Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Remaking A 100 Year Old Cylinder Head

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dzuari, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

Hi HAMB, real quick, My name's Garen Phillips, I'm a 10 year foundrymen and pattern maker. I do a lot of work making castings for automotive stuff as well as various other industries. I use to post on here about 6 years ago. For those that were around you may have seen my thread called "Making A 671 blower". I had to discontinue making videos due to an overload of work however I'm back at it now.

This will be a build thread of a 100 year old engine I'm helping remake. there's only 7 cars left in the world and each one needs 3 of these cylinder heads. From what I was told most of the engines are destroyed or damaged beyond repair. A total of 21 castings will be made.

Here is a similar process to how these parts will be cast. This is aluminum however.

And somewhat related, this is a 392 Hemi Timing Cover that I am helping create for AlkyDigger. One of my next videos will be over this

Feel free to ask any questions

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  2. 6inarow

6inarow

Cool this will be fun to follow

3. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Not to take away the coolness of the technology, but couldn't that casting just have been welded-up and re-bored to center that hole?

4. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

What planet do you come from? And do you come in peace? Seriously I would love to hang out with you guys for awhile. That stuff is amazing.

ClayMart likes this.
  5. catdad49

catdad49

Ah, I sometimes miss my foundry days! 25 Yrs.+

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I find the OP post interesting as in my previous life I was a toolmaker, now retired life..How ever I can't find it traditional?

7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Very cool, I'm passing the vids onto my son who is a Mechatronics and Robotics engineer who also likes machining and casting as well. His creed is ,"Buy a part, hell no I'll design and make it!".

8. I worked in a pattern shop back in the 70's, but we did everything without computers. This is really cool!

9. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i find this interesting the very old heads he showed in the first video will be interesting to see cast then machined , the hemi front cover should be cool also ,

10. VonWegener

VonWegener

Very nice work Garen. Much appreciated that you share that with us. Now I am interested in creating a part using cad/cam in the computer and then printing out the "wax" part on a 3d printer to use directly in investment casting. Got anything you would recommend to do that?

11. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

Not sure but I believe a lot of the heads are damaged beyond repair. I know they are casting 21 of them for the 7 cars left so I assume a lot of the heads are to far gone.

12. Also, the castings in those days had a lot of impurities, and so welding would be a waste of time.
    We worked on a 1911 Simplex that had an aluminum crankcase that literally crumbled as the engine was being disassembled. Luckily, the shop owner knew where the original pattern was, and a new crankcase was cast out of aluminum alloy :)

kidcampbell71, Wooster and biggeorge like this.
  13. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Yes, I want a light saber ,if it shoots 44 magnum.When ever I see this kind of modeling I think of things like hemi heads for a 350 small block or improved Ardun heads, the I want ,goes on for five more pages

brEad likes this.
  14. cool stuff.....

15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

An almost lost art.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice project, thanks for posting. I know the blocks are rare, what do they fit? Bob

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  17. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Alright, you're back! I really liked the postings you did before. Thanks for coming back & reposting more n new info. You do write well, & make it fairly easy to understand.
    Marcus...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

That's a cylinder casting not a cylinder head. Too bad you don't know anything about motors. Is there anything interesting here? I got bored and quit watching after 2 1/2 minutes, I've seen flashlights before.

tom in nh likes this.
  19. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

Ya it's definitely not like it use to be. My dad and grandfather were traditional mahogany pattern makers though. I think the pieced together patterns are the coolest, I've actually got this 1970 master pattern mounted in my house, the casting was made this year.http://imgur.com/k3SOXok

20. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

You wanting to do it yourself? Have a ever cast before or built a furnace? Ever done CAD design or wanting to pay someone? There's a lot of options for you.

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Lot of options and a big learning curve; if a reasonably young man go for it..Lindsay Publications has a lot of info on all the old ways and probably some newer too, making furnaces, patterns, casting, etc.

22. 19Fordy

19Fordy

A far cry from the sand casting I used to have my students do in high school metal shop.

Truly amazing. Being a foundryman is very hard, back breaking, lung damaging work
    that most folks would never do. I bet there's a high turnover rate.

23. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

80% in the summer, 90% in August.

24. Thank you. Will enjoy following.

25. boring-hop-yard

boring-hop-yard

Very cool, I cant wait for the next installment!

26. Actually, it is a cylinder head with an integrated cylinder. It bolts on to a separate crankcase. If you had actually watched or skipped through enough of the video to see the top side of the part, you would've found that out instead of making an ass of yourself.

27. bolthead

bolthead

28. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Whatever happened to the 6/71 blower cases? As of 2014 the folks on that thread were awaiting your updates. I was also hoping to see the 6/71 end plates that would let you run 8/71 rotors.