candy store. I can still picture the store, I think it was on Route 202 but its been over 45 years so the memory is somewhat faded.

27. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not to hijack this but if anyone is interested in a Sun 900 scope like the one in this old ad PM me, my old boss has one for sale in good working condition with all attachments (in SoCal).

28. prpmmp

prpmmp

Hey!! Was it Hanks Speed Shop on route 30 Lancaster pike? How about K+G in Havertown now in Broomall on West Chester Pike? K+G is still open with a small speed shop in the back of a large model train store in the front! I,ll have to take a ride to get some pictures!! Pete

32FordWoody likes this.
  29. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did some Google searching after this thread came out and it must have been Hanks on Route 30. From what I gather the original owner passed back in the early 2000's. Spent a lot of $$ in various SoCal speed shops after relocating from PA but nothing beats the memories of riding your 26 inch single speed bike miles in the heat and humidity to look at real hot rods. As the commercial says "priceless"

32FordWoody likes this.
  30. prpmmp

prpmmp

With out a doubt!! Priceless!! We are about the same age,do you remember the hot shops in Bryn mar? Scottys in Springfield? Charlies in Springfield? Front street in Philly? The bikes with the banana seats? Skate boards? How about the blue route over Brynmar ave around 320(finished around 1972 was not opened till the 80,s) Great stuff!! Pete