Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rebuilding an 8BA and have ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cball, Jun 22, 2008.

1. cball

cball

So I bought a 1950 8BA that was free but needed to be rebuilt. This past week I took it apart and had the block and heads tanked for cleaning and check for cracks. Everything checked out ok, no cracks but I had the shop use a dial bore guage and check my cylinders dimensions. I found out the motor had been bored .030" over and the cylinders were on average .007 - .009" over that. The shop told me .006" is the max before needing to be bored again. I was hoping to ridge ream and light hone and put .030" rings back on the pistons I have, but now I don't think that is a good idea. Will I get piston slap if I don't bore out to .060" over and get new pistons and rings. I am looking for some input on the situation???? .060" over to much????

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

If you are not planing on 10k a year it will ring no problem. .060 ain't even starting to bore one of those 95% will bore .187. Just make sure your new ring set has for one of the oil rings the modern 3 piece style ,U shaped center section and 2 thin rails.

3. Flatman

Flatman

Did they check for cylinder taper or S pattern wear? What do the thrust faces of the pistons look like?

Flatman

4. cball

cball

The cylinders do taper out from .005-.006 to .008-.009" bottom to top of cylinder. The pistons have some decent wear but I didn't notice an s-pattern. I should look closer. Can you explain the s-pattern a little?

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Easy bore to +.125" with room for two or three more rebuilds...

6. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

yea, but if you only bore it .040 over you will be able to rebuild it several more times.

7. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

With 100K on a rebuild - how many more times you plan on rebuilding it? +.125" over is just getting started on a flatty...

8. cball

cball

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

9. flathead4d

flathead4d

Bore it to 3-5/16" if you have to rebuild it again you can go to 3-3/8". Like Flat Ernie said "how many more times are you going to rebuild it?"

10. Flatman

Flatman

I meant an S pattern wear in the cylinders. The cylinder will wear on one side at the bottom and the opposite side at the top. Exaggerated, the wear pattern resembles an S curve.

Flatman