Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Reds headers quality?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nevrDUN51', Mar 25, 2016.

1. nevrDUN51'

nevrDUN51'
    from Nashua, NH

Also, ironically when I ordered these pipes, the guy told me that he was having difficulty finding someone to make the downpipes and tailpipes. It really sounds like this guy just gives everyone the same excuse when they find low quality and that isn't cool. I mean seriously, how can you have trouble with your welders and fab guys for over 10 years?? Maybe the problem isn't the fab guys at all??

2. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have always felt that header tubes that are not welded around the outside of the flange/tube joint look unfinished and less professional. I do tig weld the tube to the flange on the inside, but also have then tig welded the outside with silicon-bronze rod. This not only provides a finished look, but also adds additional support to what can frequently be a potentially weak spot(s) in the interior weld, especially after port matching. The lower temp of the silicon-bronze flows out to a wider bead than a conventional steel tig bead, and looks quite similar to a gas welded bead. Win/Win I have no comment on the Red's headers.

vic

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After reading a bunch of threads about this over the past year or so, I have to admit this thought has crossed my mind as well.

4. A "good sign" of a successful business are the employees of the business.
    If the employees are content and therefore have longevity with the company, the quality of work produced from that company will be good, as well.

FlatJan likes this.
  5. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

This is very odd for Red's hedders. I have heard good reports about their products

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Didn't the ownership of Red's Headers change a few years ago?

7. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

They don't look like the quality that I would want to put out. The crush on the one leg is just pathetic , IMHO . A shame.

5window likes this.
  8. bchctybob

bchctybob

Red's is a good old company that seems to have served the old Ford community well for years. I've seen lots of Red's headers on cars at shows and they looked just fine, not sure why yours look so different. It may well be that a small specialty company like Red's can't afford to pay what it takes to keep a talented weldor on staff.
    Like Hot Rod Don, I worked in the header industry for many years and we had fixtures to make that ugly "0 radius" bend when absolutely necessary. While I was there they were engineered out of the assemblies to eliminate a "hand made" step and reduce costs (I really just thought they were ugly and unnecessary but you have to justify a redesign of a successful product in a way that the bean counters understand)
    Applying a bead around the outside with silicon bronze rod became very popular and I agree that it makes the header look more finished, especially if they are to be coated. I'm not sure that it really adds much to the strength of the assembly but in my own shop I did it to a lot of my customers headers as an extra cost option.

9. I believe that to be True!

10. Pete

Pete

Where are these pics you promised?

11. Pete

Pete

12. Same with me. I tried to buy some and nothing, so I inquired and was given the same reply. I bump him every couple months to see if he's going to offer the Mopar flat six headers soon, but he's having a heck of a time finding qualified fabricators. I'm keeping at it though, I really want s set of Reds Headers. Hope the bugs gets worked out

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a set of Red's for my 8BA, they showed up quickly and look and fit great. Yes they are only welded on the inside but I can remedy that easily if I so chose. I needed a new front tube and header flange for the left header to clear my steering box after a modification I completed, I called and they sent it out asap for very little money. I changed the pipe and proudly welded their trademark tag back on the headers (and coincidentally over the top of my weld). Nice people, nice service and a nice product from where I sit.

14. Pete

Pete

I dunno... But I'm still waiting for the redesign pics.

15. manyolcars

manyolcars

make'em yourself and use stainless. I did for my Model A su carbs.jpg

13 likes this.
  16. Tedders

Tedders

I'm running the dual reds headers

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463361029.432434.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463361080.332309.jpg

Scott Mannion likes this.
  17. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

Tedders likes this.
  18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really like the tail pipe treatment. What did you do to the ends Tedders?

Tedders likes this.
  19. Well I am certainly no header expert but I have been around some headers in my time and there are a couple of things that come to mind.

One is that rumpled pipe would cause me a certain amount of consternation. The other is the tack welds on the p outside of the flange, I have certainly tacked some in my time, but it is not normal for pro made headers. The tube should pass through the flange and be welded around the mating surface of the flange at least any quality set of off the rack headers you buy are done that way. No weld on the outside at all.

20. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

You think you've got problems!;)
    13240666_1171774732842243_1403803745422099310_n.jpg

21. Now that's a bunch of snakes. :D

22. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

They are probably put on the fixture to hold everything in alignment and tack welded on the outside then removed from fixture and finish welded on the inside..Hard to just weld on inside if you use a flathead block for the fixture...o_O

23. Probably so but not very professional is it.

These days I try to use square port flanges or oval port flanges when I can, if I am using a head or block for a fixture I fit my tubes then remove the flange from the head or block and weld it up from the other side. If I were going to tack the outside and sell it I would do one of two things. I would either finish the weld it I would grind the tack out. That obviously could change if it were my car I don't have to put a decent looking product out on my own car.

All that said I have heard good comments on reds headers before, those may have just been Monday headers.

24. Tedders

Tedders

Thank you appreciate it

25. Tedders

Tedders

Just expanded the ends

26. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

problim i had w/reds headers was when you look in the header w/flash lite the hole in the main tube was only about a 1/2 inch in diameyrt, i had to take a stick welder and turn it up real hi and reach in there and burn out the hole

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Please explain, Boo.

28. nevrDUN51'

nevrDUN51'
    from Nashua, NH

So, I spoke to the guy who owns Red's now, and like many other companies, he bought it lock stock and barrel. He didn't design anything. He just farms out the fab work to whatever shops he can find. I was able to head up and stretch the middle pinched pipe to a more acceptable opening, BUT, I'll say this.

REDS DOWNPIPES DONT FIT. I tried absolutely everything and they either hit clutch and brake linkage, the floor, or some combination of both. Also, the downpipes are bent to run both sides UNDER the crossmember. This means significantly decreased ground clearance, which sucks on lowered cars. I am going to bring my car to an exhaust shop and have new 2" (not 1 3/4 stretched to 2" at the joints) downpipes and tailpipes made. I'm just happy the crap downpipes that I only used to break in the motor only cost $50, otherwise I'd be returning them.

29. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

Mike, i have had 2 sets of reds over the years, the last set i have on the car i'm finishing now came from speedway, they fit great. BUT like the other 2 sets, these are blond type center dump, where the 2 outside runners come into the center tube they only torched a hole about 1/2'' diameter into center tube. i took my stick welder w/new long rod, turned the power way up and reached in and burned the opening larger with the rod. be carful or you will blow a hole in the pipes.

30. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

If you spend more than a couple hours modifying those headers, they probably not worth the time and money. Just chop those up and make new ones

Sent from my SCH-I415 using H.A.M.B. mobile app