Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rebuilt 327 SBC Value

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The37Kid, Apr 23, 2018.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Another car has finally come up for sale and I need to sell off stuff I hadn't planned to part with. What is a rebuilt 327 with a 5 speed worth? I'm hoping it is close to $4,500, it came out of a nicely built '50 Chevy pickup. Bob

2. I just sold a fully rebuilt ‘68 327 275hp with invoices for $2000. It took me 6 months to sell it.
    With the cheap cost of crate engines, I think these older “traditional” engines are losing value. Just my $.02

bob b., Hot Rod Nut, swade41 and 6 others like this.
  3. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

more info would help what 327 what 5 speed did you rebuild it or get it that way. plain jane with a t5 around here you would be lucky to get 2000

4. Agreed. I'm a long way from you. But $2000 tops around here depending on the details

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even at 2 K you will need a complete and itemized parts list and the name of the shop that did the work to satisfy most ardent 327 fans. Then you get into the guys who want date codes original application code and what not as they want one for an everything has to be just right application. Otherwise to most it is just a nice used small block V8.

LOU WELLS, Duellym and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If it's really a good engine don't sell it to cheap.
    Maybe the new gas class series would have a buyer being they have to have it.

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thank you for all your help, this is part of being car poor, too many projects, and a car I've wanted for close to 50 years finally turns up. I'm NOT going to loose it, just have to sell off what I like least, good stuff, it just has to go the fund the new love. Bob

8. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It's always a problem to get much money for an engine because it's impossible to tell the condition without opening it up to inspect it. As with anything, it's usually worth more to the seller than it is to the buyers who will be assuming all risks.

Hot Rod Nut and zzford like this.
  9. just bought a rebuilt short block for $1k and fresh heads for $425

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Around here good small journal 327's are tough to find. Much prefer them to a crate motor. Have two fresh ones here for projects. They cost more to build than a crate motor. Just bought a sweet running one out of a car for $350-guy is putting in an LS-glad to get it. Friend just bought one for $2000. It is a high end build and complete with receipts (cost $4100). Guy had it in a 66 Nova and drove it 500 miles then went to a new LS supercharged motor like a CTS-V and auto trans package. The last 4 40's have small journal 327's as will the one in progress.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    LOU WELLS likes this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

$350!!!
    PLEASE tell me it's not a 66 Nova block.

12. Engines for me have always been a hard sell. Everyone want some kind of proof of rebuild etc.

Just sold a freshly rebuilt 261 for the cost of the rebuild and the guy want the valve , side cover and oil pan pulled to see inside.

And he was still sceptical, told him I’ll pull the head off if he really wants, then his price came up a bit and I let her go, like you I just wanted to free up my money to use on other stuff.

13. -Brent-

-Brent-

Good God, this is THE truth. 10000000000%

INVISIBLEKID, zzford and czuch like this.
  14. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I've paid good money for core value motors, from a friend, who was running it only a few years ago.
    Really a hard sell.

15. I bought a fresh rebuilt 327 once. Lasted a few weeks 'til the rods went south. Seems the rebuilder forgot to clean out all the oil passages which had some dirt in them. I see a lot of rebuilt engines on C/L for sale. Wouldn't consider one. Who knows the competence of the rebuilder of the quality of the parts?

46international and Hot Rod Nut like this.
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Purely an observation, not pointing fingers at anyone.

Can't always blame the shop, sometimes they give the customer only what they are willing to pay for, then go on the internet and bad mouth the shop when things go tits up.
    To this day people want to build their engines for as cheap as possible.
    They will buy a $400 cel phone before they would spend it on an engine.

olscrounger and Hotrodmyk like this.
  17. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DDDenny-the $350 one is a 65 300HP that was in a 40 coupe-runs great. The $2000 one is a standard block and decked as well.. Did a 40 for a guy a while back (it is in the 40 thread) It has a nova block(raised oil filter) but was decked and had a 66 date code. Put a 65 Rochester FI unit on it too-runs great!!
    We try to snag any small journal 327 we can.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    LOU WELLS and Gman0046 like this.
  18. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry, but I always figure that if I can't hear the engine run, it's junk and not worth more that I can afford to loose over & above the scrap metal value of the "boat anchor". I wouldn't pay any more than $500.00 for a 327 I can't hear run. $4500 ?? Not a chance!

19. Local friend is having a hard time getting a fresh rebuilt carb to pan, legitimate mid 12 second in a 55 Chevy, sold for $3500 here.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

I should clarify that, I'm going to be selling a lot of things to net the $4,500. I need, whatever the market value on the 327 and 5 speed are worth is what they will add to the pile. Block is three years past the HAMB cutoff so I won't post photos. Bob

21. 327Eric

327Eric

A running engine is worth about a third of what you think it is worth, rebuilt or not. A 327 is gold if you have one, scrap if you want to sell one. I have 2 small journals i cant give away, and won't. A large journal 327 is worthless to 327 snobs. That said, your combo about 1000 to 1200 at best. Maybe worth more seperated.

22. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Straying a bit from the intent of the thread, but can a large journal crank be offset ground to the small journal size to build a stroked 327?

23. which block and which crank?

24. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Getting ready to do a '66 327/350hp motor. Std. bore, org. forged pistons/crank, correct heads, etc. Just need to get the correct #490 intake for it. Should be a fun build.

47chevycoupe and olscrounger like this.
  25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Teaser