Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. DOugG

DOugG
    from mich

Been watchin this from the start and even re read the whole thing a few times. Even learned a few things like what to use on my Hals, tire selection, Hemi info and now a rad company that I didn't know about. I beleive I had talked to you when you were at the NSRA Nats North a few years ago.
    Great thread
    Doug G.

els likes this.
  2. Doug I'm glad you like the thread. I have learned alot also from everyone comments. I was there a few years ago. My wife and I took the ferry across to see my son at ferris state univ. He is now a engineer at Chrysler living in Clarkston. I plan on going back to Woodward if your there we can do some cruising.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    els, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  3. They say the devil is in the details. It certainly is when it comes to the sheet metal work. At first glance the details dont show. After looking closely they start to appear. Things like rolled edges done with a leather hammer. Or the drilled and tapped tabs brazed onto the panels so pieces can be screwed together. i don't want everything vibrating. The tubes are exposed for future chassis certifications. If everything was covered up holes would need to be put in for access. 20160527_161448.jpg 20160527_161519.jpg 20160527_164316.jpg 20160527_164345.jpg All of the overlapping pieces have a step in them so it all lays flat. The floor is removable. the edges need to be trimmed and rolled after the body goes back on. With the floor being steel i need to powder coat it. Im leaning toward a apple green. That way all of the details can be seen. On the other front i helped get the body onto the dollie so it can go into the paint booth. it will be painted this saturday or on tuesday.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  4. Have any idea what this will scale out at? (Not that it would matter with that drivetrain!)

Sent from my LG-LS980 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

els likes this.
  5. We had it on the scales before the body was taken off. All the fluids were in along with the battery; seats etc. It came in at 2570#. Thats 700# lighter than it was. Those figures are without me in it. Im 190#.

els likes this.
  6. This magazine showed up today. Trugreen lawn care is using the car in its national promotions. The full page ads are running in several magazines. The photo was taken in bowling green ky last june. Bob mclure called last week to tell me the coupe is going to have a full feature in a major magazine soon. This car is like a dead rock star. Its getting more attention now than when it was running. This car has received alot of press. I hope the new version can live up to its past success. 20160529_095032.jpg

els, OahuEli, Saxxon and 7 others like this.
  7. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Man that's nice metal work. Cool ad picture, too.

els and racer-x like this.
  8. 20160530_163049.jpg 20160530_163110.jpg View attachment 3231348 Todays fun was all about repairing damaged pieces. My car came from the factory with a piece of trim at the bottom of the body. The originals were full of small rust holes. A friend in town made perfect copies off the originals years ago. These old mopar parts are incredibly rare. I have never seen a set for sale. My only option was to fix what i had. When the wheels got knocked off they hit this trim both sides front and rear. I stopped by my friends house to get his opinion on how to fix them. Lucky for me he still had the dolly he used to make them. I spent a few hours getting them straight again. They were dented and twisted. I think they will help set off the green paint and break it up some what. It will add a few pounds but im ok with that. the drivers side muffler took a good hit at the turn out. i was able to save that. both headers front two pipes were dented and i was able to get creative and get those out also. this work today saved a lot of needed cash not having to buy new parts. 20150813_161126.jpg 20150813_160818.jpg 20150813_160701.jpg View attachment 3231348

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  9. Lots of good progress today. The last piece of the front end showed up. Now that can go together. It will be nice to see the car on all four wheels. Gene adams has been working with hilborn on the nitro stuff. I sent him my pump to flow. The pumps output is put into a math equation. These numbers are used to pick nozzles based on total area. This will be a safe starting point. The car was painted this morning. It was hard to get good pics due to passing clouds. It will start to get rubbed out tomorrow. After the gold leaf and chrome trim gets on it should really pop. the pics i took look terrible on my computer screen but look great on my phone. 20160601_154318.jpg 20160601_154338.jpg 20160601_154414.jpg 20160601_154347.jpg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    els, Jet96, OahuEli and 12 others like this.
  10. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

LOOKS GREAT, Gary!!!:D:D:D

11. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I'll say it pops! Looks awesome!.

12. squirrel

squirrel

nice!

13. WOW!!!!:D:cool:

14. Fordguy91

Fordguy91
    from Fl

Love the color wow

15. Champscotty58

Champscotty58

I'm so excited to see this in person!

16. oldsroller

oldsroller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from PA

WOW, love it!

17. Thanks for all the nice comments. It looks so much better in real life. I think its too bright for the camera. I have lost alot of sleep going over the paint. There has been alot of second guessing myself. One thing in particular has been the firewall. I descided at the last minute to go with a green firewall. I think it will look better against the polished pieces on the engine. I dont think the creme would give it the same effect. I caught them just in time it was taped and ready to go. Looks like i will pick it up sunday then go straight to john sheppard. He is the guy that does the gold leaf and pinstriping. He has done several cars and antique motorcycles for me. He has a good eye. I totally trust him.

els, Model A Vette, wingnutz and 2 others like this.
  18. els and racer-x like this.
  19. there seems to be something about the paint thats making the body lines stand out. is it due to the fine flake or the pearl in the clear? what ever is causing the effect i like it.

els and mad mikey like this.
  20. Brian. I for one think you are right about the green fire wall. The engine will stand out like a fine diamond ! No one will be able to resist looking at her in all her glory.

21. What convinced me to go green was a pic i posted a few months ago. The engine was on the stand painted with the polished pieces on the front. Its funny how things come together during a build.

els and mad mikey like this.
  22. Never cared for the firewall color... (sorry) and the green color is outstanding! Good choice!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Those pics are looking pretty damn good from here. I love that color, and can just imagine how in pops in the sunlight. I love this build, and the level of planning and detail you're putting into it. All of the little things that wouldn't even occur to me, you have planned to a tee. Every time I read this thread I'm not sure if I should go out to the garage and get to work or sell everything because mine will never be to the level yours is.

Sent from my SM-G920V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Go out in the garage and get to work. As long as you are happy with what you are building thats all that matters. Just have fun.

25. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

always great to you are progressing. I spotted you at GLD on Saturday, but was busy with my car.

26. Now that's a change of color, should look great when all the bling is surrounding it.

27. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi racer-x.Now that looks yummy.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

28. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

It sure pops on my monitor, and I like the green better than the orange! Don't know how it can look better in person, but I will take your word for it.

els likes this.
  29. the pics are not showing the depth. the clear had pearl in it. also the super fine gold flakes can't be seen. maybe i will try a different camera. they finished buffing it today so I'm on for sunday getting it pinstriped. john and i have been talking about what we want to do. i think I'm not going to put the pinup chick on it. it may be replaced with the mopar flying triangles from the forward look era. last time so many ideas were tried only to be wiped off. i guess we will see what i end up with. sometimes less is more.

els and Stogy like this.
  30. wicarnut

wicarnut

NICE !