Register now to get rid of these ads!

Registering California Black Plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RustyRedRam, Jan 25, 2005.

1. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

I've got a set of black plates that I'm trying to register to one of my cars and have run into the speed bump known as the DMV. I've tried registering a set of personalized plates with what my black plates read with no luck. I know the plates are cleared. Is there another way to register the plates to a car that anyone knows about?

2. Muttley

Muttley

As far as I know you can only use those if the car has used them since it was first registered in Cal.

3. Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace

This is what the Vehicle Code says.

"5004.1. (a) An owner of any vehicle that is a 1962 or older model year vehicle may, after the requirements for the registration of the vehicle have been complied with and with the approval of the department, utilize license plates of this state with the date of year corresponding to the model year date when the vehicle was manufactured, if the model year date license plate is legible and serviceable, as determined by the department, in lieu of the license
    plates otherwise required by this code. The department may consult with an organization of old car hobbyists in determining whether the date of year of the license plate to be used corresponds to the model year date when the vehicle was manufactured.
    (b) A fee of thirty-five dollars ($35) shall be charged for the application for use of the special plates.
    (c) In addition to the regular renewal fee for the vehicle for which the plates are authorized, the applicant for a renewal of the plates shall be charged an additional fee of ten dollars ($10). When payment of a regular vehicle renewal fee is not required by this code, the holder of any license plates with a date corresponding to
    the model year may retain the plates upon payment of an annual fee of twenty dollars ($20), which shall be due at the expiration of the registration year of the vehicle to which the plate was last assigned under this section.
    (d) Whenever any person who has been authorized to utilize the special license plates applies to the department for transfer of the plates to another vehicle, a transfer fee of twelve dollars ($12) shall be charged in addition to all other appropriate fees."

Dennis [​IMG]

4. [ QUOTE ]
    As far as I know you can only use those if the car has used them since it was first registered in Cal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Muttley is right, you can not use black plates unless you can prove that those plates were registered on that specific car at some time. You need some old DMV reg paperwork or other documents to show that.

If you just picked up a nice clean pair of plates with the thought of using them on your car, you can't. You can hang them on your wall for decoration.

5. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Can't be done. They know all the tricks.

6. DK23

DK23

The code listed on the earlier post says nothing about plates being the original plates from that car, only that they have to be the original year as the car. That is how it is in Texas, no problem as long as the old plates are dated the same year as the car was manufatured.

7. Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace

The 1956 Ca. plates on the wife's 56 chevy were purchased at the Pomona Swap Meet then taken to the DMV and regestered for the vehicle. We had to take a copy of the vehicle code with us to show the clerk the law, but after she saw the right code section, we had no problem.
    Dennis

8. Dennis

What you posted doesn't apply to black plates but to '62 and earlier plates. '62 was the last year for black on yellow plates and those can be used on appropriate year cars if the plates are clean with the DMV - you must have the correct year sticker too (ie:'57 - '62)

Black plates have to be the plates issued to that vehicle originally.

9. Mike

Mike

[ QUOTE ]
    The code listed on the earlier post says nothing about plates being the original plates from that car, only that they have to be the original year as the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

The black California plates were issued from 1963 to about 1968 or 1969. Since they are not tied to a specific year, they are not usable as "year of manufacture" plates.

10. daign

daign
    from socal

If you can do a bit of research into the cars history and find pictures or documentation of the car with a set of black plates. You could see if the plate numbers/letters are currently clear with the DMV and get a "replica" set of plates made. Thats about your only option.

I forgot, I bought my 56 plates from JimA [​IMG] welcome back!

11. Timely thread.....

My '63 Valiant wagon has black plates, but has been off the road since 1988...I have DMV registration slips dating back to 1970 when the last owner bought the car, would that be 'appropriate' paperwork for when I re-register the car I wonder? [​IMG]

I believe it was non-op'ed for several years after it was parked as well.

Dave

12. Muttley

Muttley

They might hassle you about that also. [​IMG]

13. Dave...

Take all those papers with you showing the black plates that are on your car was registered to your car etc... and the registration papers will prove it. You should be able to keep your black plates. If they hassle you about it, do NOT let them take your black plates or paperwork until you have resolved the matter. Talk to a supervisor or call the main DMV office etc. I know there is a specific office within DMV that handles these old plates. If you hand them over, they're gone.

Until then, I am saving all my black plates and using them for wall ornaments until they revise the law to allow the re-assignment of these CA black plates...

Speaking of which... they ran from 1963-1969 for cars, and up to 1971 for trucks.

Travis

14. A32Flathead, never ever tell DMV that the car has been on any streets or road, running or not since the last time it was registered. Tell them it's been in storage, and only moved on a trailer. If you tell them otherwise, they will get you for back fees. See trailors have ther purpose. [​IMG] Dean

15. Thanks guys...yes, of course it was trailered....all of the 3 blocks from under the tree, to the place she now resides [​IMG]

Dave

16. flatshoebox

flatshoebox

what year car and what year plate are you working on?

17. '63 Plymouth Valiant V200 Wagon. Registered in '63 with current black plates :D

Valiant Page.....

Dave

18. volken65

volken65

Alot has to do with who is on the counter...

I once bought a 64 Chev, I had paper work from the last owner dated 76. with the original plates. I took it all to DMV and the dumbass told me it had incorrect plates because they were stamped 63... I told him all black/yellow plates from that era had 63 stamped on them. He didn't believe me. I couldn't believe no one there knew that. He gave me forms to send to sacramento with all original paperwork. Nine months later I recive a letter from DMV stating my original paperwork was lost and to send another bill of sales signed by original owner (who was dead by now). I called the number on that letter and told them the last owner died, they told me to get a statment of facts signed by a family member stating he died and he sold me the car... WTH... I didn't know them that well. I ended up selling the car with no paper work. :-(

All this time I was not able to drive it legally because i had no plates. DMV said i could NOT use the og's until sac gave the ok and they couldn't issue new plates till all was resolved.

So what ever you do if they say no @ the counter go to another DMV or just get a pair of new style plate. And try again later.

19. A Boner

A Boner

How about signing up for some regular personalized plates, and use the same letters and numbers that are on your BLACK plate, for the personalized plate. When you get your new personalized plates, put them in your trunk and install the BLACK plates on your car! If they run the plate, at least the #'s will jive.
    Set some extra money aside to pay for the ticket.... if the fuzz notice.

20. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

I've tried that and have had no luck.

21. A Boner

A Boner

In Wisconsin, the state publishes a book with all the personalized lic. plate combinations that are being used. It's probably on a state gov. web site in Calif. too. Just have a friendly law officer look up the letters and #'s used on your black plate, and if it's not being used, why wouldn't Calif. issue it to you, as a personalized plate? It's hard to believe, but maybe your combo is being used already!

22. you can NEVER (california has no plans to reuse black plates) run them again. the ONLY way is if your vehicle has them registered to it now (either old or current), if you had black plates, now have white but still have the black and want to put them back on...................nope, no deal, not gonna happen. 1956 YELLOW and black plates with a 1962 sticker is the newest plates you can re-use. then you need to get the year of plates to match your vehicle (hence the "year of make" term or "yom"), i belive somewhere in the 40's they went to metal tabs (and stickers) for different years, before that each year had its own plate.

http://www.calpl8s.com/

also i've heard they are re-using the plate numbers on new plates, so if you have old plates register em NOW, pay for the 1st year and then non op em so you can keep the #'s. if you wait there is NO guaranty that the plate will still be clean even if you have both plates.

23. Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl

My wifes 68 mustang coupe has black plates but we purchased the vehicle that way and don't know the history. Ed ke6bnl

24. Darkharts

Darkharts
    from Corona

I have asked a local cop friend about doing something like that, he says that at least with there system if they run the plates it does not mention what issue they should be. Basically if the numbers right then you should be good, but theres always that one that may catch the wrong type of year on the car that may make an issue, but not sure they would have a code to ticket you for it. Was thinking of doing the personalized trick with some repops in the old colors and said it would most likely never get noticed for the most part unless the plates were really bad quality.

danny