Register now to get rid of these ads!

relay location?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by todztoyz, Nov 16, 2013.

1. todztoyz

todztoyz

I have to install two relays in a total re-wire project. '51 chev, V-8, battery in trunk, electric fan and fuel pump, fuse panel on driver side. I'm thinking maybe on pass side under dash to keep engine compartment clean. Correct? Should they be mounted nearer to motor/pump? Thanks for any opinions.

2. hybred355

hybred355
    from Ont. CAN.

On my 51 chev drag car total rewire I put my fuse panel on the trans tunnel ,makes it real handy to get to. Battery in trunk fuel cell in truck ,elect fuel pump. Larry

3. I'd put the fan close to the fan and the fuel pump close to the fuel pump. Keep the power close to where it needs to be. This is my opinion only.

4. I would install the relays as close to point of origin of the power supply as possible. Also make sure they're rated for the load; for motor loads, the relay contacts should be rated for 150% of the motor amps for extended life.

5. todztoyz

todztoyz

Thanks guys. So, fan relay up front with power source being the starter. Fuel relay in back connected to battery.