Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rednek Headers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R Frederick, Feb 14, 2011.

1. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

When life hand you more time than money, sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands. I found a set of headers at a local swap meet, and found another set in the local classifieds. I cut them up pretty good to get the bends I needed to make a set of fenderwell headers. They're a little funky where I had to go into the cut up collectors.
    I have a total of $50 in these, and figured I'm better off right now this way, than spending $300 or more for a nice set. that money can go toward something else like tires. Once I get the car done, I'll probably spring for a kit at that time. Besides, this is probably how some guys may have done it back in the day anyway - right?:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

3. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

looks like a gasser header to me!

4. That's what we did on the Raven's AD truck. He needed something and had an old set of headers laying around so we took some bends from an old set that I cut up and his.

I like yours the way they are but like the Raven you shouldn't probably take my advice. I used to live in a neighborhood and I'm likely to rig something if you catch my drift.

Oh there is a sweet trick to the collectors. Next time I cut some heeaders up I'll send you some pics. If you cut correctly at the collector you can use it just like a new one.

You done good.

5. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

That was my problem, I had to cut the collectors where the pipes were far enough apart to be able to weld back around the pipes. So, it got a little weird looking in that area.:eek:

6. came out pretty good! I have built a few sets this way and they worked out just fine.

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

We're hot rodders and do what we have to do.:) Looks like they will do the job even if you never build a "better" set.

Frank

8. They look fine to me. I'll see if I can snag an old header or collector and show you how for the next time.

You better watch out or everyone will be calling you a hoodlum. ;)

9. Looks good to me and they fit which is the important part.

10. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

That would be one of the nicer things I've been called.:)
    I can still go and cut the collector off just below the weld, it's not too late.

Darn, i think I might do that.

11. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

Where I'm from...that set of headers would get you a job - haha. I am a redneck and would be stoked to have a set of headers looking that good.

12. pitman

pitman

I'm guessing that was what Beaner was referring to. They turned out fine, either way.

13. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Nice job...I like it when you can make someting work for you like that.

14. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Good job, I think you are doing the right thing, and as stated above they fit your project and you can say " I made those " when people ask about them.

Jon

15. LDGn63

LDGn63

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

They look great! I think you have the trick figured out, but make each tube individually, cut the collector off below the weld, weld a diamond shaped filler piece between the tubes on the ends, then weld the collectors on. I don't know though... I think I would call them done right now though!

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm in that group that will build it every time, even if buying it is only a few dollars more, just to see if I can! Wish I'd have seen this post before I bought my fenderwells, as I'd have tried it too!
    They look great to me!

18. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I was just thinking something. With your brains and my good looks, I might have a decent looking car someday.;)

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I can dig it..
    and if down the road you decide to have a "Looker" set made..you already have the mock up for you or someone to refine.

20. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto
    from Joliet, IL

You can use the money you saved to get em coated, wrap em, hell shoot some BBQ grill paint on em. I bet you'll keep a lotta people guessing on what brand they are if you don't say!

21. Mark T

Mark T

Are you a Plumber?

Just kidden, they look just fine.

I did a set just like that in a Ford Ranger with a big block 460.

22. spikeshotrods

spikeshotrods

I had to make mine, nobody makes them for a Olds in a Chevy. I used Bassett over transom boat headers and a set of lakes style roadster headers, one of these days I'll try to pretty them up some but they'll do for now.

Attached Files:

23. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Porknbeaner got me thinking yesterday, so I stopped by the muffler shop for some straight pipe last night. I cut the collectors off when I got home, they came right off nicely. They look a lot nicer with straight pipes going into the collectors now.:D
    Thanks for jostling my brain into thinking right Porknbeaner! I don't care what everyone say's about you, I think you're a swell guy.:eek:

24. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

American Ingenuity at it's best! unless you are drag racing for money or a world record who gives a rats ass they will work and look great!

25. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Those look really nice, I love the way they swoop.

26. captmullette

captmullette

looks like a custom built set of headers to me,i'd be proud of those and would not replace them.....

27. Pics?

28. Racrdad

Racrdad

Looks to me like it was $50 well spent. Those aint nothing to be ashamed of. I like em, you built em, they are unique, they look good. I would run em!

29. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I didn't take any last night, I barely got it tacked together before dinner and Pickers on TV.:D

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The look one hell of a lot better than most of the home effort headers you see on here or anywhere else on the net. And they look just like a set of fenderwell headers should.