Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recreating the jesse lopez coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. jivin jer

jivin jer

Thanks for the comments guys. Way back when I started Jr's build I came face to face with what "tyrants" clones can be. The more detailed and accurate they are, the more "attitude" they end up with. This is hard enough to do without having to put up with a fractured ego from a hunk of metal, and fabric.

So I need to swap out with Jr's coupe, the space it occupies on the lift with Jesse's clone. The answer from Jr's coupe? "Naw, I like the view from up here." It usually takes a bit of persuasion to get the gas from the tank up to the carbs after it's sat for a while. After a while of cranking and priming the carbs I realize that I have a problem with no gas at the carbs, no matter what I do.

I work my way back to the fuel pump which does work, because "we", son Dan and I have removed it and it pumps gas. So I'm at the line from the pump to the gas tank which is new.

So stay tuned, the "perils of Pauline" continues, with pics.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  2. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, all the lines are clear, which leads me to think that what I need is a USA made replacement pump. I have a regulator near the carbs thats set at 2.5 psi, which is what's recommended for this application. So, does anybody have a good recommendation as to where I would find a made in USA inline pump for this application?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  3. jivin jer

jivin jer

I've worked my way back to the gas tank, I can't get any gas to come out of it no matter what I do. This tank is a Bob Drake product and is about nine years old. I'm going to try to call them and see what they have to say.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  4. banditomerc

banditomerc

Looks great Jerry,what's also great is having a son that has your back!...priceless

Sent from my SM-T560NU using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  5. jivin jer

jivin jer

With the exit tube removed from the tank, I have the threaded hole just looking at me. I take my blow tip and blow into that hole and "walah", I have gas and lots of it. I drain all the gas out of that tank, about 10 gallons. I could just put it back together and start the car, but I'm asking for trouble if I don't drop this empty tank and try to flush out whatever was clogging that outlet.

Attached Files:

6. jivin jer

jivin jer

I hope it's not the seal for the gas gauge.

AChopped1950ford and loudbang like this.
  7. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

yep, dirty fuel tanks are such a pain! What a pair of cool cars!

loudbang likes this.
  8. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, thats the purpose of buying a "new" one. I wouldn't think it would go dirty, just sitting there. I need to go look this am inside the rinsed tank, the pick up tube extends to the middle of the tank. I thought I saw what looked like tape of some kind rapped around the length of that tube. It also looked like it was unraveling at the end, that could be the source of the obstruction.

9. jivin jer

jivin jer

The "unraveling" turned out to be a distorted tab on the pick up tub that connected it to the floor of the tank. In trying to force gas out of the tank by blowing air into it I turned a rectangular shaped tank into more of a bulbous one. So it's time to get a new tank and make a fresh start.

One of the things that's always bugged me right from the start waaay back then, was not being able to know how much, or how little gas I had in that tank. I can't remember now what I did, but I thought that I got it to where it was registering a 1/4 tank at the gauge. You buy a "new" repo tank with a "new" sender you got it, right?

Wrong! I can't think I have a 1/4 tank of gas, if it fills up two 5 gallon gas cans, now can I? I've spent hours on line looking at forums about vintage Ford gas tank sender/gauge issue's, including Ford Barn, and I've come to the conclusion that unless I can find an original sender thats in good shape, and works, I'm Sol.

I might as well just put every thing back together with the new tank, and keep enough gas in it to be able to tell by "knocking" on the bottom of the tank. What a helluva place to be in, but I didn't see anyone that had a better idea.

Attached Files:

509garyd, drdave and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Man, I get aggravated all the time about my gas gauges not reading accurately. And like you, new tanks, new senders, rebuilt and "modernized" gauges, still no luck.

loudbang likes this.
  11. jivin jer

jivin jer

I’m getting ready to install the new, Tanks inc. tank. I’m modifying it to accept a Bob Drake fuel sender, the one out of the old tank. I did notice that this sender doesn’t operate freely, it’s like it’s in a bind. You can hear and feel the tightness as you make it swing through its top (full), and bottom (empty) function. I took a screw driver and pried the mechanism open, just a bit. It now actually will fall through it’s normal range as I manipulate it , this might be what was keeping it from functioning, we’ll see.

Attached Files:

12. jivin jer

jivin jer

When I did Juniors car I was in my late sixties, now i'm in my late seventies, there's a difference.
    When I have help it goes pretty good, otherwise I'm subjected to my need to go inside and "take a break". Nevertheless we "press on". I purchased a Tanks inc sending unit and i'm glad I did, as you can see here, it's a pretty substantial piece, compared to the old Bob Drake unit. I hope this gives me a reliable fuel gauge reading.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    509garyd, BrerHair, drdave and 2 others like this.
  13. jivin jer

jivin jer

Just a little clarification regarding that last post. Where ten years ago it was easy being out in the shop for hours, now I have to "will" myself to continue what I went out there for. It's doable, it's that will part that's tricky, my body thinks it has earned the right to be comfortable, and for every thing to be "easy". I don't know where it got that idea.
    While i'm waiting for a little help getting that fuel tube connected to the tank, i'm polishing up the chrome before the "hot soapy" bath.

Attached Files:

14. jivin jer

jivin jer

Ok, after being in aftermarket fuel pump hell, apparently I was also in brittle fuel line hell as well. How can ten year old fuel line break with just a little manipulation? I had some at the tank, fuel pump, and up to the carbs from the stock fuel line.
    However, the car is off the lift under its own power, and went around the neighborhood. This revealed a need for new spark plugs and some 160 degree thermostats. Now a final clean up and on to the original task, which if you have forgotten, is Jesse’s recreation. . It did get a very important item dealt with, the front and back glass installation. This is a big boost at this time in the process.

I do think it's time to bring the Junior conway thread back and put it's own items in it that separate it from Jesse's.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  15. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I now buy low pressure fuel injection hose. Should be marked "SAE J 30 R9". It costs more, but holds up to the chemicals in the modern gas.

Russ

16. jivin jer

jivin jer

Thank you very much for this info. Russ. With both cars using this defective fuel line, this will be an opportunity to upgrade them both.

17. jivin jer

jivin jer

HEY! I got a little help today and this is the result. I got this lift in response to my lower body letting me know that if I didn't, there were going to be consequences. This was about seven years ago. It has been a terrific tool to position the work so as to be the most comfortable and easiest on the old bod.
    Know we'll see how far I can get before wednesday, the 9th of next month. That' IMG_0600 (1).JPG s when I go in for my first new knee.

18. Progress looks great, I like it. Good luck with your surgery sir.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  19. jivin jer

jivin jer

I snuck out between the turkey and pumpkin pie and got this far.
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING. IMG_0601.JPG

20. nice work Jer keep the updates coming.. wish I had room for a lift in my garage..

21. jivin jer

jivin jer

22. redzula

redzula

Just an incredible recreation. Spent the last couple days going through the entire thread. After seeing your manic obsession with accuracy I believe that I need to do the same with the junior thread now too. Seeing you cut up the front end to move the grill 2 inches I was in shock. But it was absolutely the right move. The comparison photos are spot on now.

Stunning work Jer

We just moved to Ft Worth (on the Keller border) in early October from Iowa. was deep into the show when I realized you were just a town it 2 over. I'd love to be able to check out the cars sometime. Even willing to lend some elbow grease if needed.

Last thing. Does that church car show happen every year? Or was that a one time thing?

-Adam

Sent from my rotary phone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  23. jivin jer

jivin jer

Thanks for the kind words Adam, I'm pming you.

chryslerfan55, redzula and loudbang like this.
  24. john W.

john W.

Love that green color!
    Sombreros for sure.

loudbang likes this.
  25. jivin jer

jivin jer

Looking at the grille from inside the fender there is a problem that needs to be dealt with. I’m calling this an apron extension. A work in progress. IMG_0610 (1).JPG IMG_0608.JPG IMG_0612.JPG

26. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, I was forced to install an update on my computer. I hate these things. I wanted to show the lower scoop that was fairly common on these cars from this period, my computer ate it. So, here it is installed from the bottom, and from the front.

Attached Files:

27. jivin jer

jivin jer

With all this inspection stuff I discovered that the lf tire has a bruise in the white wall. The lr tire is the best candidate for a swap. I can lift up the left side of the car with the jack that came with this lift.

It took me two hours to undo the rear leaf spring, and both shocks on that side to get the rear axle to come down enough to remove the tire/wheel. This is just one example of why these highly modified customs completely lost favor when the late 50’s space ships came out. Nobody wanted to ride around in these “chopped up junkers” when you could lower a 59’ Impala and have the girls whistling at you for a change. The Hirohata Merc was bought off the back row of an L.A. used car lot for $500.00, and sat in Jim Mc Cleans garage for thirty years.

The temps were low enough that I didn’t want to use outside water. I lugged that wheel/tire into the bath room and washed/scrubbed it in the tub. Grandma doesn’t even bat an eye anymore. I could see the question forming in her mind as I went past, and she just shrugged and went back to her sewing. She’s a good girl.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  28. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

At 78 I also have to will myself to go to the shop. When Clint Eastwood was asked how he kept going by Toby Kieth, Clint said “Don’t Let the old man in” Toby wrote a song about it. Here is my first car that I thru my paper route in. 26 T coupe. The tub I found on my paper route for $10.00. The coupe cost me $15.00 i have been a gear head all my life and I ended up here A765D4FC-3D7F-4F8A-A0CF-5E25E2585F16.png 27CB488B-621D-4961-8399-64D98B514BAD.png FCCE1454-46CF-47D9-9AB0-FA2B8A13830D.jpeg 07629AC5-340F-4193-A1F4-2CB23006CEBF.jpeg FDD6DB18-D466-44D6-8A8B-3AA767FBF4DA.jpeg

29. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well 1 shot, you're a couple of months older than I am so that makes you "the "old man" in this conversation. Thanks for sharing that Clint Eastwood quote, there might be something there that we can use, we need all the help that we can get.

By the time Uncle Sam came calling I had two kids and he wasn't interested, so I never got to experience a "cold or hot" LZ. Thanks for your service, and I'm sure part of your reward is being able "ride herd" on this bunch. It could be so much worse.

I'm impressed with your experiences in our "hobby", you started alot earlier than I did. Thanks for checkin in.

30. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

37A51E6E-4950-439E-8B26-2C6458DC692C.jpeg 7DF187CB-4F6A-48FC-889A-0728BA936DB7.jpeg Pic. Of our bird taken by Joe Galloway and the bumper sticker on my truck