Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remember Your First Model Car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmitchell70, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

:D
    [​IMG]

2. Orlando1701

Orlando1701

Ya it was a 57' Corvette my Dad and built when I was about five. We did more airplanes than cars to be honest, sadly none of them survived. He was in the Air Force and every time we moved all my model airplanes and cars were destroyed.

3. Harms Way

Harms Way

Most of mine and my brothers were unfortunately destroyed from time to time in surprise attacks involving "ladyfingers", firecrackers and BB Guns,.... :eek::cool::D:D

In the attackers defense,.. It seemed like a good idea at the time. :rolleyes:

4. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

Lil' Coffin and a Mack chain drive beer truck (I forgot the name of it though)

Steve

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Earliest kits I remember building, can't say which was the first.

img389.jpg img397.jpg

Not the coolest, grew up in the 70s. Also quite the pair but my dad has a thing for tri fives and owned a lifted datsun with jeep axles at the time.

6. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I remember when you could still get M-80s. Our favorite game was try to find the biggest piece in the dirt lot behind Honeywell, don't know why we never caught any scrapnel. Would also really do a number on a G.I. Joe helicopter.:D Ahh, the good old days.

7. patman

patman

Remember the glue that came out called "NoTox"? Smelled like lemons...non toxic...didn't work worth a damn.

Deuces likes this.
  8. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

My first was a Monogram '57 Bel Air hardtop. Of course I screwed it up ( I was 10).

Attached Files:

9. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

My first model car was a 1956 Buick convertible, maybe 1/32 scale. As I remember, there was a series of ads that ran in the Weekly Reader, or maybe Junior Scholastic, in the late mid fifties when I was in grade school. Three convertibles were shown - the '56 Buick, '56 Ford ?, and something else like a Mercury. They were early customizing kits, the first I'd ever seen. You could build the car as an open stock car racer with Air Lift and Bardahl decals, numbers, and maybe a engine callout on the hood, or with a bunch of scallops as a custom (I used every one). I can't remember much else except the body was well detailed and quite accurate. You sent your cash in an envelope, it seems they were about a dollar, and it took weeks for the kit to come (it was mailed to the school)l. Does any one else remember these kits?

10. don v.

don v.

1960 Cadillac, AMT I think - heavily customized and decaled.

11. L Wright

L Wright
    from N.C.

Monogram 40 ford pick up. My 6 year old nephew getting into them now. I'm so glad! I get to start all over again. His first and on going is the AMT Dick Brannan's Bronco 65 Fx'r

12. randall_pitz

randall_pitz

this was the first one i built still have it

13. Sonicjagstang

Sonicjagstang
    from IL.

I remember getting several of the tiny snap tite cars so hard to say which was first. I do remember my first glue together car, 50 Chevy convertible. I was six at the time.

Attached Files:

14. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Some of the re-issued kits are still that way like this 59 Retractable from Revell.

[​IMG]

In the blue tube? That stuff was all kinds of useless.

That was the very first kit I ever chopped the top on, and it turned out perfect and was a massive confidence booster as a kid trying to customize my kits, sadly my oldest brother burned it (he destroyed almost all my kits :confused:) but after that I successfully chopped and hard topped the AMT 49 Merc coupe, chopped the Revell 31 Ford woody, and countless others, I have 30 unbuilt or partially built kits in my closet for when I finally get back into it... every time I get on this thread I want to pull them out!

Attached Files:

15. 1949*john

1949*john

yup , it was the 36 3w ford , i allways put the chopped top on .

16. 1oldrat

1oldrat

The first one I built was a cool chevy van.My next one was a dual engine 66 olds 442.It wasn't the Hurst Hairy olds,It was a street version called Streat Freak,I wish I could find another one.

17. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

my first was a 58 imperial convert by amt. a 10th birthday present. don't remember who gave it to me but they created a monster! of course, mom threw out all my models while i was in the army (including my "big deuce").

18. white64

white64
    from Maine

Monogram Black Widow from W.T. Grants. i butchered it, but i caught the bug anyway!

19. I had the '59 Pontiac 3-in-one starchief convertible...came in white plastic. I painted mine bright red with skirts, contentinental kit and dual antennes...

20. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

I remember building the first one with my dad, around 1965. It was a yellow 3 wheeled car. The front wheel actually steered and was controlled by a T handle on the console. The body was sort of a triangle shape with a clear bubble roof over the red bucket seats.

Does anybody have an idea as to what model it was? I've done google searches and have never been able to id it.

21. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Earliest one I remember my dad and I building was a '62 Tempest convertible; first one I put together myself was an AMT '65 Chevelle AWB funny car. Also had a good number of dealer promos which I liked because they didn't fall apart so easily when you played with them in the backyard... Oldest surviving ones I have were ones my dad built; the Monogram Duesenberg phaeton and Cord 812, and the Lindberg Mercedes SSK.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  22. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

had a few snap tite funny car models.... a vega, i think a gremlin etc...

23. Deuces

Deuces

You could still buy those new.....

24. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

My mother drove a retratable for many years and I had a love for them so I had to have that model when it came out in the yellow first issue, man what a nightmare!!! I got it together but the top did not work like it was suppose to, imagine that! LOL, I did however buy several of the reissues like that, they are comming out just fine I must say, love my models!! Jim:D

25. Deuces

Deuces

Does Revell still make that glue???.. Ii can't find it anywhere...:(

26. Deuces

Deuces

I still have a few tubes of that.... Worthless!!

27. rogerfurgason

rogerfurgason
    from britton mi

28. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

My first one with my dad was a 57 Chevy. I was probably 8. I think it was 1/12 scale so it had tons of detail: chrome fender vents, chrome inserts in the dash and spark plug wires. We put all of the optional decals on it: flames, pin stripes, racing equipment stickers. It probably looked awful but its still my all time favorite. My brother broke it and about five others into a million pieces when the shelf fell on him while he was trying to get them down to play with them.

29. muffler guy

muffler guy
    from dfw,texas

First model car was a 59' chev conv. bright yellow, slammed, lancers, lakes,wsw and fabric red & white interrior with 2 chrome pipes exit under the lic plate....Still got IT! sets next to my 2nd.. a 60' Skyl
    iner conv. its red...Think I was 11 or 12.. those were some good times...

30. Deuces

Deuces

I have about a dozen of those kits...