Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Relays

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cammer8, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Depends on the switch!

Bones

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

On cars I drive at night, I like to use relays. It makes the headlights brighter. With the headlights on and the engine at a high idle, measure voltage at the alternator or generator. Then measure voltage at the bulbs. I have measured as much a 4.75 volt drop. If you are losing more than 2 volts, you will for sure notice brighter lights with properly wired relays.

3. leon bee

leon bee

What is a relay? Is that them little things make your fuel pump and other shit quit working?

Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. morac41

morac41

Boneyard51 Your right but it's my preference to relay nearly everything..there's a lot more wire involved ..I've been building and using 8-10 relay looms in cars I built for myself and clients for 50 years..relays are very reliable and require little current to activate them

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Boneyard51 and Frankie47 like this.
  5. birdman1

birdman1

Years ago I had a 1974 Audi fox. It had the Bosch electrical system with relays for everything. Was not uncommon for the headlines to go out because of poor relay connections. Had to pull over, wriggle the relay, and go on down the road

Boneyard51 likes this.
  6. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Initially cars were simple, over time complex, backup cameras, sensors, etc.
    Simplicity means less to fail. If a new car quits why even open the hood?
    I prefer simplicity, no fuseable links. A headlight switch will have a built in thermal breaker. I like glass fuses, proper gauge wire.
    I'd be thinking this: it's at night and my car quits. Do I want to walk, leaving it beside the road, or do I want something I can most likely get it going enough to make it home?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I hear you. I’ve used relays a lot also and while I’ve had very little failure with the little Bosh type relays, I’ve encountered failure on other type of heavier duty relays. I still stand behind my advise “ use them when only when necessary “ . For me the less contacts and connections the better.

Bones

morac41 likes this.