Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Reimer's 34 Hot Rod Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by snelson57, Mar 17, 2020.

1. snelson57

snelson57

I would have been about 10 Yrs old in 1983, the first time I saw Johnnie Reimers coupe. John was a friend of my dad's and did paint and bodywork on a number of my dad's cars, including a Boss Mustang that I still own today.

As you can imagine, It was about the coolest thing that I have ever seen. A black 5 window on red wheels. Dressed out flathead and a 3 speed on the floor. It defined hot rod to me in my early years and was the car that I just had to have.

Many WI and IL race fans from the 60's and 70's would know John. He successfully campaigned cars on dirt and asphalt at local tracks for decades. I just knew him for that coupe.

I dug this picture out of my dads files dated back in 1983 of the coupe on a trip that we all took to the St Ignace, MI car show that year. The A3 is Johns number that was on all of his race cars. IMG_5952.jpg IMG_6429.JPG

2. snelson57

snelson57

Right about Christmas time 2019, I was buying some flathead parts for another project that I am threatening to build, and I mentioned to my friend that I wanted to find a 34 5 window some day and told him why. I wasn't expecting him to tell me that he knew the car that I was talking about, and that he thought it might be for sale. You see, I knew John had sold that car some 30 yrs prior and I have never seen it since that day. It took a couple of weeks before I found the car probably about 15 minutes from where it was built, 30 yrs and probably 5K miles later.

Attached Files:

3. snelson57

snelson57

I was able to bring the car home and it is currently undergoing some minor maintenance, but realistically it has not changed from the last time I saw the car over 30 yrs ago.

Attached Files:

4. snelson57

snelson57

Late 40's flathead, 3 speed and a Columbia 2-speed rear

Attached Files:

5. ... what are the odds of that happening ... very KQQL! ...

6. Rckt98

Rckt98

Wow. Good for you, well done.

7. 34Larry

34Larry

You have to be liveing right my friend. What a grand and great find and beauty.

8. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That little car is beautiful.

-Abone.

9. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Just a fantastic story. Glad you got the coupe, it is a beauty!

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

It was fantastic to see your post and learn about this rod. A real deal 60s build. Safe to assume you also know that Johnnie passed in January 2020? I'd give my left one to own this car, as I'm sure so would 1000 other short track fans in Wisconsin. I grew up watching him race when I was in high school, Waukegan, IL. I've posted about him and his dirt modifieds here before, as have others who knew him and helped build cars with him. Sad to hear about his death. Are you a member of the VMSC, too? Attend any of the vintage stock car race events up there? PM me if you want to chat more. Gary

https://speedsport.com/stock-cars/other-stock-cars/stock-car-racer-johnnie-reimer-85/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...d-wisconsin-circa-1958.1133052/#post-13452935

11. snelson57

snelson57

Gary - John passed about a week after I bought the car. I was able to attend his wake.
    It was John’ son that put me in contact with the owner that allowed me to take over as the cars caretaker.
    I’m planning an A3 tribute to him on the car.

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Did you get to see him before he passed? I never met him but did wander the pits after some of the Waukegan races to see his car up close. BTW, if you are going to have some of those cool decals / stickers made, put me on the list for a few, please. Gary

13. snelson57

snelson57

I did not see him. I believe that he was in hospice care for some time. I’m not planning any stickers - I’m going to have something hand lettered.

14. snelson57

snelson57

The new fuel tank and lines are in. Radiator has been gone through. Waiting on tune up parts for the Flathead before the front end goes back together.

Attached Files:

David Gersic likes this.
  15. Kinda like hitting the lottery. It's great that when the coupe turned up you were prepared to take over. It rarely happens that way.

16. What a nice story,and good that your the one to keep it going.

17. brady1929

brady1929

Congratulations. Beautiful 34.

18. gary kessler 1932

gary kessler 1932

You are one lucky SOB!!