Register now to get rid of these ads!

Registering my F1 with DMV. Not in system?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by derekcj5, Nov 29, 2011.

1. derekcj5

derekcj5

Hey there any advice or instruction on how to go about registering my 51 ford f1 with the California DMV? bought it on a bill of sale no title or anything, curious about how to finally register it. figured some of you guys would know...

2. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

Simple as hell !! Just go to the DMV get a moving permit, take the F1 to the DMV get in line (outside) for a vin verification. Go inside and get in line for registration. Ask for a Statement of facts, fill it out with a declared value of less than $5,000 (I think) Have a weight slip with you, from a certified scale. Hand in the 3 documents = Done, they will hand you plates on the spot and title comes in the mail.

3. afaulk

afaulk

It might be the simplest thing to register it in a non- title state, such as Alabama (where i live) and then take that registration to your DMV. I did that while stationed in CA. No problem. Notice i said "might" !!!!

4. afaulk

afaulk

i'm slow typist LOL. Sounds like Vandy knows the drill.

5. mattcrp1

mattcrp1

Get your bill of sale, vehicle verification, statement of facts and since it is a truck you might need a weight certificate. Should be good to go. Its actually easier with a bill of sale than the original title.

6. If you know the weight or have a good guess, you can pay the fees based on that guess, and they will give you a permit to drive the truck to a scale and have it weighed. You may end up owing more money, but you'll be legal if you get pulled over on the way to the scale.

I did this recently with my f100 (although I did have the old title). It hadn't been registered in about 15 years, fees were around $130. The experience was a lot less painless than I thought it would be.

7. Do not go to dmv snd rich "i part out chevys" asap on the hamb

8. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I found that by making an appointment with your local Calif DMV office, you go thru much faster,....i was in, thru, and out in less than an hour, registration and tags in hand. You can go online, and do the forms yourself, if you know which ones you need.

4TTRUK

9. Easy Breezy, just like Vandy said. Did the same thing without even a bill of sale. Claimed that it was abandoned on property that I bought. Statement of facts.

10. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Derek...just as Vandy says but with one proviso...the DMV office closest to me makes up shit as they go along (like most government offices) and has declined to do vin verifications on a few cars I have trailered there on my way home from having bought them. First off was a '61 Olds 88 bubbletop with the bumpers removed...can you believe that they said they couldnt do a vin verification because it wasnt a "complete car"? Other was a car that didnt have the engine..same story..they said they couldnt do a vin verification because it didnt have an engine. In both cases I asked them to show me their book that shows it has to be complete, I also pointed out that they dont verify anything on the engine anyway...they said they would check on it...the verifier went back into the building and NEVER came back out. I have yet to go back to the DMV for a vin verification...there are private vin verifiers that will come to you...that is the way to go. Just like using the AAA or a registration service to avoid the DMV on doing paperwork....

11. spayne105

spayne105
    from Chico CA

I bought a 53 Chev recently with no title and a bill of sale. I pulled it into DMV on a trailer the same day. It was missing the hood, front & back glass and they were not going to inspect the vin because they said it was not a complete car. I told her it is complete, I have the hood & glass at home.

Like Black Panther said, they went inside to see what the "rules" are. I waited and waited as I watched the lady talk and giggle on the phone for about 30-40 minutes. She came out and said that she could not find any info about what a complete car was, so she could inpect it. I was so thankful and wiped the sweat off my brow, not wanting to go through this again with these people.

Long story short, this car was not in the system either and they went through with it. I just got my title in the mail today. Good feelin to get it clear!!

12. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

How much does this usually cost?
    Is it registered as the YOM?
    Do they use the original VIN?
    Trying to figure out which way to do this myself.

Thanks!

TP

13. coop ED

coop ED

Zibo let me know man! I will come by your shop and do a vin verify for you. Grab the form and i will sign it off for you. Then just take to DMV and register car. I do it all the time for guys around Dago. Huggy