Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

WOW! That's twisted all to hell. I am honestly surprised its THAT tweaked from a relatively low speed hit.

els likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You had me at spindle mount mag. five spokes and bear claws, or bear paws.

els and volvobrynk like this.
  3. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

The damage is bad, which surprises me too since he was passing tech to run 10.0 in it. I'm no expert, but with this much carnage at 35, it's scary to think what it would have looked like if this had happened at the top end of a run.

Outback, els, hipster and 3 others like this.
  4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

It pretty much bent around the rear crossmember/driveshaft loop, it looks like some sort of x-member tied into the mid-plate would have been a good deal.

els likes this.
  5. Its a crying shame to see your coupe so battered, but thankfully both you and the coupe will return! Good luck on the rebuild. I look forward to watching your progress.

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Front frame horns all separated at the welds for the boxing plates..35 mph..I re read the entire post but don't understand how it happened if it was stated I missed it...

els, hipster and volvobrynk like this.
  7. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I've seen a lot of wrecks.
    Taking the boxing plates out of the equation, I think the frame did a good job.
    I must have missed the 35 mph part.
    Glad you're OK
    Jim

els likes this.
  8. els and volvobrynk like this.
  9. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek: Glad to hear you`re ok.Sad about the car though.That can be fixed fairly easily.YOU can`t.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

els likes this.
  10. 31 dodger i will get a fold of him. i have a spare insert that i found on e bay years ago. as you know this is one rare car.

Outback, els and volvobrynk like this.
  11. Have you thought about using a Deuce frame? HRP

Nicholas Coe, els and jekalaka like this.
  12. rockfish

rockfish

els likes this.
  13. my chassis builder did run the deuce rail idea passed me. i think that were i want to go with this car i need the double round tube chassis. the speeds i want to go will need to be around 180 mph. that kind of speed needs the frame rails as narrow as possible. a narrow frame is a stiff frame. the motor mounts and mid plate become shorter also. the frame will be no further out than the outside edge of the deck. it will be very similar to a fuel altered. while i do plan to street drive the car i want every thing built into this chassis to run the number at drag week.i also want it light so its easier on parts. i was surprised at the frame damage to. then after thinking about it something has to give when 3200 lbs comes to a immediate stop. i did move the concrete barrier back about six inches. i showed it who's boss.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  14. Can somebody post a picture of an engine travel limiter. This is mentioned early in this thread and I'd like to learn more about it. Thanks.

els likes this.
  15. 20150920_160116.jpg Today i got after the dana. I used a chop saw and saws all to remove the axle tubes. Im going with a four link this time around. The shock mounts were junk and the ladder bar mounts needed to go to. I could have cut it all off and cleaned it up but it always ends up looking nasty. Dana guys take note. Removing the stock tubes and replacing them with chromoly tubes saves 15-20 pounds depending on the length. I was using the longer b- body dana out of a charger so i should be closer to 20 lbs a sharp eye will notice the ring with magnets on it mounted to the yoke. thats for the traction control.

els, Runnin shine and volvobrynk like this.
  16. 20150920_152859.jpg I found this little surprise when i got the cover off. It can only be chunks of spider gears. The rear end was not making any noises. Im sure im pushing the limits of the diff. i don't want to go with a spool if i don't have to. another good reason to lighten it up. good thing i didn't pass up two good dana sure grips a few years back for 150 dollars. that was for the pair.

els likes this.
  17. I mentioned im going spindle mount. This showed up on my door last week. Its a forged chromoly anglia spindle kit made by stilletto. Most funny cars and the faster drag week cars use these. The dw cars also use them with struts. I was told as long as i have a front suspension they will live during street duty. 20150920_160221.jpg

els likes this.
  18. Just to make my busted up self feel better i bought new m h tires. The rears are 16 inch dia. The bear claws only came as 16s. I wanted a speed rated front tire on the front. I just need the wheels back from the polisher. if any one needs some polished radir tri ribs or some slicks that only have five runs on them i just happen to know a guy selling some 20150920_162830.jpg

Outback and els like this.
  19. 20150920_153053.jpg This was the lower blower pulley. I will be checking out the thrust. The pulley will find a place of honor on the shop wall. The offerings to the gods of speed is getting bigger

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  20. I never did get the drivers side brake line back. It was torn off. I do have the passenger side. When i took it off the caliper i was surprised to see this. It all worn. The strange thing is nothing would rub on it were it attatches. Im holding it up where it would go. I wish i had the other side to compare. Could this have been the cause. I will never know. I do remember the pedal dropping half way to the floor. 20150920_152333.jpg

els likes this.
  21. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Sorry to hear about your accident. I am still recovering from mine in a 33 Ford truck just 1 year ago. Looks like you are on the rebuild.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

els, continentaljohn and volvobrynk like this.
  22. Enough of the negative stuff for one night. The car is moving forward at a good pace. Im picking up the frame tomorro. Im not sure where i will hang it but i just want it. Im also going to grab the front wheels to drill and tap them for the brake hats then run them back for the finish pollishing. Then i plan on rounding out the day getting the axle tubes out. This involves a mill. I will finish up tonight with a cool pic taken down the street two years ago. I will throw in cool pics from time to time. 20130616_200724.jpg

Outback, Nicholas Coe, els and 3 others like this.
  23. Man, sorry to see you waded it up but the new build sure seems sadistic to speed. I'll enjoy watching the build that's for sure.
    On another note my buddy Carlos was looking for a set of blue streaks for the King Kong Anglia if you want to part with them.

24. they are for sale. they are in great shape for their age. i stuck them with my durometer and they are reading in the forties. unbelievable. they show almost no wear on the tread.some one must have stored them inside. these tires are very collectable for the guys restoring old drag cars and cackle cars.

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I had 8 3/4 mopar and 12 bolt chevy spiders cryogenically treated by these guys in Northern CA, but they were in my favorites in my old computer, and I cant find them now. Prices were reasonable, but hey, maybe that why I cant find them anymore.:D there are a bunch of other guys I found doing it with a quick google search, but I haven't dealt with them. I'd do it again, the ones in the 12 bolt especially held up to some SICK levels of abuse, like running similar numbers to your coupe, but at 4200lbs.

els likes this.
  26. cool let me know if you find the number. herb mcandles told me mopar had a special spider gear during the early pro stock days. I'm going to give him a call and get the part number. we were talking about it at pri last year.

els likes this.
  27. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Sorry to hear about the car but they can be rebuilt.
    I hope we get to hang out in Bowling Green again next year

els likes this.
  28. the car will be there. hope to see you and your son again down there.

els likes this.
  29. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

God willing we will be there again. We will be camping again:)

els likes this.
  30. abone1930

abone1930

Glad your okay, it looks like in the picks you were running EFI over the 8 carbs. How do you like it? I want to run one of those and dump my carbs.

els likes this.