Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remember Your First Model Car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmitchell70, Jan 20, 2011.

1. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

^ I'm pretty sure thats what it is ,I did'nt like the looks of that and swaped it for injection, rad shell,moon tank,diff headers

2. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

my first one was the 1903 ford... I remember because it was that yellow plastic... revell highway pioneers... box in post #23.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  3. fordy7coupe

fordy7coupe
    from Wylie, TX

Speaking of Auto World, remember when your order arrived in the mail and they included a new catalog, AW decals, and a sheet of these license plates?

auto world.jpg

4. Very cool!

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I did a lot of mail order with AW, models and slot cars, but I don't remember these plate sheets at all. Neat. Gary

6. GaryC.

GaryC.

On a sunny Saturday afternoon in 1960
    I walked home with my first, $1.49, AMT 3 in 1 kit. It was a 1959 Buick
    hardtop. Soon after that I was addicted. I had about one of everything I
    could get my, glue covered, fingers on.

The picture is what AMT used to do back then. All of the box art was the
    same. On the side of the box was a white panel with the type of model
    stamped on.

I can still remember exactly where I was when I opened the box on my
    way home. That gleaming white styrene and the smell of a fresh kit are
    something that sticks with me 52 years later.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  7. THAMES DRAG PANEL, I'm 53 now and STILL looking to build the real deal. Note to self- talk to the financial advisor this week and see if we can make it happen.

8. stinsonart

stinsonart

Mine was the first AMT kit on the market (as I remember anyway), 1958 Ford convertible.

9. jpm49c

jpm49c

Well, In 1954 my Grandfather help me build my first model car. A Gowland and Gowland Highway Pioneers 1910 Model T. This is not that car but the same one we built together. The case is marked Gowland and Gowland Copyright 1952. These were some of the first plastic model kits ever made. I have been building kits ever since!
    Thanks Grampa! John

Attached Files:

10. The first I remember was a '59 Buick molded in red.It was like a promo but had to be assembled with screws and could be rolled around.I got it at the hardware store my dad worked at for a short time.Wish I still had it!

11. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

Jr craftsman series kit / amt .:cool:

12. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Mine was a AMT Junior Craftsman '59 Edsel in the violet box. Got it at the local Kress in 1967. I was 5. I found another one, unbuilt, on eBay about ten years ago and added it to my collection.

[​IMG]

13. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

"Gives Big Brother Results" on the 59 Edsel, that is so cool!

I have not been working on any of my models in a long time, but this thread is making me itch to get back to it!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  14. simple454

simple454
    from Yuma Az.

My first, and the one that got me hooked on hot rods at about 7 or 8 years old was a twin '32 Ford kit. I'm thinking Monogram? The roadster was molded in a copper color with silver bright trim, and the 5 window was black with chrome. Does anyone remember those?

15. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Copper color plastic sounds like the old Strombecker '32 roadster kit, c1960.

16. 29ToyA

29ToyA

AMT's 36 Ford 3 window Coupe. It was my Dads old kit and he helped build it and paint.

17. t-rod

t-rod

First kit that Dad didn't help with was the AMT '33 Willys, the light blue with flames circa 1982 release. We had a '36 Willys coupe in the garage at the time so it was a natural choice for me.

18. Sonny48

Sonny48
    from Mo.

56 crown victoria...53 yrs. ago. As a little side note...I had a neighbor who was an artist...and he designed and drew the art work on cereal boxes, model cars,trains planes,ships...and any other model you can think of. Actually, any kind of box with any art work on it. and even at 8yrs. old I thought it was really cool that he would let us snot nosed kids come in his house and watch him work. Too cool

19. Deuces

Deuces

I've been working on the AMT '66 Nova kit the last couple of days... I'll post some pics tonight of what I have done... Hope it turns out good!!

20. Karrera

Karrera

For some reason I got started building airplane models - since my dad worked for Lockheed and had started building model airplanes when he was a boy that was a natural initiation into the hobby. After building around a hundred different airplanes I finally branched into some car models in the early sixties.

The first one I remember building was Bill Cushenberry's Silhouette. The most difficult one I built was one of the 1/8 scale Jaguar XKE coupe models.

21. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

Deuces - looking forward to the pics

22. "The fresh smell of styrene".
    Ahhhh....a fellow "Plasti-Holic"!

23. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I honestly don't remember because I built so many of them in the past and I am 48 years old. I remember buying the kits from Kmart, a general store in the neighborhood called Millsmart. I remember buying the Quicksilver at the Cars of Stars in Buena Park. I remember building 1/64 scale models and they were well detailed for such a small thing. I remember Pactra paints and how I could just walk up and grab a can of spray paint . Those were the days

24. 64gtoguy

64gtoguy

My first was the ORANGE CRATE !

25. Deuces

Deuces

I'm working on it... :D

26. DEROSAGIRL

DEROSAGIRL

Loved model cars. I was always putting them together and leaving them at the body shop.
    I specifically remember doing what I called the "livin the vida loca impala "- tried to chop the top. LOL lot's of chrome and a bright paint job I tried to metal flake....didn't turn out the best but it was always in my dads office at the old shop on 10th Street - all my models burned when that shop burned :(

27. classiccarrepair

classiccarrepair

my first kit was a 1949 mercury snap together police car from jollys hobbies from apache plaza , both are long gone but have been building cars for years and still collect them today have hundreds of them .... now working on 1959 impala ..

28. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Attached Files:

29. koolkat

koolkat
    from Merced CA

What a KOOL thread! Thanks!

I started model car building with the wood kits - a block of wood, plans, and a few plastic and metal parts.

30. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

If I want to go back 40-plus years all I have to do is open an old unbuilt kit from my collection and take a whiff. Aurora kits especially since I cut my teeth on their line of WWI planes.