Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remember Your First Model Car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmitchell70, Jan 20, 2011.

1. BaznJosh

BaznJosh

My first was this cool Merc.........
    Second was the classic Cop Out!

Attached Files:

2. Deuces

Deuces

Great stuff here guys!!! Thanks for posting! :)

3. Ricky B

Ricky B

Revell- '57 Nomad......& the Revell Thames Gasser !

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  4. Deuces

Deuces

I love the box art!! :D

5. Found a stack of Auto World decals from the 70's when I used to hold mail-in HO slot car races. :eek: Auto World was the largest supplier of model cars and slotcar stuff located out in Pa. when I was a kid. The owner of the company "Oscar" ran a Can-Am car back then. These are the old water release decals. If you can use one or two for your builds, let me know with a PM or email with your address. First come - served.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  6. matthewsuckerpunch

matthewsuckerpunch
    from Austin TX

i dont remember what the car was exactly, some sports car im sure. i was like 8 years old and didnt know anything about model cars. i opened the box and took all the parts off the frames and totally fucked myself... my brother was into models and completely freaked on me and started yelling. we eventually got the thing put together and i learned my lesson.

7. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I posted these a while back on another thread but here they are again., covered w. dust and looking like little barn-finds.....50 years after I built 'em!

Attached Files:

8. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

BP-Those are so cool, man!
    It's amazing, to me, that you still have them.

9. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

My first was the AMT '66 T Bird convert. Still have it.

10. Deuces

Deuces

Hey John. You might want mail one of those to Round 2 (Look them up) They released a bunch of slot cars and track sets under the Auto world name.. The HO slot car stuff is all over ebay.. Who knows, maybe the guy will start producing those decals again... You could put some up on ebay and make some good money! Those guys on ebay pay crazy cash for what you have.. :)

11. Strange!

1952 I think XK 120 roadster! It was 1955. Uncle Freddie from Brooklyn gave it to me. Never built another Jag model! Went straight to Hot rod Fords! Every AMT kit you could buy! Model As, 32s, 40s, shoe boxes, even Ts!
    That was because, the corner garage, Harvey Thompsons, was where the hot rod teenagers hung out. I couldn't drive, but I knew I wanted a hot rod. 45 years and about 20 real Jags and a pile of other cars later the rod I drive today, got in my garage. I wonder what would have happened if I stayed with hot rods from 55? Strange!

12. For the heck of it I emailed them to see if they were interested in any. Maybe they will trade for a slot car or something. Who knows if they will respond. Sent some to three people from the HAMB already.

13. Deuces

Deuces

I'll send a pm a little later.. maybe I'll get a couple off of ya... If you want, I'll send ya a couple bucks your way....

14. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Attached Files:

15. My 1st model was Lil' Coffin, paid for with money I earned on my newspaper route riding my Stingray Pea Picker. My 4th model was Stone-Woods & Cook which took 2nd place in a contest at Sniders bike shop in Bakersfield.

Those were the days.......

16. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

I probably bought some models with money from my paper route as well,
    rode a big red schwinn with a springer front,,
    memory is kinda faded, but I remember these:
    a SWC Willys, 32 Woody Wagon, 33 Vicky, 57 Chevy Bel Air, 55 Nomad
    and the big Jag by monogram,,

17. Deuces

Deuces

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Bummer. RIP. But what a concept! I built so many of them, I had to seperate the extra parts in designated storage boxes - motors in one, wheeels and tires in another, chassis stuff in another, body parts, decals, etc. I was a "customizing" fool with all those extra parts. At some point, you'd could even plan your new kit purchases based on what you were going to do with them using parts you already had, or you knew you could get in other available kits. Just like the real thing. All those extra 3n1 parts became my scale speed shop / parts store. Gary

19. Deuces

Deuces

Bttt.... ^ Kit bashing RULES! :D

20. My local hobby shop has that model. I was just looking at it there yesterday. Had one of those back in the day.

Attached Files:

21. DooDooHead

DooDooHead
    from Big Sur

Stone Woods & Cook and the first BAD MEDICINE C-Cab....

22. Deuces

Deuces

I was thinking of building a 1/8 scale version of the '25 T coupe to honor the man George Toteff... The kit I'll be using is the 1/8 Lindberg T Coupe kit... I'm just curious as to what motor was used in the 1/25 scale AMT kit??? Anyone know???

23. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

^ I belive it was a lincoln

24. Deuces

Deuces

Thanks Gary!! :) What did it use for induction???

25. 1956Ford

1956Ford

26. Hugh Bond

Hugh Bond

My first model was either a Firebird or a Camaro, both brand-new 1972 MPC annuals. My dad did most of the building as I was about 6 or 7 then. I still have the Camaro though it became a demo derby car in 1979 and I still have some parts from the Firebird floating around in my parts boxes. I also had some 1:32 Lindbergs, AMT's Tournament of Thrills '49 Merc, a Revell VW Beetle, and an MPC annual Dodge Charger (1973?) all around the same time. Hundreds of models later I still build when I get a chance. I did this '56 Chevy a few years ago as a birthday present for my father-in-law who had a real one that he used to drag race at an "outlaw" track in the Baltimore area around 1959-60. It's based on the Revell '56 Del Ray 210 so I had to convert it to a 150.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

deuces,
    not sure what it was. I've never seen one for real, it had four side draft carbs hanging over the front of engine .looked cool ,that was 45+ yrs ago haha

28. Deuces

Deuces

Might have been a Lathem (sp)? charged motor...

29. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

bingo! thats exactly what it was ,that woke me up.

30. Deuces

Deuces

I don't think I got that name right with that style supercharger.. :eek::rolleyes: But I'm sure there's a thread on here about those with losts of pictures... Just need to find it... :eek: