Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Recurving Chevy Distributor for flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metaldave, Feb 2, 2015.

1. metaldave

metaldave
    from michigan

I modified a chevy points distributor to fit in my late flathead. I am supposed to change the advance curve. I have a friend that has a distributor machine but he has no weights or springs for a chevy. I see some kits on line that have weights and springs but no indication of what they are for. Any advice from you all? Thanks in advance. Dave Miller

2. Limit advance to 25 degrees total,all in by 2,000-2,500 rpm.

3. the springs and flyweights control when the advance begins and how fast it comes in.. What you should look for is limiting how much advance you allow in the advance mechanism (fly weights.) They can be modified to limit the advance. Around 14 or 15 degrees total advance with the flyweights. set the initial timing at the crank at 5 or 6 deg. The total should end up somewhere around 20 deg total.. it should be all in by 1500 to 1800 rpm. You should be able to get a spring kit from ether Speedway, Jegs, or Summit. you can add or subtract weight from the flyweights to tweak the springs to work. Your distributer guy should know all these tricks. or you could just send it to Bubba's ignition hear on the hamb for a professional setup. Good luck with which ever way you go.. if its done right you will love that Chevy dizzy setup. you will get other advice on timing setups i'm sure. However I have that setup in my 8RT bone stock flathead. It starts very well hot or cold and has great drivability. I get 20 + mpg on the highway in my f1 pick-up with a t5 tranny and 392 gears

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015