Register now to get rid of these ads!

Recommended tranny shop in Arlington, TX?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldCarPilot, Jan 6, 2004.

1. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

Or near by? Looking for a trusted place to rebuild a TH350.

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Flat-Top Bob lives in Arlington and would be able to recommend a good place. He might be on vacation right now though. Email him at [email protected] If you don't get a response, and no one else here can recommend a joint, I'll give you Bob's shop/yard number and you can ask his brother to suggest a place.

3. shifts

shifts

Either Eagle Transmission or High Tech Transmission in Arlington should be a good place. Both are members of our association.Dave

4. disastron13

disastron13

Had some work done on a boss's tranny at the big rebuild place in Midland, watched the young mechanic place every part on a clean shop rag, clean everything and dry it with compressed air, clean his hands every few minutes.
    Commented to the owner and he said, "Yeah 271 automatic transmissions and he's had only two come back."
    Good shop

5. BELLM

BELLM

Carry Out Transmissions, Robert McGuyer, 972 617 0932 in Red Oak. I don't know him or his work, I met him @ Pate this year. He is an older guy, seemed very knowledgeable. Got one of his business cards, I wrote on back "350 turbo hot rod transmission $400". I just rebuilt one & put in my 32 overhaul kit was around $75 from NAPA. Good luck! [​IMG]

6. himmelberg

himmelberg

Hey disastron, what's the name of that place in Midland? himmelberg

7. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

I can reccomend a shop.
    It is not close to you, but is worth the drive.
    Your transmission will get the right stuff in it, and the owner and crew are good folks.
    You might even get liquid refreshment, if you go there.

It is in Eau Claire, Wisc.

the owner gives transmission guys Schoolin.

By the way Dave, The creeper works good.
    The faded logo says Snapon.
    Jim

8. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

So for those who have done it them selves how was that?

9. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Just for the record, our pal FlatTop lives in Wellington, quite some distance from Arlington, although he probably knows someone down there..... That Texas is a pretty big place.....

10. shifts

shifts

Hey JimC, after you left we found a couple cans of Bud we musta missed somehow.Being as how I only drink "diet" beer now, I'll save it for you for when you come up for the BTT50s.Dave

11. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Dave, hang on to those.
    BTT50s is a possibility.
    Look for an old Red 62 Chebby.
    Jim

12. shifts

shifts

If anyone is really thinking about rebuilding their own tranny, I have step by step videos & shop rebuilding books I would loan out on an "honor" system. Also, I can compete w/ most parts stores on overhaul kits, shift kits, torque convertors etc.Dave

13. OCP,
    Let me know if you decide to do it yourself, 67ImpWagon and I can watch with the best of them.

I watched Phil put a kit in his tranny, I would be happy to stand behind you and holler encouraging words.

"You should have marked where that went"
    "Left over parts are designed into this kit"
    "Just force it, it'll work fine"
    "This is why I have a 4sp"

Let me know when you want to pick up the engine hoist.
    TZ

14. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

Thanks Tyler... Glad I can count on you. [​IMG]
    We'll see about doing that rebuild my self. Sounds kinda like I need some tools that I don't have. Also the tranny is supposed to be good so that doesn't motivate me to rebuild it either.
    I'm getting side engine mounts for the car and will start there. Gotta get all the parts together before I pull it all.

15. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[ QUOTE ]
    Just for the record, our pal FlatTop lives in Wellington, quite some distance from Arlington, although he probably knows someone down there..... That Texas is a pretty big place.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Flat Top.....Flat Black.... Arlington.... Wellington.... They're all in the lovely state of TX and one of these days I'll be able to pay them a visit. [​IMG]

16. BELLM

BELLM

OldCarPilot the only hard part of rebuilding TH 350 is getting the last snap ring out of the very back end of the case to replace seals. I bought a GM steering column spring compressor, used a longer piece of allthread instead of threaded handle, put a large washer & nut on backside, worked great. Other than that I dont use any special tools. Good shop manual with lots photos/diagram will help. Worst part is cleaning up all parts. Give it a shot!!

Denise I think you should take a break from the cold & come down to Austin, Texas for the Kontinentals Lonestar Roundup last weekend in May.

17. BELLM

BELLM

CORRECTION TO MY POST Roundup is last weekend in March. Sorry!

18. mikeyboy

mikeyboy

Mikes trick shift...between Azle & Weatherford.....a bit of a drive from Arlongton, but this guy is GOOD!!!!!
    Has built several for me as well as many of the local drag guys and hot rod guys as well. Also just a really cool guy to talk to, i am proud to consider him one of my close friends... btw...817-221-2400

19. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

You might try and PM Lefty. There is a guy by the Kennedale dragstrip that is supposedly good. Lefty and another freind of mine go by there to hang out often. Hav'nt used him but they say he's pretty good.

20. 53choptop

53choptop

Hey Shifts PM'ed ya.