Register now to get rid of these ads!

Refinish oil bath style air filter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dangulo, Apr 8, 2012.

1. dangulo

dangulo

Hey everyone,

I wanted to re-finish my oil bath style air filter on my 1952 Cadillac 62 series. The current finish has seen better days. Fortunately for me, the unit is pretty straight and looks like all it would need new paint/

Wanted to get tips from you guy or gals on best methods for stripping and painting the oil bath air unit.

How would you approach the stripping and painting?

Thank you help in advance

2. I did one many years ago.....the paint was very thin and sanded off easily with 220 paper. Used lacquer primer over zinc chromate primer, after first cleaning the oil bath with lacquer thinner, then used the correct lacquer finish color, the decals over the paint.......lasted as long as I had the car....... Maybe others have better methods......

3. dangulo

dangulo

Thanks for the tip, gives me a better idea of what I need to do to getting look right.

4. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Sanding is the best, albeit the most time consuming due to the edges, seams, and curves you are likely to encounter on an air cleaner.

I used a chemical paint stripper on my 55 Lincoln air cleaner, inside and out, scuffed, and painted gold with activated car paint.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. 63 Avanti 3137

63 Avanti 3137

6. dangulo

dangulo

Thanks guys! I wasn't sure if it would be okay to use sand paper but seems that is okay to go that route.

63 Avanti 3137 - looks killer! What paint and color did you end up with?

7. 63 Avanti 3137

63 Avanti 3137

They're still sitting on the bed of the truck which is my staging/ spray area waiting for the first coat of epoxy primer (SPI). I just went and peeked to be sure I'm not talking out my a$$ and I can safely say they look the same right now as the day I shot the photos. No sign of any rust at all and I'm 2 miles from the ocean. But I do keep the garage closed and their covered with plastic while they wait. The oil filter will be black as I went with Halloween colors for the engine. I'll probably be spraying in the next week when I find my round toit...