Register now to get rid of these ads!

Registering a parts car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskool55, Feb 7, 2006.

1. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

i bought a parts car from cars4causes friday and i was told that i had 5 days to register it. i bought it with the intention of stripping what i needed and either scraping the rest or hitting up the local muffler shops to see if they wanted to buy it for a demo derby car. it hasnt been registered since 97 (tags say 95) and i dont really want to pay for the registration since i only paid 200 for the car to begin with.

so do i really need to register it?
    what happens after the 5 days?

2. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

In California, the only time they'll punish you for not registering something quick enough after you buy it is if you eventually go and try to register it. If you are just going to junk it, I wouldnt worry about it. However, if you have any possibility of eventully needing to register, i'd take care of it right away.

Right now I have a car in storage that I bought over 5 years ago and never registered. The DMV hasnt fined me... they don't even know about it. When I go to register it someday though, i'll have to think of a crafty strategy to avoid their punishment.

by the way, i'm just a californian that hasn't played by dmv rules... i'm not an expert on the subject, so dont cry if you listen to me and they somehow catch you (so, maybe dont even listen to me..)

-scott noteboom

3. purple

purple

Once I bought a wrecked scooter for the engine, I just went to the DMV and said I bought it the day before and was just gonna junk it. Brought in the plate and bill of sale. I didn't even have to pay a cent., But that was around '95.

4. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

so im better off just having it transfered and telling them its junk?

5. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

6. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

i called dmv and in order to get a junk slip i have to pay all the back registration.... fuck

7. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

dude that's crazy. Do you plan to ever register it? If not then just scrap it, I don't see why they'd care. They can't possibly expect the last sucker to buy it to be on the hook for all back registration?

I guess they want their sales tax is that the reasoning?

If so, man, I feel for you Kaliforeigners, ouch. I've bought and sold numerous vehicles without ever registering them. Hell, I've even waited months to get the titles in my name (and consequently pay sales tax) with no fines. I've had them tell me that if I just planned to sell it that I didn't even need the title in my name, just use a bill of sale. And I thought NVDMV was bad......

8. If your just going to demo derby it, just keep the title that was signed over to you and maybe a bill of sale (undated) with you. I don't know debry rules. Maybe you need to show proof of ownership? Also keep note in Ca is you tow a vehicle on any of its wheels on the street the car should have registration. If your trailering it then you should be ok. If it's been past X amount of years then you should be able to register without back fees.

9. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

10. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

The law says in Calie, that if your gonna dismantel a vehicle ya half ta
    notify DMV in 30? days. If ya don't they can fine ya, but probably won't.

If you're thinkin of ever gettin tags for this thing in Calie pony up! I bought
    a '61 Plymouth Fury, with bad tags......cost me four years in back fees,
    didn't shit right for a month.

Swankey Devils C.C.

11. abonecoupe31

abonecoupe31
    from Michigan

Glad I live in cold, Snowy, Michigan...here you get a car, take off what you don't want, and tow it out to the curb--the city has it hauled off and it get's crushed....

My ex wouldn't give me the title to my sister's car...(shitty divorce)--the building inspector told me to do just that..I got a letter a few weeks later that they had my car and if I wanted it I could get it back by paying the storage fees...

It got crushed....

California must suck....with laws like that..

mark aka Abonecoupe31

12. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

This is what the page i posted above says:

———BUYER BEWARE!———
    If you purchase a vehicle, you will be responsible for past due fees and penalties when you transfer the title into your name, unless:
    • Registration is current.
    • A non-operational status is on file with the DMV. Fees must be paid before operation to avoid penalties.
    • The vehicle was otherwise exempt from these reporting requirements.

13. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Can't you guys in Califonia just flush the car thru someone outa state, so it comes in as an import? On paper of course.
    Ed

14. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

so if im gonna have pay the 11 years in back registration to scrape it legit i might as well get it running and drive it. theres no way in hell im paying more to register it than i paid for it... im just gonna strip it and donate it back:D

15. Cruiser

Cruiser

Oldkool55,
    If your not going put the car back on the road. Part out the car for the parts you want, then cut up whats left and take it to a metal scraper. This way there is no need for a pink slip (ownership papers) If its whole they'll want papers. This is how it works in California. Forget about the DMV the less said the better.

Cruiser 49

16. go to dmv .. tell them you want a junk reciept for the car .. take the plates and whatever paper work you have ,, this way .. when yur done raping her for the good parts .. take it to ecology and scrap it ..

17. Mr. Creosote

Mr. Creosote

A few years ago I junked a car with no reg or vin#. Being in the bay area I called around to different junkyards. No one would take it. I eventually called a junkyard, I'm not sure how to put this in a PC kind of way, in East Palo Alto that was run by this old black guy and his son. And, no, it was not Sanford and son...... He sent the kid out with the flat bed. I remember asking if I could keep the wheels. He said sure so I got them off. He just drug this thing up onto the flatbed. A asked him what he was gona do with it and how he was gona get it off the bed. He said he was going streight to the crusher with it. So call around. Find an independent junkyard that can take it as "scrap metal". I never heard from the DMV about it. The normal disclamers apply here.......... ;)

18. Rem

Rem

So what sort of fees do you have to pay in Cal? Over here it's about £130 to £180 ($230 - $320) a year depending on engine size, unless the car was first registered before 1973, in which case it's free (good for our type of cars, obviously).

How are yours worked out?