Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remembering Ed "Big Daddy" Roth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FRITZ, Apr 4, 2010.

1. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

I was a big Fan as a kid, then I got older and lost sight of finkdom.
    at one point in my life I had hit bottom and re-discovered Roth.
    I might be dead or in jail now if I didn't find something positive to focus on.
    I built the "Roswell Rod" as a tribute to my Hero.
    FRITZ

Attached Files:

2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Fritz....how about some photos of "Roswell" for those who aren't familiar with it...:)

3. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

Mazooma, I forgot to attach the pic, I went back and did it.
    here are more pics of all things Roth I have been involved with.
    My restorations of the "Druid Princess" & "Mega Cycle"
    My all out clone of the "Outlaw"
    and the "Mysterion" That I got the chance to paint & pin stripe!
    FRITZ

Attached Files:

4. aircoup

aircoup

i got an autographed t shirt from roth at the 99 ,50th roadstershow one of my most treasured souveniers

5. Von Franco

Von Franco

Tiredford, I would have to agree with Mozooma1,That was not ED...............

6. Kruhe67

Kruhe67
    from USA

This is awesome picture, wish I had a better one. What is the car frame Mr. Roth is sitting? L A Zoom?

[​IMG]

7. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was just looking at this ad this morning in a October 1964 Hot Rod magazine. Great detail in the drawing...hope it shows.

[​IMG]

8. I felt fortunate that a couple months prior to his passing I had a chance to say hi to Ed and get him to autograph a couple of T-shirts at the Chicago World of Wheels car show. Growing up, Ed's T-Bucket inspired fiberglass creation also had a tremendous influence in my hot rod aesthetic. In tribute, I've put together a brief movie on that monumental hot rod, including some of the recreations of the Outlaw as well.

9. fletcher62

fletcher62
    from Kewanee

I met Big Daddy in '97 Iwas too star struck, so i just had him sign my shirts and i was off like a teeny bopper that justmet the beatles.

10. Hey Mazooma, do both of the current tenents of Roth's old shops know the history of those buildings?

11. bonesy

bonesy

I've posted this before, but it is one of my favorite things. Big Daddy is the best.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. roddinron

roddinron

I've admired him since I was a kid. When I finally met him, he didn't let me down, what a great guy. He told my wife to turn on the video camera, then proceded to tell us a story about camping at the beach, I've gotta find it and put it on You Tube.
    Meantime, here's a picture of a crown and bridge case I did for myself about a year before he died, taken before I had it cemented in, it's still in there. Sorry about the poor quality, scan.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  13. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

My own tribute to the man , by the way , do you think he would be considered "traditional" by today's standards , this is the back of my '51 fleetline....

Attached Files:

14. roddinron

roddinron

IMO, if Ed Roth would have come along today, he'd probably be banned from the HAMB. But because of him, there are a lot of guys here doing some real "outside the box" things and being praised (as well they should be).
    Ed didn't want to do what had already been done, he did his own thing, and to me, that's the truest definition of the rod and custom "tradition".

15. freebird101

freebird101

he was just a totality amazing man

16. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I got to meet the Big One at the Detroit Autorama just before he died. He and his wife were working the booth and I stopped to pick up a couple of items. He was across the way taking to someone and his wife asked if she could help me. I replied that I would take a couple of things provided he would sign them. She went over and drug him away from his conversation to do the signing. He started up a conversation like we had known each other for years. We made small talk while he signed the items and when finished he reached out to shake my hand and thank me. As I reached for his hand it struck me how big they were and how much work they had done. It was a "moment" that I will always remember and it was the first thing that came to my mind when I heard of his passing. Thanks Ed.

Frank

18. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

I had the pleasure of meeting Ed in ’84 back in Ohio. I still have the shirt he airbrushed for me and his business card. Slim

19. First time I met Ed was in the Boston W.o.W. in 1991.Gary Mizar was working with him at the time and in the course of our conversation he mentioned that someone had walked off with Ed's brushes.
    I had my striping kit in the car and offered him whatever he needed.He picked out what had to be the rattiest looking brush in my box(should've thrown it away)and said,"This will do nicely;thank you."
    As I was getting ready to leave,he said,"I'd like you to have a shirt for your trouble" and I replied,"Only if you autograph it." At the time he was going through some kind of legal hassle having to do with the use of his name(He legally couldn't even sign his name to anything!)but said,"Sure;no problem."
    I picked out a Rat Fink shirt and he wrote down on the bottom(next to his imprinted signature)......"Ray-Thanks for da brush;Ed'"Big Daddy Roth '91".
    That shirt today has the collar just about falling out and there are holes everywhere but that signature is still very much intact;one of my favorite pieces of Roth memorabilia.
    One of my greatest pieces is a trophy that Ed's widow presented to me at a Rat Fink Reunion for the work on my 55 Safari wagon that was a tribute to him.
    I also have a great trash can that Ed drew out and Jeff Crank painted at a show in Dayton Ohio in 1998.The enclosed pic is of Ed doing another trash can on that date.I think Greg Cooper has that one.
    Rest in peace my brother of the brush.

Attached Files:

Oldstrk likes this.
  20. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

Kruhe67, Thats the "stealth 2000" That pic appeared in a book called "The artist within"
    I believe
    FRITZ

21. Zor

Zor
    from Phoenix

Fritz,

You are a ruler.

22. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

23. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

Ed on the pile of old engines is one of my Fav pic's of him
    Fritz

24. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I couldnt agree more!

25. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

the spirit of Ed Roth lives on
    on the trunk lid of my A

Attached Files:

26. A young Ed and the Beatnik Bandit
    [​IMG]

27. Fritz
    I'm afraid I don't have anything to post. Maybe I can find a picture of a gearshift knob he gave to a 4 year old crippled kid in '59 when I get home.

Mr Roth is good folks where ever he landed. Him and the Ol' Man are sipping cognac and laughing at us today as everyday.

May he never be forgotten

Benno

28. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

29. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

what do ya mean Benno, Ya just shared something right there!
    Fritz

30. R.I.P Ed "BIG DADDY" Roth I remember when I was a kid in elemetery school finding a book in the libary of Roth.The book covered the build of the Mysterion,I thought that was so cool an new I wanted to be a hot rodder an also a bodyman.Roth was a big influence on me an my love for Hot Rods.