Register now to get rid of these ads!

rebuilding my alternator-what kit/brand/parts should I use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny1290, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I'm rebuilding a CS144 alternator and I'm looking around for a rebuild kit, all I can find is this Victory lap stuff that's around 40 bucks and complete.

I look on alternatorpart.com and see it's much more expensive, but you have heavy duty rectifiers and things.

Then I look around at napaonline, and they got bupkis.

So should I be wary of this Victory Lap kit? Is there a place I should try in town for parts? (I haven't called a rebuilder because in the past they've always been super expensive, but if you think it's worth a shot i will)

If I can affordably replace the bearings/brushes/ etc I'd like to do the whole thing, otherwise I can take it apart and see, maybe cheat and just replace the rectifier and keep the regulator. .

I just got burned for $150 on my last 'rebuilt' alternator so I figure I can't do a *worse* job.

Obviously I've never done this before.

Thanks much!

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

with NAPAonline you have to look up the individual parts, brushes, bearings, rectifiers. they have them all

3. 12905

Don't buy a kit. buy the parts you need from a reputable jobber. Bearings are standard sizes and can be bougth at any bearing supply, or from your chosen jobber.

4. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Thanks, fellas.

The Victory Lap kit didn't have a regulator, so I went with this one on ebay for $50.

If I were working I'd go all out and spend $150 on parts to get the good stuff, but I ain't so I'm gonna roll with this and keep a spare alternator in the trunk just in case. heh :)

5. 383 240z

383 240z