Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recreating the jesse lopez coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. jivin jer

jivin jer

I can't post picture's.

2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These computers are great . . . when they work. :(

3. jivin jer

jivin jer

Testing,testing. Iv'e got some talent that's come home for Christmas. Maybe this thing is fixed.

Attached Files:

4. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Looks like you are having some Christmas fun!!

5. oh what fun it is to cut a bumperguard for Christmas..(lol) Skirts are nice , love this thread.. I really want to follow this job ! Merry Christmas Jer !!!! all the best !

6. 51wagon

51wagon
    from northwoods

I have a set of fiberglass skirts on my coupe. At that price, I will be replacing them with steel. Thanks for the info!

Keep up the good work.

7. jivin jer

jivin jer

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE, all the good stuff to you and yours.

Attached Files:

Atwater Mike likes this.
  8. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey jer, did anyone tell ya those holiday serving trays could be pressed into service as fender skirts? All the hep cats were doni' it in the 50's:D

Enjoy the holiday:D

9. jfrolka

jfrolka

Did you make your tai lights or buy them? I am looking for a pair for my 48

Merry Christmas!

10. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Wow! 51wagon, that looks very nice!

11. Trukcrazy

Trukcrazy

Make, am I late to the party. Got sidetracked for a while and missed this completely. This will be another awesome build for sure.

12. jivin jer

jivin jer

OK, lets get back at it in a frozen shop. We lose our fastener because of the need to make the lens big like the picture.

Attached Files:

13. jivin jer

jivin jer

These lights are actually pretty good sized for this car.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      318.7 KB
      Views:
  14. 00 MACK

00 MACK

It was on the cover of the Tex Smith Custom Cars Magazine in the 80s, painted purple with flames. The owner if Im not mistaken was John Gimelli.

15. That looks grear Jer ! Happy New Year !!!

16. jivin jer

jivin jer

Cut, fit, cut, fit, repeat.

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      500.2 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      497.7 KB
      Views:
  17. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey jer, can ya cut those back bits from a sheet of stainless, and once cut out, polish them with sucessive grades of wet & dry paper to serve as reflectors for the taillamp bulbs? They'll never tarnish or pit and always reflect good light!

18. jivin jer

jivin jer

Of course! Just like "the guy's" did it.

19. farmer12

farmer12

Love the skirts, looking good! Keep up the great work!

20. jivin jer

jivin jer

Just for the record, this is the third round of, too light?, too dark?, too green?, too sparkley?, etc.. I CAN walk AND chew gum at the same time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  21. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey jer, I got ya, and I'll shut up now;) But on the subject of paint draw down cards......there's a big difference between seein a colour on a card, and seein that same colour on a panel the size of a hood or roof! Always best to do a full spray out on a much larger panel than a card:)

22. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, the back and forth with Jesse is about $75.00 a pop now. Would the best method on a hood or roof be Greyhound? Seriously, when we get close I can do a glove box door or something.

23. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

That paint isn't cheap. Especially when you get into the metallic paints. My local paint store is great about free samples but you throw in a metallic or a pearl... $50 to $100 a pop. I feel your pain Jer

24. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

On a different note. I like to shoot out my "test cards" on a 16x16 piece of sheet metal. I put them in the English wheel or the brake to get a contoured panel so I can see the flop. Just a thought.

25. jivin jer

jivin jer

With all this talk about stainless reflectors and English wheels it look's like it's time to talk about the methodology of this build.
    I've been thrilled to discover that 40-50's technology fits my skill level perfectly. This means that every once in a while I get something right on the first try.
    I've been out of the loop regarding hand's on for 25-30 years. I had to learn that even though I was in the office I was still working on cars (data). However, I always had a project going over in the corner of the shop.
    When I sold my shop in '05 and moved to Texas I was encouraged to find out I still had all my skill's. Now, don't get me wrong, I love my MIG and my other modern tools, but, I'm finding out that I fit right in with these old custom's that I have the privilege of being involved with. I would say average skill's, above average determination.
    So, with my goal being to create a historical document, I'm pretty comfortable. More so as time passes.
    The only English wheel that I would be familiar with would be the one that's attached to a MG or Austin Healey if they were in my shop.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love your gum flavors.

27. jivin jer

jivin jer

OK, let's get back to these tail lights.

Attached Files:

• 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      311.1 KB
      Views:
  28. Jer,I hear you on todays mentality,that anything less than 139 percent perfection is a hack job.....
    1-upmanship is the name of the metal messiah's of todays game....
    the pioneers of the hobby simply wasted our time building our sloppy cars I GUESS,BUT damn THEY RAN AND LOOKED JUST AS GOOD AFTER COMPLETION......plus they inspired the wannabes we are surrounded by today to wanna create in the end result!
    so not a waste of out time after all.

Enough ranting,On your paint dilemma.....
    you simply need a good picture of color of choice- or a chunk of painted part from the color of the old coupe,take it to any PPG paint dealer,they have a device ["Prophet"]that they put on the sample and it "reads" the color and creates a paint formula for you....

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  29. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

The prophet would be great if a quality original color photo or the car itself still existed. This is where Jer is finding himself in a pickle. The only way to get the color right is the memory of a very old gentleman.

30. I wonder if Rik , has any information ( color pictures) ... I'm sure Jer will get this figured out in time . There has to be some kind of answer to the correct color..