Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recreating the jesse lopez coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. jivin jer

jivin jer

OK guy's, Grandma has had a cruise planned for month's and there's no way I can get out of it. After recent events in the news we can go a little more prepared than usual.

I'll be back on the 13th and then we go after this guy.

Attached Files:

2. Karl stark

Karl stark

3. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

i
    I Jack was in watched a movie [​IMG][​IMG] He was the bad guy. His son was also in the movie,

4. Michelley

Michelley

Giddyup, Big Boy!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  5. Karl stark

Karl stark

Ok it's the 13th. Hope your not stranded on some cruise ship pooping into a plastic bag and loosing weight cause there's no food on board. If that's not the case you really should be working and posting. Just saying.

6. jivin jer

jivin jer

Hey! It IS the 13th isn't it? I just got in, must pull myself together and get on with this. I will do some ketch up (I mean catch up, too much of a focus on food) posting tommorrow.

7. Welcome home Jer, didn't have any luck in Portland...

8. jivin jer

jivin jer

I do appreciate the effort Rob.

9. jivin jer

jivin jer

OK, since this is a one man operation I have to make up for the lack of manpower. I've used the winch out of the trailer. With some creative positioning of tow straps it can be done. Actually fairly easy.

Attached Files:

10. Karl stark

Karl stark

It's amazing what you can do alone when you have to.

11. jivin jer

jivin jer

If you look closely you'll see the inside all braced up. There better be a good reason for this cause it sure makes it hell to get in and out of.

12. Karl stark

Karl stark

I hope that bracing is for keeping the body rigid while you chop the top, not a roll cage cause you decided to turn the car into a jalopy racer. Actually a frame up build of a jalopy might be an interesting thread. Maybe next time?

13. There's a few of us fairly close that can lend a hand if you need.
    Especially Wed about lunch time.
    Thats better than reading a oops thread. :eek:

14. jivin jer

jivin jer

Thanks for the offer Stevan, I'll keep it in mind.

15. jivin jer

jivin jer

I've been doing some thinking about this issue of distorted photo's and I think it's worth revisiting for a moment. The pics on post #495 show the image being pulled horizontally and compressed vertically. This is exactly what I was encountering on Jr's build (posts #162,176). In Jr's case I was really handicapped because I didn't have a consistant (known) object to work with. Jr's grille was handmade and, I wasn't seeing a consistant look at that grille with all the pics that exist out there. I finally realized "this has got to be it". I was using the gaps at the opening's and the relationship of the bars and the front bumper bullets. The reply regarding this was very helpful.

With Jesse's car I am working with the same hood, fender's, grille, gravel deflector etc.. Much easier. After a while you realize that these old pic's are great for inspiration but, almost useless for technical instruction.

Builder's beware.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  16. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

^I ran into that same situation when I copied Chuck DeWitt's tail lights. I tried to make scale measurements off of every picture I could find of his Ford, but in reality they looked funny on the car. I ended up pulling them in over a 1/2" more than where the pictures suggested they should have been...

(Hope you don't mind me posting these...not trying to hijack your thread)

Attached Files:

17. jivin jer

jivin jer

See, I told ya'.

18. jivin jer

jivin jer

Let's get this thing painted on the underside.

Attached Files:

19. jivin jer

jivin jer

Early post today because of heavy work load (on car).

Attached Files:

20. jivin jer

jivin jer

This is Norm my friend in the neighborhood. He came down and pulled the the eng/trans. He saved my life on Jr's car.

Attached Files:

21. jivin jer

jivin jer

I've never seen this much crud build up before.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  22. daddio211

daddio211

A lot less than my '50 Shoebox had with 56,000 original miles!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

23. jivin jer

jivin jer

Now that we have the body/chassis separated the dialogue regarding the run up to the chop should probably start. With the chop being the one big definitive part of this build it's only fitting that it has become a full blown saga, with all the twists and turns, frustrations, head scratching and Oh shit, moments, as well as the discoveries and triumphs.

I was fascinated and enthralled doing Jr's car. Here I am at this place in my life being energized (bludgeoned really) by all this history that reflects a place and a time in American automotive history (that captured me) that will never happen again. It's influence on the world is partly evidenced by you and me (the HAMB) as well as a huge part of American car culture in the many form's that it takes. Men and cars, what a powerful combination. Just look at what happened to the youth of SoCal, say for instance, one Jesse Lopez.

So to say that my intent is to capture what that was all about (as much as I can) is a major understatement. I have become driven to be as authentic as I can so as to make a historical document out of this work. Just like Jr's car. History is a word that is a fascinating trap for me, full of energy and wonder. This way we can see, feel, hear and smell what it might have been like In those thrilling days of yesteryear.

I don't want to try and scrape this stuff off. I've found and old fashioned steam cleaner guy in town. I'm going to take the chassis and drop it off. You get help where you can. Actually Grandma is a big help in many ways. Without her this stuff wouldnt happen.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      501.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  24. Karl stark

Karl stark

Hey Jer, I really agree with and admire your "mission statement". Things should really start getting even more interesting real soon now. Keep up the good work.

25. Ditto !

26. jivin jer

jivin jer

Here we are at the steam cleaner. Grandma could'nt come so, we have a differant driver.

Attached Files:

27. jivin jer

jivin jer

Jesse knew he wanted an 8" windshield and a chop that had the shape of the Carson tops that he was seeing in the nieghborhood. He had helped his H.S. buddy Richard Carter find his '41 Ford convertible that ended up being chopped at Barris with a Carson top. After brainstorming the issue of what car did he want to buy he settled on a '41 Ford club coupe. He knew that it was the club coupe that would give him that shape after taking scissors to a picture of one and moving those shapes around to see what would work.

He really wanted a '40 Merc coupe like his ( Bell H. S.) buddies Johnny Zaro and Al Andril had. Both cars were done at Barris Kustom. He also knew that that would make three bitchin Mercs. One too many.

photo's Rik Hoving, Barris Kustom techniques

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  28. I guess back then there was such a thing as too many bitchin' '40 Merc coupes. Wow. I love the history lessons that come with your builds, Jer.

29. Torchie

Torchie

Great thread. Your dedication to accuracy is wonderfull as too many builders of so-called clones never go the extra mile needed. As the former owner of a "survivor" name shop custom car I know the feeling that you are working towards. Looking forward to the chop portion of the program!

30. me too ! can't wait for the haircut to come !:D