Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical rebuilding an early 30's chevy cab frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jarred Hodges, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

On my newly acquired 33 chevy truck the sheet metal is solid but the wood framework is rough in a lot of places. I am planning to replace the wood with boxed tubing. I am sure guys on here have done the same and am looking for any tips or pics before I start. I am thinking of buying a couple sticks of 1x1 or 1x2 tubing to reframe the cab. Any advice is appreciated

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't just rip out the wood willy-nilly. Carefully remove and use the pieces for patterns for the tube. even if it breaks, glue / wire wrap/ duct tape / tack it together to maintain the needed dimensions and reference points. Or, use tracing paper / cardboard to trace the outline as a pattern. A piece or pattern can be used to replicate both sides if one is missing / too far gone. The replacement tubing need not follow the exact contour, just provide the needed reinforcement at the required locations.

3. F&J

F&J

measure how thick the main sills are, they might be 1.5". Get the right thickness tubing for that first.

look at the main wood pieces to get the best size tube for what it needs, it will save time.

door posts get tricky with recessed hinge pockets that it has, doors too.

truck is easier than car, so get started :eek:

4. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

what was the plan. I want to use the wood as a pattern and replace it with steel piece by piece. The main concern I have now is getting the doors to shut properly since they don't right now.

5. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i used a piece if 1/4" plate to make the door jams . just trace the wood pattern on to the plate i drilled and taped the plate to bolt the hinges and strikers . then put the jam covers over the plate. the rest i used 14 gauge 1x1 and 1x2

6. Gofannon

Gofannon

I did this on a '36 Chevy truck. One thing to watch for, when I made the front pillars I took the pattern off the wood and transferred onto a suitable box section. However, I had trouble getting it to fit and then discovered it needed to twist slightly. Study every piece carefully. By the way, this isn't a "real" '36 cab. I fabricated everything from the cowl back so there are lots of differences.
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

tb33anda3rd likes this.