Register now to get rid of these ads!

Regulator for 12 V Chrysler Generator...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnyhotrod, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Jonnyhotrod

Jonnyhotrod

I spent the weekend rewiring my coupe, as the generator had been motoring and not generating. There were a few things out of sequence which have now been fixed. It doesn't motor anymore, but nor does it generate. It is a 12V generator of unknown year from the junkyard that was completely rebuilt by a very reputable shop and tested. I polarized it. The regulator I was using in a Sorensen VR-68 35-45 Amp unit. I pulled the cover off to make sure my points were adjusted properly and noticed burned paint and arc residue, so I think it's FRIED from being wired incorrectly. My question is, what is a suitable regulator for that generator? Does anyone have a part # for NAPA or any sort of part # that my local dealer may cross reference. I went online and surfed all over various Chrysler websites to no avail. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jonny

2. I'd try calling the shop that rebuilt the generator and asking them. If that doesn't work, find an old dude at NAPA, that always seems to work for me!;) Or, do you have a shop manual for the car you're working on?

Good luck!

Jay

3. Jonnyhotrod

Jonnyhotrod

Right on... I can check and see what they say at the shop. I'm working out of old MoToRs manuals, and there are no part numbers in there that I could see. I remember going through and seeing reference to the 'Generator and Regulator Specifications Table" or whatnot, which they conveniently DON'T reference with a page number and doesn't appear to be anywhere in the book. I'll keep at it. If any MoPar guys are running 12V gennies, Please let me know what you have. Thanks.

Jonny

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Does the generator still have its I.D. tag on it? Once you find out what it's from, you'll know what regulator will work. I know that rebuilders sometimes remove the tag.

5. Jonnyhotrod

Jonnyhotrod

Yeah, the original tag is pretty banged up. I'll see if I can make it out. Thanks.

Jonny

6. Jonnyhotrod

Jonnyhotrod

Upon closer inspection (comfortably resting at home and not exhausted, searching deleriously in the hot sun, baking on the driveway) I found this section in the Motors Manual. There are generator #s, which I can match to mine and corresponding regulator numbers... Now to find one. :) I guess I just had to step back from "balls out for the show next month" deadline mode and settle down a little. Thanks guys.

Jonny