Register now to get rid of these ads!

registering antique vehicle in nc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zoomo, Feb 18, 2019.

  1. zoomo
    Joined: Feb 18, 2019
    Posts: 13


    hey guys! so this is my first post of course. I have just purchased a 1953 chevy panel truck from a friend of mine in texas. Super happy to finally get something old again...its been a while.

    anyway, point of this post is figuring out how the heck i go about registering this thing. Ive been searching and reading all day today, and found things about bonded titles, antique tags from out of state...etc, im just still missing a lot of information i was hoping yall could clear up for me.

    So the truck does have a good title, that is signed , from oklahoma...but not notarized...according to kannapolis dmv that is a problem.

    Also the truck doesnt have an engine or transmission..everything i see on this sort of thing speaks of them matching the engine and vehicle vin...

    So im wondering what are my best steps to take in starting to get this thing legal in my name?
    Thanks in advance for your help everyone! i hope to be hanging out here a lot more often :)
  2. Check with either your State DMV or State Police. they are the only ones that can realistically legitimately answer this question.
    LOU WELLS, egads and 5window like this.
  3. 26hotrod
    Joined: Nov 28, 2009
    Posts: 959

    from landis n c

    I live in Landis and had the same problem as you except my title was notorized. If you have a bank you do business with they probably have a notary there. Go talk to them and they can probably help you with that problem. Salisbury DMV helped me with everything else. John Fink aka 26 hotrod...……….
  4. Is the notary OK law ,or NC law?You state may not need it.Your DMV will know.

  5. 5window
    Joined: Jan 29, 2005
    Posts: 8,237


    Well, course, everything is different form state to state, but you may find it is your Texas friend who has to get the title notarized and signed over to you IN TEXAS. But, basically, you need to talk, in person, to the DMV people in your location and do what the tell you to do.If the truck has a VIN, the engine gone may not be an issue compared to just a frame #.
    egads likes this.
  6. Dick Stevens
    Joined: Aug 7, 2012
    Posts: 3,156

    Dick Stevens

    The seller's signature is what needs to be notarized to provide proof that it is legally yours and yes the friend from Texas is the one who needs to get a title in his name so he can transfer ownership to you! Trying to skip that step is a stumbling block for you!
  7. TA DAD
    Joined: Mar 2, 2014
    Posts: 430

    TA DAD
    from NC

  8. zoomo
    Joined: Feb 18, 2019
    Posts: 13


    Thanks for all the replies guys :)

    I have contacted the dmv twice but only over phone. They were the ones who told me that indeed it would be the sellers signatore that needed to be notarized, so in oklahoma. They said that it's because Oklahoma is "notary required state"
    I also tried speaking with my insurance company but they said that they had no clue how to help.

    I agree with the part about having it passed over in texas to skip the hassle but I figured with the fees it would probably cost as much as having this done by a title agency :(

    Also the part about having to have it inspected by a dmv official either way does make sense. I will read that and see if I can make heads or tails of it. But that's also where I start to get worried about the engine because most of that stuff speaks of matching the Vin number on the body to the engine.
    On that same subject, should I just be waiting until I get an engine in this even worry about getting it registered ? I mean, I want to get the registration done and out of the way so it's off my shoulders, but I don't want to run into other issues layer when I do get it running.

    Thanks again for all your replies guys, it's been a big help! Much more than the dmv has been so far lol
  9. thomas.parker197
    Joined: Dec 29, 2017
    Posts: 52


    If the original title was issued in Tx in 53, the vin number on the title is likely to be a an engine number. If that is the case, and the engine is gone, there may be no way to match the title to the vehicle.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
  10. ffr1222k
    Joined: Nov 5, 2009
    Posts: 1,175


    I too am in NC. Before you spend any money on the vehicle you need to get something in place that will work for your title. A bonded title may be your best option. Regardless how you chose to proceed get the title issue resolved before you spend any time or money on the truck. This is from someone in NC that learned the hard way. Because my title was in the name of a deceased person (even though I had a copy of the executor of the estates legal paper work and the VA title) I could not do a bonded title. I had to find the executor and get her to go to the courthouse in Richmond and get an original of the document appointing her executor. I got lucky and found her on Linked N and Facebook ten years after she sold the car.

    A bonded title is not that expensive. You will probably have to take the vehicle to DMV for them to verify it or schedule an appointment for them to come see it. I had them come to my house to see mine.
  11. Dick Stevens
    Joined: Aug 7, 2012
    Posts: 3,156

    Dick Stevens

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.