Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Recommendations on a reasonable wiring harness?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thechondro, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Never wired a car before. Wanna give it a shot. What’s a easy, reasonably priced full wiring harness? Want to always have options for goodies. So maybe a 22 circuit? Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. thechondro likes this.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

thechondro likes this.
  4. I did my '59 Ford with a Kwik Wire 14-circuit harness. I really have no options outside of a cooling fan so it worked out well.

thechondro likes this.
  5. 29moonshine

29moonshine

ezwire or auto wire

thechondro likes this.
  6. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Ron Francis is the only way to go. They have a fantastic product.

thechondro likes this.
  7. manyolcars

manyolcars

What do you with. the extra unused wires in those kits? And what about the wire you need that isn't included in the kit?

8. Rebel, Ron Francis, American AutoWire all have good reviews here. Which one you buy depends on your budget and how much customization you intend to implement. Reading old threads is helpful in making your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

thechondro likes this.
  9. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have used Ron Francis, Haywire, Its a Snap, and EZ wire. The EZ Wire is my favorite of the terminated at the fuse panel kits. But, the Ron Francis was the easiest to do a neat install, it just takes a good deal more time and effort. I am just a hobby guy so I am sure the pros have a different view. I will say that a local guy that many look to for wiring uses the EZ Wire harness.

thechondro likes this.
  10. trollst

trollst

Depends what you're doing and how much skill you have. If you just want a basic kit, 22 circuit, go for the cheaper ones, that's what you'll get, a kit with no extras,, you'll have to buy switches and wire ends, connectors, etc, I suggest going with an American autowire kit, open the box and EVERYTHING you need is there. Extra wire, switches, practice wire ends so you can screw up some and got more, the easiest part is their systems use small packages to wire each piece of the car till its all done. There will be a section for just the engine, then one just for the lights, etc, and the fuse box is separate from the harness so you can cut your wires to length for a neater job.
    Don't let the job intimidate you, one wire at a time, don't get ahead of yourself, READ the directions, and make sure the built in smoke stays there.

thechondro likes this.
  11. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Since you've never wired a car before, American Auto Wire is the way to go. The money you'll spend on the kit will save you in time & aggravation. I'm about to use my 5th kit.

thechondro likes this.
  12. A 22-circuit harness kit will be overkill unless you're planning on adding every electrical accessory known to man. A 18-circuit will cover all the basics plus all 'normal' add-ons. And I'd highly recommend reading this.... https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/wiring-101.843579/ … before ordering to insure you get what you actually need.

Virtually all aftermarket harness kits have inadequacies (due to vendor costs and limitations in the supplied parts) that will have to be addressed for proper performance.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    thechondro likes this.
  13. I liked the Kwik Wire products since I could read and download the instructions before I shelled out my $$. Looked it over and bought one. Got a new HL switch and also the dimmer switch for a nominal extra cost.

thechondro likes this.
  14. I few years ago I bought an American Autowire highway 15 series kit. Cost more but for a rookie wirer. It saved my ass. really is a step by step kit. With great directions and all the little do dads included.

thechondro likes this.
  15. rjones35

rjones35

I used Centech in my 63. I had never done a complete re-wire before and I wanted something that would work with my dash, gauges,headlights, etc....plus have room for extras. They were really good to work with.

https://www.centechwire.com/

thechondro likes this.
  16. Mine needed too much stuff customized to go with the AAW harness. I upgraded my rear light sockets to GM ones and bored my cans out accordingly. My front light sockets were all good and I rebuilt my parking lights to take newer wires sockets too. The dome light was another story. I used Dorman weather-pak connectors to wire my headlights and parking lights.
    423-003.JPG 423-004.JPG 423-005.JPG 423-006.JPG 423-007.JPG 423-008.JPG 423-013.JPG

thechondro likes this.
  17. American Auto Wire in my opinion is the best for a novice,the instructions are broken down into different sections,they are in color and everything you need is included in the box,they are not cheap.

In the last 50 years I have made my own and used all the the aftermarket kits mentioned by previous members.

I have used 5 of their kits on my own cars and helped install at lest 10 more for others. HRP

[​IMG]

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just finished my wiring. Coach Controls makes one of the nicest panels you will ever find...not the cheapest however. Then again why save a hundred bucks on an electrical system?
    http://coachcontrols.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=41
    Panel is small, contains 23 circuits powered though fuses and relays
    upload_2018-6-18_11-55-48.png
    I have wired several cars and this is the easiest, tidiest and stresslessiest I have ever encountered. My car is not basic so I needed a not-basic power center, It has power windows, stereo, heated seats, eclectic fan, electric fuel pump, horn, high beams and fog light...all relays for those components are built in, no external relays anywhere on my car. I mounted this panel on a hinge, when folded up there is visually detectable electrical system on my car.

All I had to do was to mount this panel and run one wire to every component on the car.

The next level up from this one I bought has one touch power windows, euro 3 blink turn switch for lane changes, car alarm, windows that drop an inch to make it easier to close the doors (especially rag tops), Automatic head light controls, slow dimming interior lights, walk-up lights remote activated, LED ready, flashing brake light...It is ridiculous and probably the most advanced kit on the market.

Depends on what you are building and how nice you are making it. Just because a car looks traditional doesn't mean you cant have it built safe, convenient and practical. What you don't see, you don't know.

thechondro likes this.
  19. Think I’m gonna try the American auto wire. Let you guys know how it goes! And thanks everyone. It’s Hard for me to tackle some of the stuff without help. Glad I have you guys!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. beater32

beater32

Another vote for American Autowire. I've just finished installing one if their kits and I'm a complete novice with electrical work. Everything worked first time, hardest part was routing the wires.
    Having every circuit in their own bag with its separate instructions makes it simpler to get your head around it.

Sent from my ZTE R84 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

thechondro likes this.
  21. I like that American Autowire has the instructional wiring diagrams on the web, for their panels.
    I bought a finished rod with the Highway 22. As I've wanted to add accessories or understand how things work, I've been able to print the schematics and written instructions for each area of the car.

Phil

thechondro likes this.