Register now to get rid of these ads!

Registered my A- NO PAPERWORK!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Sep 12, 2004.

1. What's all this deal about old titles? I did it 14 years ago with my '32 Cabriolet and I just did it again with my '29 Sedan. Printed out an application for a title and a serial number verification sheet to be filled out by a qualified peace officer and with those two brand new pieces of paper I walked in and registered my Model A. No bill of sale, no title- no old paperwork to speak of and left with plates, title and tags in less than 20 minutes after slapping down 50 bucks! Felt like I just shoplifted or something! That's EXACTLY the same amount I sent a in check for the insurance the same day. 50 bucks, not for a month, full coverage for 6 MONTHS! I don't know why I put it off so long, I thought it was going to be A LOT more difficult.

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

Get Out !
    Is that a California thing only ?

3. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Dude thats awesome!! I've always been leary of buying old tin with no paperwork but that just sounds too easy! [​IMG]
    Right on JimA!!

4. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

BTW, where did you go for the printouts?

5. Second hot tip for Californians- LISTEN UP! If you have owned the car for 90 DAYS or longer you DO NOT have to pay sales tax. No more fudging that paperwork- just sit on it for 90 days and keep your 8.5 percent!

6. Jim, enlighten me on how the serial number/peace officer bit works. A. where do you obtain a serial number? is it stamped on the frame somewheres?
    b. if not, do you just make up your own or what, and then the copper chopper comes out and you give him some crispy kremes and he signs you off?
    I am wondering about all of this as I will have to do this at some point in time. thanks

7. My Vicky's firewall was so hacked up I went ahead and fabricated a custom smooth one. Needless to say, there wasn't a serial # on it. I wonder how that's going to go over with a "qualified peace officer".

8. [ QUOTE ]
    BTW, where did you go for the printouts?

[/ QUOTE ]

www.dmv.ca.gov

9. Broman

Broman
    from The Island

Yea, I agree.

I did this with a trailer once. A guy I worked with had been storing his trailer in his mother-in-law's barn. She moved so he lost his storage. He tried selling the trailer, but he was on a limited time frame. One day he came into work and asked me if I wanted a trailer - I said I couldn't afford it. He said he'd sell it to me for what I had in my pockets. $30 dollars later I had a new trailer.

I asked him if he had any paperwork for it and he said - "Yea, I do but if you use my info you'll be charged taxes and everyhting else and end up paying more for that shit than you did for the trailer." Instead I was advised to just go in and tell them that I had built a trailer. Worked like a charm. I just had to make up some kind of I.D./serial number and I was off. I got insurance and plates in the same day - all for under $50 bucks.

10. [ QUOTE ]
    do you just make up your own or what, and then the copper chopper comes out and you give him some crispy kremes and he signs you off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Numbers are stamped on the frame- or as the rules state can be riveted on a tag to the FRAME. If you have a friend that's a peace officer you are 90% there.

11. where on the frame I wonder....

12. [ QUOTE ]
    My Vicky's firewall was so hacked up I went ahead and fabricated a custom smooth one.

[/ QUOTE ]

For Fords '48 and older the numbers are on the frame. There wasn't a vin# on the Firewall of Model A's or 32's.

13. That's the way it's always been... I registered the Roach Rod as a 1923 Ford that way...and my dad registered his '31 Model A Town sedan that way 25 years ago... you just have to have frame numbers... Hmmmmmmm...
    Sam.
    p.s. California isn't "The Hot Rod State" for nuthin'... we don't have anual inspections, smog checks or registration hassles on our old cars... add to that we get to cruise our roadsters year around and it makes this state a great place to live!

14. I see said the blind man........I have a friend who has a law enforcement friend.....hmmmmmm. Now, all I need to know is this.....Can any combo of numbers be made up or can someone give me an example of what series of numbers and letters together would be on a 28/29 Model A? I imagine there was some sort of number letter combo that it has to be
    on the serial numbers. sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure this all out.
    thanks

15. SHUT-UP! Man, we gotta jump through hoops, cross ourselves and recide 48 hail Mary's and 346 Our Father's to even get in the front door of the Nebraska DMV. That sounds optimal, Jim.

16. well, there has to be some payoff since we have to live with all these damned liberal limp wristed hippie berkeley-
    ites out here in California.

17. DrJ

DrJ

Do they have the VIN verification form on line now?
    If so where?
    I haven't been able to come up with that one.

18. no, it's true. Jim aint telling fibs. I screwed, yes, screwed a vin tag that the local trophy store made me on the door jamb of my last car and drove to the dmv with a montana title and was out of there in 30 minutes. 75 bucks including fees to transfer title to California in my name. After that I went and got a taco.

Hottods are way too easy to register here in California. You think it's gonna be a nightmare but it's not at all.

why do I live in California?
    1) I surf twice a week
    2) It's 75 on Christmas morning
    3) 50 bucks registers an otherwise illeagal car
    4) cops let you get away with murder if you have a hotrod.
    5) In-n-Out

If you belong to the tripple A it's even easier. You dont even need to show up! simply mail it in. This car is already registered using the 1932 title and California plates from the car Smokey and Killer went for a "spin" in. It doesnt even roll yet!

Attached Files:

19. It's on there- I think it was form 393? But that's where I got last week.

20. No Gooch, you went to too much trouble! You didn't need the Montana title at all- hope you didn't pay for it because I didn't even have that much.

21. redoxide

redoxide
    from Scotland

Farmer If you have a 28/29 model A the date it was actualy made is stamped on the cowl/gas tank drivers side at the join between the gas tank and lower cowl.and it will be stamped upside down.. Honest its there if its a stock firewall/cowl/

If you have a staock A chassis 28 through 31 the frame number is stamped on the drivers side top chassis rail UNDERNEATH the front A panels.

Model As were numbered consecutivley.. The number on the frame is actually the engine number of the motor that was fitted.. the engine number was stamped into the frame ..

1st modelA left line on October 1927 and 138 cars were completed Numbered 1 to 137 November was 138 to 971
    etc ..
    January 1928 was 5276 to17251

December 1928 was 697830 to 810122

January 1929 was 810123 to 983136

December 1929 was 2678141 to 2742695

work out the maths for yorself on the numbers of cars built per month, see if you can find the date on the body i mentioned and work it out from there ,,, If you find the date the body was assembled ( stamped on cowl) gimme a shout and i will tell you what the frame numbers were for that period.. good luck..

22. 47lincsled

47lincsled

in arizona I found th eeasiest way was to get a bonded title,you send registered letter to someone you know dosen't exist asking them for the title, it comes back "undeliverable" you go to your insurance dealer buy bond ?50,then take all the paper work to your friendly dmv office and you walk out with a title,after 90 days if no one disputes your title it bcomes a clear title,I've used this sevral times and have no problems.

23. NO SHIT? What kinda taco was it? And surfin on Christmas? oughta be a law.
    We usta have it easy but some company that shall remain nameless [sold Mustang parts and cars] came in here from outa state and started a title-washing side business. When they were busted, the state made it really hard to get a title for your old car... Thanks a lot, Autocrafters! Oops!
    The company [who shall remain nameless] was asked to leave our fair state and went to Florida to set up shop...good riddance!

24. Rocky: carnitas, always carnitas or el pastor tacos.

[ QUOTE ]
    No Gooch, you went to too much trouble! You didn't need the Montana title at all- hope you didn't pay for it because I didn't even have that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, I know. the lady didnt even look at it. she asked me what color I was gonna paint it. It was the first car I didnt just name-transfer, I thought I needed full documentation.

Nope. You dont need shit in california.

25. Bugman

Bugman

Rocky got me thinking. Could you build a car out of state, have one of your CA friends title it in there name then "sell" it to you and you just transfer the title into your name in your state?

-Jeff

26. yes.... I mean I think. through AAA I dont see why it wouldnt work.

ummmm,... I'm sure I dont know what you mean though. [​IMG]

27. Heh Heh...Jeff is having a little "spell" and isn't responsible for anything he just typed here folks. Poor skinny fucker hasn't eaten in 3 years and he's halucinating again...heh heh..
    [Jeff! Ixna on the itle-ta, dumbass!]
    Yeah, he'll be ok after he has a little bite to eat and he didn't mean nothin regarding , uhhhh titles and shit...
    [Jeff! Use the pm feature of the board!]
    Heh heh.....later...

28. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

....best to keep some stuff underground bonding titles and payin tax on value of a hotrod that you already paid for tax on parts is no fun...

29. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

When I titled the '36 I didn't even go to DMV. It was such a pleasant experience I wished I had another car to title. Wayno

30. [ QUOTE ]
    you shouldnt be posting this..... you are using a loop hole that is technically illeagle...

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely NOTHING was illegal in what happened. I had no paperwork- filled out the necessary forms and paid the fee. End of story.