Register now to get rid of these ads!

Regg Schlemmer/Neil Davis 27 Track-Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kilroy, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

I was thumbing through "The Birth of Hot Rodding" last night and was struck by the beauty of the Neil Davis track roadster... (the pictures are better in the book)

It might be the best looking 26-27 T roadster and maybe even the best looking track roadster ever...

Anybody have any other pictures?

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  2. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Regg Schlemmer (sp?) built and owned the car
    it was on the first cover of hot rod magazine in January 1948
    it also raced as a track roadster with a 32 grill
    he later switched to a smaller 23-25T for the circle track's

i was kinda looking at that one when i built this miniature thing
    except i added more bodylines that he shaved off
    [​IMG]

3. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Ahhh!!! That's why the damned thing looked familiar! I don't know why I didn't snap to the Reg Schlemmer(I'm no help on the spelling) connection!

I guess that's why nothing turned up in search....

Still, It always surprised how different things pop out at me as I continually flip through all the old hot rod photos I have... Always something new.

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

OK,.. not trying to hijack this thread, BUT, do you have any more pictures of that miniature 27 track roadster?, what scale is it ?,what are you going to make out of it ? thanks for any info. :)

Oh yeah , and I am really partial to the Frank Mack Roadster,.. for many reasons.

5. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

sent you a pm with more pics....dont wana hijack

6. Rd2Indy

Rd2Indy
    from OC

Here is a fine copy of the famous roadster
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Actually Reggie Schlemmer campaigned two cars at the same time: One was this car (which ran on the round tracks with the track style nose until it crashed-the replacement was really a DeSoto shell.) and the '23 style bodied car with an equally attractive front end. Interestingly, he brought both cars East in '48 to run the Hurricane circuit plus Mutual in Indiana. His drivers were Red Amick and Roy Prosser. While in Indiana, the '27 bodied car was sold to a local named Coy Duncan. It got butchered to conform to the Mutual "style" (cut down body sides, converted to center steer) who ran it with a variety of drivers and little or no success, It was resold into oblivion by about 1950-rumored to have ended up in Bellefontaine, OH). The '23 bodied car returned to Cal but made a couple repeat trips back to Indiana.