Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remember Your First Model Car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmitchell70, Jan 20, 2011.

1. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Lil' Coffin, 69 Roadrunner (my Dad was a Mopar salesman) and The Mummy - remember those??? About 8 inches tall and came with a base to stand it on. Cool!!

2. back2thewoods

back2thewoods
    from ct.

im going to say hemi-fiat, and found it a couple years back, sitting in my showcase, with a bunch of vintage models from 60's -70's. also roth monsters

3. Great thread!

My very first was a AMT '61 Corvair 3 in 1 my Dad gave me!

This was in 1962 and I just built it straight from the box with as many of the custom parts on it as I could fit. No paint, just all white and glue...LOL

Back then they sure gave you enough parts to build many custom or race versions in those AMT kits as you wanted. That sparked a lifetime of building & collecting that I still do to this day.

Joel

4. Deuces

Deuces

Here's some of the kits I own..

Attached Files:

5. skywolf

skywolf

MPC's Vending Machine. Some of its parts are still buried in my model car graveyard.

6. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

How cool is that,,:D

7. Deuces

Deuces

I'm still tryin' to dig up that Belair kit I mentioned about earlier... I'll give it a shot tomorrow..

8. Deuces

Deuces

Most of the kits I have are muscle car related... Even those are pretty cool.. :cool:

9. Barry-Ct.

Barry-Ct.

My first model kit was a AMT 34 Ford pickup. Had a flathead v8 that was all chrome! I think I did that one in 1965. I know there were later variants of that kit, but the original ones from the early 60's were the best.

Barry

50 F-1

10. Mr Mayo

Mr Mayo
    from Huff, ND

This was my first model car. My older sister gave it to me for my birthday when I was about 11 or 12. As I recall, I didn't do a very good job on its construction, but it got me started on a hobby I enjoyed for many years after.

11. Deuces

Deuces

I think I've seen that kit for sale yesterday.....

12. silent rick

silent rick

mine was jungle jim's camaro

13. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was the AC Ace that was built into the Cobra not the Cunningham, unless you mean you converted the Cunningham?

I built a Pantera with help but the first model I bilt all on my lonsome was built from a load of parts. 39 Chev sedan delivery body, unknown chassis, no guards, diff was a 1/32 truck item, motor was probebly a SBC but was peiced together from many, many bits and peices! It was channeled and painted powder blue.
    I had just finished it and showed my uncle who promptly dropped it!:eek:

Got me hooked on models, my collection topped 1000 kits untill recently (A few months ago) I lost everything. Started re-building the collection and have about 6 kits now.
    This is part of my old collection...........could almost cry!!:(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out the rest here,
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v613/docwatson1938/Models/#!cpZZ4QQtppZZ24

Doc.

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dont know why the pictures wont show up, try the link at the bottom. Sorry,
    Doc.

15. Deuces

Deuces

Here's a few more of mine.....:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

16. Homemade44

Homemade44

My first was a '56 Ford convertible made by Revell. It was yellow and I made it two tone by painting the bottom black. Painted the chrome trim silver and the centers of the seats black. I was about 12 when I built it.

17. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I had one of them too. I think this is the model, pictured in black and yellow on the box, but really just yellow.

This thread has reminded me of some models I had a long time ago and haven't thought about for a while. I searched and found a few pictures on the internet of my first models, which were all Revell. Here's the Ferarri, the V-8 hot rod, and the MG, along with the Cad that donated it's engine for my first engine swap...into the MG.

Attached Files:

18. Deuces

Deuces

So, what's the story on that last picture??? The lady with the red dress on can't figure out who to hop in with??? That's cool! :D

19. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Maybe somebody can help me out here.
    After the Revell model kits, I moved on to some other brand whose name I can't remember. The scale was bigger than Revell and the cars differed because you had to screw the bottom platform onto the body with little metal screws provided. I remember having a Pegasso and, I think, a Jaguar xk120 coupe. Anybody remember these? I think this is what the Pegasso looked like but it may have been made by another company.

Attached Files:

20. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My first was a 57 Chevy with opening doors, trunk and hood started it around 1967 and I will get around to finishing it some day and NO it is not for sale I will get to it some day..........

21. Deuces

Deuces

I have that one also... Maybe I'll start on it one of these years...:rolleyes:

22. Nowhere near my first, but I gotta get around to finishing this someday.

Attached Files:

• HR01.jpg
      HR01.jpg
      File size:
      293.8 KB
      Views:
  23. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Old sprint car. Thing that I remember is white plastic tires that you had to glue together and paint black. I think it was around 2 bucks. Should have FOG by may name for F'ING OLD GUY.

24. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

Weird Ed-I didn't know there was a "sister". I'm going to have to check eBay. Thanks!

25. That's what I remember too

26. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

The year was 1958. The model was an AMT 58 Impala ragtop. There was no engine in the kits that year, but it did include some huge "bubble" fender skirts and an add-on continental kit. Full length lake pipes and glue-on louvers were also included in the kit. It was really cool at the time!

27. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

Doc- I'm sorry about your loss. That looks like some collection!

28. GoatRoper

GoatRoper
    from Elgin Il

My first was the Red Baron, it had a little tri-wing Fokker with it. I bought the reproduction a couple of years ago and was surprised that it was smaller than I remembered...

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

I remember Dad building them, he'd heat up a knife and press it on the axle to mushroom it. When finished they were placed on the picture window sill in the living room. I can remember this as clear as it happened yesterday. Still have them, plus some NOS kits I've picked up over the years. This must have been the start of car things for me in the mid 1950's.

30. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I not only remember my first "real" model car, but I remember how I got it! It was about 1970 (ish) and I had been building 1/32 scale snap kits, but they weren't the real deal. But the 1/24 glue kits were $2 and were way out of my pay scale. I was also taking swimming lessons at the local pool, but couldn't pass because I was afraid to jump off the diving board. After about the third day of climbing back down the ladder without jumping, my Dad told me he would buy me a 1/24 model if I would jump. I was scared to death but wanted one so bad, I didn't hesitate to jump in. That same day I got the MPC model of Carl Casper's Young American dragster that I had been drooling over for a month...