Register now to get rid of these ads!

Refresh my memerory convert from 6 v + ground to 12 v - ground

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50dodge4x4, Sep 3, 2012.

1. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

So my son bought this 54 Chrysler. It had a 6 volt positive ground electrical system. We are going to convert it over to a 12 volt negative ground electrical system.
    I know we have to change all the light bulbs. I also know the starter, generator and electric fans will run on 12 volts for a while, as long as they are not allowed to over heat. What else do we need to change/do for this thing to function. Its been so long since I've done this, I'm not sure I remember anymore. Gene

2. The 6V starter will be ok, but I don't think the 6V genny will work unless it's converted to 12V or replaced with a 12V unit.....also the obvious...a 12V battery.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Get a 12V generator and a matching VR. It does not necessarily need to be Chrysler but the VR and wiring must match the donor car for the generator.

4. fiddychevy

fiddychevy
    from pa

You will also need 12v coil & condenser. your points will be fine. when I did my chevy, the headlights blew immediately, but the smaller bulbs worked for some time. Good luck

5. Reverse your amp meter.

6. fabain

fabain
    from new jersey

you will a res. for the coil
    12volts threw the coil will burn the points also reverse the wires on the fuel gauge.put in alt one wire very easy.starter will work

7. Your gages, if electric like fuel, will need a voltage drop on the power. Search on here for the LM7806 voltage reducer. It is an integrated circuit type and works good for gages. Not for heater fans or wiper motors. Mech gages work for either. Ammeter does not use voltage, it senses current flow.

You need a 12 volt generator and voltage regulator. Or put an alternator. Swap your ignition wiring so the neg ground is the switched side of the coil. Put a resistor to drop the coil voltage, the orig coil can be used. You want 6 volts at the coil.

8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

WHAT AMMETER, has no ammeter on a 54 Chrysler! Idiot lights for amps, oil.

Sure would like to know why you are changing over to 12v. I have a 54 with Hemi and it cranks over just fine with 6V.

9. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

As you stated, you can use the original generator, just change the VR. The generator will deliver 12V without problems, BUT it'll need more revs before it starts to charge

10. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

The car belongs to my son. At some point in its life it will likely have some kick butt stereo with amps and all that stuff. I needs to be a 12 volt system.

So we have concluded I need to get a 12 volt regulator, replace the bulbs, and add a resister before the coil and a resistor before the gauges. Did I miss anything?

When we get this thing running and stopping, it will probably get a complete rewire job, this old cotton covered wire sucks. When it gets wired, it will also get an alternator. We will also have to figure out what to do with the power steering, currently the power steering pump is attached to the back of the generator. Gene

11. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

You can use the internal parts of the 6 volt generator, the armature will work, but you need to change the fields or the whole case with fields from a 12 volt generator.

12. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

13. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

If this is a 54 with a 331 V8, it will have 4 belts. It would be fairly easy to borrow one of the generator or idler/water pump belts to drive an alternator. Simple brackets would probably work for mounting. Leave the generator to drive the power steering pump.

Another simple scenario would be to mount a 12V battree in the trunk, simply for the boom box stereo, etc. Then have the alternator only charge that battree. Leave the 6V battree and electrical alone, no changes there.

14. crzymoe

crzymoe
    from TN

^^ genius!