Register now to get rid of these ads!

red ram hemi freeze plugs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rare32, Jul 28, 2010.

1. rare32

rare32

hi all, I have a dodge hemi 270 and I have just started it for the first time in 2 years.
    while it all seems good it has developed a water leak(and pretty bad too) behind the bell housing.
    Does it have a freeze/welch/core plug back there?
    I know its not from the manifold or the rear plates on the heads as I can see those.

any help would be great

2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

No conventional freeze plugs anyway ....................

Attached Files:

3. krooser

krooser

Yep it has freeze plugs...they are available from Dorman. While they don't look the same as most automotive plugs you see today lots of industrial and farm applications use the same 'disc' type of plug.

Most good engine shops should have them in stock... mine does.

4. krooser

krooser

Yep it has freeze plugs...they are available from Dorman. While they don't look the same as most automotive plugs you see today lots of industrial and farm applications use the same 'disc' type of plug.

Most good engine shops should have them in stock... mine does.

5. George

George

As the photo shows, there's a couple screw in types that are typicly stuck solid.

6. rare32

rare32

many thanks, obviously one of mine isnt stuck or its corroded out as I have a tap back there.
    I am hoping to pull the box back 4" but not completely out of the car to fix this, saves disconnecting speedo sender etc.

7. 73RR

73RR

Trust me on this...if one of the screw in plugs has developed a leak you will be far ahead by pulling the engine so you can get to it. The plugs may be screwed in but I do not believe they were not intended to be removed.
    We have had occasional need to remove one/all and on the bench it takes a long time.

8. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

any one ever had one of these motors with a piece of the boss/or ledge that the plugs sits against in the hole broken out ??? and if so how did you fix it /??

i was told to have them all machined out to accept a more modern LA motor style of lug,,,,

i have had a special plug made that will screw in using a T BAR with a face out on the block area and a gasket,,but have not tried it yet,,

any ideas would be helpful,,,,thanks in advance