Register now to get rid of these ads!

Recreating grill surround?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55chieftan, May 27, 2011.

1. 55chieftan

55chieftan
    from Maryland

How easy would it be for someone with the right tools to recreate a grill surround? It's easy to find 1935 Dodge parts but not 1935 Desoto parts. I'm going to try to find someone but have no clue what would be a fair price and don't want to go into it blind. I just don't know how long it would take.

The front is supposed to look like this (not my car). I would want them to create the surrounding part and the center bar. Polished stainless I assume?

[​IMG]

2. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Sorry to break the news to you, but there isn't going to be a fair price on that!
    It's a pretty complicated piece, and being stainless makes it even more difficult to fabricate. Any metal master who can do the job, will expect good compensation for it. The equipment needed to form those curves and edges can be pretty expensive, though it is always possible to do it by hand, it would just take WAY longer.
    Ballpark, I would guess a couple thousand, or higher.
    Best bet is to keep searching and find some restorable replacements, no matter how much they cost.
    Or do something custom to replace the original trim. Maybe bend up some half round brass, solder studs to the back and chrome it. Or do the same with steel tubing, cut it in half after shaping, weld studs, and plate.