Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remember Your First Model Car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmitchell70, Jan 20, 2011.

1. maybe just the therapy i need
    .. gluing some parts on upsidedown and to the instruction sheet

only about 50 vintage kits boxed up here to hack up..

i'm 54 what am i saving em for?

as a kid used to buy /trade for all my model builders friends leftovers , sprues and decals ... even diggin model parts out of garbage at the dump..dig dig dig for that matching wheel or hood..

even studied plastics tech. in high school ..
    what went wrong?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  2. I can remember my first model that I built in the sixties, 32 Ford pickup hot rod and next was a 49 Merc custom.

3. fauxsmobile

fauxsmobile

4. patman

patman

Here's a picture of my model cars from when I was in 4th grade or so. Hadn't quite mastered the art of painting yet...or photography for that matter.

The ones I remember:
    - Big Red Baron
    - Barris Phone Booth T
    - Eliminator Cougar
    - Little Red (white?) Wagon
    - Herbie

Can't remember the name of the car carrier (middle shelf, far right)

Oh, and check out the cool dragster wallpaper too!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn Patman! I want that wall paper!!
    Funny but I had a lot of white models on the shelf once, I also have an interest in old airplanes at least they came in green and/or brown!!

Doc.

6. mtflat

mtflat

It could have been that one. I don't remember the box it came in or the maker. Only recall it was molded in gray and I went with the chevron taillights instead of the teardrops.

7. mikes51

mikes51

Sounds just like the ones I built. Don't forget putting on every decal that came with the kit too. Mine looked alot like this one.

[​IMG]
    pic found on the net

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  8. Deuces

Deuces

It's all great stuff guys!! :)

9. Deuces

Deuces

10. Jax2A

Jax2A

Remember it? Still have it. It was a 32 5 window. One of those 3-in-1 kits, AMT I think. I build it as a full fendered job, no hood running the Ford small block. I remember my dad taking me to the auto parts store so I could buy real car paint for it. Dark blue with a bit of metalic in it. I was so proud of it. My sister threw a wet towel in my room and smashed it. After sulking about it for a while I decided to rebuild/repaint it. I started to bob the fenders and was experimenting with paint... and well it became a stalled project. This past summer I found it while rebuilding my dad's barn (the roof caved in from snow last year). I can't decide if I want to save it as I last touched it as a kid or rebuild it into the rod vision I had back then. Any way, here it is as it looks now:

Attached Files:

11. Deuces

Deuces

It could use a little bit of work to bring it back to life... :D

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I started 'way early...9 years old, I had built a model for my grandmother, a 1/32 scale Revell Highway Pioneers 1915 Center Door T, just like my Grandpa had in the '20s. I then discovered the new 69-cent Hot Rod kit, a channeled '32 roadster in the same series.
    The Center Door T had dropped off the shelf and broke meantime, and in Hot Rod magazine there was Jack Chrisman's '29 Tudor sedan...
    I chopped the top on the Center Door, cut the hood off at the cowl, and sanded the edges of the top round until it looked "Model-A-ish." The '32 kit gave up its front end, rear end, wheels/tires (all plastic) and its flathead, and the shell. It resembled Chrisman's, but left me longing for models of cooler stuff!
    Little did I know that 1/25 and and Monogram and the AMT company were tooling up right then...

13. Deuces

Deuces

....... And the rest is history as they say... :)

14. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

'34 Ford tudor sedan. They were cheap almost 20 years ago!

15. Deuces

Deuces

16. A '52 Jaguar XK120 roadster but it was mostly snapped together so I guess that doesnt really count.
    The first one I acually glued and painted was a '56 Eldorado convertible I pasted together on the 4th of July on our backyard picnic bench in 1956.
    Loooooong time ago.
    Now I'm doing the 1:1 scale.

17. Deuces

Deuces

I've only bought one snap kit.. And it's a newer one. It came with a 1/64 diecast '05 Ford GT. I got the kit on clearance for $6.00 bucks. :)

18. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

That's exactly why I don't build models anymore. Every dollar I spend on plastic is a dollar I can't spend on steel.

-Dave

19. navy48

navy48

MY first model? can't say for sure, but I think it was a 60 Plymouth Valiant. my dad built models and he had quite a collection in the basement, where he built them. one day....I think I was about 4 or 5, I decided I would "help" him with his models. I opened up several boxed, unbuilt models and spray-painted them. needless to say I couldn't sit down for several days....and wasn't allowed in the basement for probably 6 months. :eek:

20. Cortney

Cortney

My first was either a 57 Nomad, or the "Orange Crate" 32 sedan. That was about 24-25 years ago!

21. Deuces

Deuces

Those are some great kits....

22. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like it, can we see some more pics of this fiddy seven? What did you do for the doors, are they aluminium?
    Just great,
    Doc.

23. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

My first 1:25 scale was an AMT 39-40 Sedan in 1961. I'm rebuilding one that was a later issue from the early seventies now. I guess that and the fact my dad had three 40 Fords during the sixties is why they are my favorite old car.

DCP_0597.JPG

gff2-vi.jpg

24. Deuces

Deuces

25. As best as I can recall it was a 1:24 scale T Bucket but no longer have it . Not all of it anyway. I do have some crappy pics that I took with my first camera a Kodak Instamatic. Pic taken in 1971 and the car built in about 1968.

I have attached them . I hope this triggers some memories out there as I can not track down the manufacturer of the kit.

It was molded in red plastic and came with some racing number decals which can be seen in the pics.

I later kit bashed it and pirated the blower and tri-carb set up together with wheels complete with full moon discs and the droopy exhausts. I put them on a Monogram Model A Coupe in about 1974. That pic is rather better .

Anyone recognize the T- bucket kit?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  26. Deuces

Deuces

Pictures look a little to fuzzy... Could it be the "Little T"??? I have the newer version with the little trailor and that one is 1/24 scale....

27. Deuces,
    I have considered the "Little-T" as best I can but do not believe that is it.

Yes, those pictures are fuzzy I just hope some of those details described allow someone to identify it.

Thanks for your interest.

28. rat nasty

rat nasty

my first was a monogram boss mustang??thats long gone!this is a 55 chevy that I 1/2 finished back in 1990 the body with a section,chop,shaved,thunderbird roof swap,frenched,molded rear split bumper,1/2 doors,58 chevy head lights,decked trunk,etc...also planned a corvette chassis!now it just sits in the box!if anyone was interested in finishing it up let me know I would luv to see it done and i dont plan on it?no time or patience left!!

Attached Files:

• 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      376.5 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      405 KB
      Views:
    • 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      394.4 KB
      Views:
    • 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      394.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  29. Deuces

Deuces

Looks slick! :)

30. terryr

terryr
    from earth

When I was very young I first got a toy tractor from a neighbor woman who worked for the company. It was orange and all in pieces. Weird. My mother put it together with household cement.

In elementary at Christmas we picked names and exchanged presents. Someone got me Auroras Beatnik Box. When I opened it I started to cry because it was all broken. Mother told me it was supposed to be like that, and again got the household cement. It was in yellow plastic and I didn't paint it.
    While looking for images I also saw two others I had. ScatCat and RamRod. I just noticed ScatCat has a Rolls Royce grill and engine.
    They lasted until I got fireworks, then the remains were kitbashed.

It looks like Beatnik Box had a 409 with a paxton.

Attached Files: