Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recreating the jesse lopez coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Looking good Jer.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. jivin jer

jivin jer

Here we are checking the profile to see what it looks like. I did have a template shot in the shop that I accidently deleted. I have one for later outside. Making sure (once again) that everything is even side to side.

If I remember correctly the original feature on Duane Stecks driveway build (Moonglow) showed that the top was cut only at the front and rear pillars. There weren't any bizarre trips out into the sheetmetal part of the top.

It's the same thing here. No cutting the top in 1/2"s or 1/4"s. None of that stuff. We'll leave that to superman.

Attached Files:

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

The 4 door roof? I used a chunk of it for my chop, the rest is gonna fill the roof hole on my someday 36 project...always recycle lol!

4. Torchie

Torchie

Great philosophy Jer. It is exactly the way I approach the custom that I am building.
    It ain't rocket science so don't over think it.
    Keep up the great work as I and many will be using this a primer for chopping the 41-48 Fords.
    Torchie

5. greybeard360

greybeard360

Seeing the wrap on the rear springs reminds me of the 40 Chevy I did for a customer. The rear springs were wrapped in tin. We removed the tin to find one of the main leaves was broken. I took them to Ft Worth Champion spring and they made a new leaf and rebushed them... looked like new then !

I am anxious to see this one when done... glad you are in the neighborhood !!!

6. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, I was here before you, via email. Jesse has said that the cuts didn't go above the b/glass opening. Here we are very carefully trying to see how this will work. It won't work. There's too much resistance against this "slice" too let it conform to where we need it to go.

We also see the hole that Jesse tried to bridge with the chicken wire.

Attached Files:

7. jivin jer

jivin jer

Here's a better look at the top in the correct position. The rear corners are tacked so they don't move. Another look at that space that Jesse was trying to bridge with chicken wire.

This is probably close to the "sonofabitch" place he was at. Not quite to the "it will tell you what it wants" place.

We are trying to get there. We know what we can't do with Jesse's info (about the slice's) at this place and time.

Attached Files:

• 061.jpg
      061.jpg
      File size:
      211.6 KB
      Views:
  8. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

this is one of the hardest chops I have ever done,( 19) at this point what I see is cut it above the drip rail and take the corner out, leave the back window opening intact, and let it hinge, get the backglass where you want it and then go back to the corners after you get one thing where you want it. you might have to cut the roof and add a piece all the way across above backglass to make roof longer. and then you can cut up the corners and add filler metal on side between driprail and quarter glass. and I'm sure you know, but the backglass is double curved and tempered so you cant cut it. you will be doing a plexiglass or have timo build you one which runs about 10 grand for a windshield. no sure on back glass.. I have really enjoyed your build, can't wait to see it done.

9. jivin jer

jivin jer

Remember, this is 1948-9, not 2013.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  10. mikes51

mikes51

30 years ago I could have bought a running 50 merc for 3K and it even came with an extra roof! I goofed and didn't buy it. But what it reminds me of is in the old days, extra roofs were plentiful and they must have used them often to eliminate that bump in the back.

11. jivin jer

jivin jer

I sent this to Jesse so that he could see what was going on.

Attached Files:

12. Karl stark

Karl stark

What was his response?

13. jivin jer

jivin jer

Jesse is a low tech guy. No cell or email.

14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haha! Love it. Gonna take a boatload of chicken wire!

15. jivin jer

jivin jer

Snail mail is Very frustrating at times like this. I think I'm at the place where this top IS telling me what it wants. I'm tempted to go ahead and do the obvious while I'm waiting for Jesse.

16. My parents are the same way, well almost. Have a cell for emergency
    only. They won't use it. Lap top PC, but not used except for solitaire at
    times. Just needs to grin and bear it. Keep the updates coming
    Jer!

17. OLLIN

OLLIN

Do you mean cut the rear window out, and the sides and then make sail panels? kind of like like how finkd did it?

18. jivin jer

jivin jer

That's definitely NOT the vibes I'm pickin' up.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  19. Cla99ude

Cla99ude
    from usa

It will be (like Junior’s) a fun ride for everyone as well as a tribute to Jesse’s early years and those around him and that era.[​IMG]

20. jivin jer

jivin jer

I couldn't wait for Jesse to get what I had sent him so I could talk to him about it. I realized that I've already talked this thing to death. So I went ahead and slowly crept my way upward with that slice at the b/glass opening until I found the sweet spot. When I did, all of a sudden, everything made sense.

Sooooooo, here we are at that sweet spot where the top says that's it, that's what I want. It's just above the resistance line and, below the crown of the top. When you find that spot everything starts to work.

Here's Jesse's slices and what Gene Winfield calls Dick Deans ribbons (see post #686). I don't know if Sam Barris had a name for it.

Attached Files:

• 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      220.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  21. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Anxiously waiting, looking great

23. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)That's the thing we been looking for. Very cool ...:cool::D

24. jivin jer

jivin jer

The angelic chorus has completed its program and, it was very impressive.

Now that all the racket has stopped I can get going on the rest of this top. I've made a tool to help with any contour issues I might have.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  25. jivin jer

jivin jer

We have started the fab work.

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      226 KB
      Views:
  26. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I don't see any chicken wire?

27. No chickens on this build for sure.

28. Looking great Jer as I knew it would! Do you suppose Jesse meant not above the "rear" window (as in 1/4)? Just sayin' that would fit with what you've done..

-Dave

29. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, the actual "hands on" effort is showing that he could have meant that, for sure.