Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. squirrel

squirrel

way to go! I got to hear it fire Monday when I was standing in staging lanes.

See you later in the week! my turd is still running ok

els, kiwijeff, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  2. jerry

jerry

Like they say, "That's racing." You have done so much in so little time, thanks for having us along for the journey!

Life goes on, just don't lose the faith!

So glad that you are going on with the dream!

jerry

els and racer-x like this.
  3. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great write up thanks for posting. I'm still amazed at the pace.

4. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Wishing I could be there to see you run. In this picture from Hot Rod, are you launching with the trunk lid open?
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els, kidcampbell71, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks like he hit the water with the lid up and stopped at about 60 ft to shut the lid and ran down the rest of the track. I think this was the run to break the beams not a "real" run

els and loudbang like this.
  6. we had a problem with the brake light switch. it was brand new and stayed on. it had killed the battery. we had a jumper pack on it in the trunk. my neighbor across the corn field was going to take it out after the car fired. i guess he wasn't quick enough. when a nitro car fires there is no sitting around like a bracket car. they get hot fast and use a lot of fuel. fellow hamber rooman and mike dunn will be at indy. both of these guys have a lot of nitro experience. it will be good to have a few sets of eyes on the car there. they know what to look for. we serviced the engine tonight and found the ground strap burned off number one. this is not uncommon because number one gate the most air. we will richen it up four numbers. as the fine tuning advances each cylinder will have its own size nozzle assigned to it. thats why you read plugs. richening one cylinder leans out the others to some extent. its a balancing act. adjusting nozzles also effects the overall pressure. we have ngk b9es plugs jn it. these are fairly hot plugs for a nitro car. the good thing is they will remove the strap killing the spark before a piston is torched. i felt inside the exhaust port and on the back side of the valve for any piston particles. it will look like spray weld. there wasnt any. if there is any piston spray there it got real hot and things then need a closer look. usually a ring gets pinched. we also checked the nozzle to make sure it wasn't plugged. this is all normal nitro engine servicing here. thats why i said in the video it takes time to sort out and to go slow to avoid a disaster. i would sure like to make a all out full throttle pass but it would be a very unsafe thing to do. not only would i be it danger others would be also. you have to treat a nitro engine with patience. if you think you are going to tell it what to do and not listen bad things happen before you can lift and apologies to it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    els, kiwijeff, belair and 7 others like this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

Photos from the Hot Rod article :rolleyes:

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Capture5.JPG

Capture6.JPG

els, racer-x, kiwijeff and 6 others like this.
  8. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Man this car is so BADASS

9. Brian, glad you will have extra help at Indy. Did you get the trans back on line?

10. els, hipster, kiwijeff and 5 others like this.
  11. Loaded up heading back for more. The rig looks like something out of a modern day grapes of wrath.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els, kiwijeff, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  12. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Go for it! Good Luck, looks like your loaded for Bear! Gary:D

13. Wishing for the very best. What a venture !

14. Saxxon

Saxxon

Go man Go !!!
    It would be very cool to see you steal the show with a few nitro runs.

els, racer-x, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  15. 55Belairretrorod

55Belairretrorod
    from Australia

Brian, it's been said a hundred times already but I admire your dedication in seeing this badass build through to fruition at such a high standard in such a short time. I wish I had a quarter of your drive! When you get five minutes to spare, can you elaborate on the possible causes of the Bruno failure.
    Cheers from Downunder.
    Arnold.

16. squirrel

squirrel

we're in Indy already, hope to see you tomorrow!

els, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  17. We will be standing, cheering and yelling our heads off as soon as we hear you are in the staging lanes!:D

els, racer-x, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  18. It was drivers error. When we were testing the cooling system we had it on car on stands. I put in gear and was spinning the tires. For some stupid reason i hit the bruno brake. I now better. It was enough to make the drum start to eat itself up.

els, hipster, bobwop and 1 other person like this.
  19. Made it to indy. On the way we stopped at the old us 30 drag strip. Mark my co pilot had never been there. It closed in the mid eighties. The place is legendary. 1473909255196.jpg 1473909260705.jpg still dont know why the images keep flipping. I have tried several things. Looks like a visit to att

els, kiwijeff, bobwop and 5 others like this.
  20. dearjose

dearjose

Can't say enough about the effort put forth and how killer this car is. Any when you get it dialed in it's going to be fuckn insane. Any chance of you taking the short drive to eau claire wi for the fall fallout at rock falls oct 1st and 2nd. 2nd day is a musclecar event or some shit but you could take a bunch of hits. Looking forward to some video from indy. Good luck tomorrow.

els, hipster and racer-x like this.
  21. squirrel

squirrel

fun! we haven't been taking time to do interesting things like that, we should.

see if this flips them again. i'm on my laptop now.

brian1.jpg brian2.jpg

els, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  22. Day 4 live stream:

Looking forward to your pass!

23. Hope you have a great day Brian. Jim, watch out for that willys, good luck.

gtodalep, els, racer-x and 1 other person like this.
  24. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

i AM AT WORK AND I DON'T HAVE AN OFFICE ANYMORE SO I CAN'T LET THE LIVE STREAM JUST RUN ALL DAY. SO I WILL BE CHECKING THIS THREAD ALL DAY. WHEN BRIAN MAKES HIS RUNS CAN SOMEONE POST THE TIME OF THE FEED SO I CAN SCROLL THRU THE VIDEO AND GET TO WHERE IT IS AND WATCH IT.
    THANKS

els likes this.
  25. Champscotty58

Champscotty58

26. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

you really need to step up and get yourself an enclosed trailer. Protect your investment! Avoid weather and theft.

els, hipster and racer-x like this.
  27. Tach is not needed, Brian will only see Elvis at 1320 feet if the little coupe responses to the throttle as planned :p

els, racer-x, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  28. squirrel

squirrel

Car is in the lanes

els, hipster, kiwijeff and 5 others like this.
  29. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

2:00pm Easy pass 9:50's with a cost through the traps

els, kiwijeff and loudbang like this.
  30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Just ran a 9, let off after the 1/8 marker. Ran 5 something in the 1/8z

Looked great! Got a little side ways in the burn out but his run down the track looked nice and straight

els, racer-x, kiwijeff and 1 other person like this.