Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Time to get busy for one more time at the track. The gear change helped some. The tires are still being driven into the track but not as much. The tire is getting pushed flat. It returns to its original shape after a revolution or two bouncing the tire off the track. This is the result of too little anti squat in the four link. The instant center ( the point of intersection of the bars was 48 inches out 7.8 inches up for 99 percent anti squat. It now set at 57 inches out 13.5 inches up for 145 percent anti squat. I'm really trying to keep the trans a three speed as it will be better on the street. Top pic before lower after. The shocks will be softened 8 clicks as I should have control again of the rear of the car. I have a settings I can go to for 120 and 162 anti squat. I will change it at the track if need be. 20220925_115303.jpg 20220925_115307.jpg 20220925_122125.jpg 20220925_122118.jpg

bchctybob, chryslerfan55, Tim and 4 others like this.
  2. SS327

SS327

That’s a pretty big swing. Hope it works.

3. It is. When I first had issues it went from 50 to 99 and everything was perfect. Now with more power I'm back to square one. I'm giving it another 50 percent. I have two more ic that I can go to. I will start here and see what the car likes. I'm running out of weather.

ottoman likes this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

"Go West young man":D

5. Hheeeeyyy, @racer(hiccup), @racer(hiccup) , @racer-x , I think ( burp), I think you need ( hiccup) to cut (hiccup) , to cut (hiccup) , to cut down on, on the moonshine, yyyeah( burp) lol

racer-x likes this.
  6. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Little off topic Brian, but every time I see the coupe at events it is immaculate and then I seen your little camper at Jefferson this weekend. It almost looked chrome plated! lol You must love polishing things, keep fighting the good fight getting the car dialed in. And that was a cool tach you had for sale; it was just a little out of my cheap ass price range. lol Larry

racer-x likes this.
  7. we are taking the coupe out again this saturday to union grove. i started thinking about the tires. they dont smoke as much as they used to. when this happens they are junk. the oil in them is all burned up. i called coker the m h distributor for some new ones. they said it will be late february before they will have some. then i called a friend from iowa who has a few sets. as it turned out he was at the grove for thursday testing with their nitro dragster. he brought them along and i had them mounted today. some times things just work out. taking questionable tires out of the equation will help diagnose the problems at the hit.

8. You can always count on Dale or Roger to help out when in a bind. Great guys. Glad to call them friends.

racer-x likes this.
  9. Dale bought out forrests operation. Three sets of tires were part of the deal. If you need anything for your dragster he has a lot of stuff to sell.

Calkins likes this.
  10. That is good to know. Is Forrest totally finished? I know he was trying to sell his car so he could have one built that would fit him better.

11. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Brian;
    I just learned something about tires - at least fueler-type drag slicks.
    How does tire air pressure alter things? Seems it'll change the "footprint" left/seen, but more power = harder hit changes that??? In terms of "hitting" or being pushed into the track? & do you have to chase it prior to each run? Or is there a std pressure & everything is worked around that? Seems like there's almost an infinite amount of combos to consider, so just where, exactly - & how - do you start for a base-line? I'd guess how the car launches & then goes down the track, but still... ???
    TIA.
    Marcus...

12. Forrest is totally done.

13. That is a shame. But, it is not a cheap or easy class to run. With Roger helping, I would guess Forrest had some good pieces that Dale can use in the Fuelish Flyer.

14. 20221001_111219.jpg The new four link setting worked. The car goes from a to b without using the whole lane. The new tires also helped. After the first pass I leaned it out some as it was too rich. After the second run I upped the nitro to 87 percent and the timing up to 48. It shook the tires hard at the hit. I drove through it only to drive into a track surface that was going away. It was the final points race for the snow mobiles so the track wasnt the greatest by then. The air temp and track temps cooled down by this time. The videos were gone over with my chassis friend. He said the new ic is good but the rear shocks need to be set a little softer. All in all a great day. Anytime you can test and get useful information without setting the car on fire or throwing a rod it's good.
    If I can figure out how to post the videos I will share them.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    bchctybob, The 39 guy, TFoch and 14 others like this.
  15. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

To post a video you need to load it on you tube and post the link on here!

Algoma56 likes this.
  16. I will try tomorrow.

ottoman likes this.
  17. 20221003_201915.jpg 20221003_201922.jpg 20221003_201951.jpg 20221003_201954.jpg 20221004_010228.jpg 20221004_014451.jpg 20221004_014500.jpg Before I left for the track last week I performed my usual servicing on the engine. Number 6 was leaking at 60-80 percent. I could get it down to 35 by using a bar on the blower rotating the engine. Sometimes a ring gets a little cocked in the bore. With pressure in the cylinder it can pop them back into place. I could get the leak down to 35 percent but it was very positional and not looking good. I chose to run it in the hopes it would come around. After the cackle deal at Rock Falls the engine got very hot do to making the engine lean for flames. After each pass Saturday I leaked the engine. All were 5 percent except number 6. It was up to 80 percent so it's basically dead. I had a hunch it was a pinched ring. A cylinder can get so hot the piston goes out of shape and squeezes the ring. When this happens its no longer floaring in the groove and no longer pushing into the cylinder for a good seal. I took it apart tonight. A ring was pinched as expected. The bore needed a hone job. The only hone that makes the cylinder round again while still in the car is a sunnen an-111 rigid hone. It's set as tight as it can be then spun with a half inch drill. The more pressure the better. Wd-40 is used as its being honed. A new piston and ring set was put in and it's all good. I plan on going to the Iron invasion in Davenport IA this weekend. If there's any good weather this month I will go to the Grove for another hit. Look at the heat line on the pistons exhaust side. This clearly shows it got too hot. Also the piston is damaged at the ring land. It's 2am I'm going to bed after working the day job. I was up at 4:30. The head and blower are back on. The sealers can dry while I sleep. It will all go back together later today along with a rod bearing change.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  18. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Is the Hemi Like Chevy V8s ,# 6
    Cylinder always the leanest of the
    8 cylinder ?

19. I have no idea on the Chevy stuff. If I would have shut down the engine a few seconds sooner no damage would have happened. I'm up after a few hours of sleep and back at it soon. I want to fire it up today.

mad mikey likes this.
  20. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Great behind the scenes teck, Brian thanks for sharing that with us. You nitro guys change pistons like the rest of us change spark plugs.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    mad mikey and racer-x like this.
  21. squirrel

squirrel

I don't change spark plugs nearly as often as Brian changes pistons!

Tim, seb fontana, mad mikey and 5 others like this.
  22. She is a runner again. No leaks and Great oil pressure. I have to move my smoke detector out side so I don't get any visitors. When the cylinder gets temp it smokes until it burns out the extra oil. The weather looks good for the Iron invasion in Davenport Ia so I'm headed there this weekend. The shows procedes go to the families of kids with cardiac defects. The financial burdens placed on these families can be devastating. I go to the show on my dime to support this great cause and to give something back. Come out and see the show if you can. The highlight of the show is when a chosen family gets a big check. Sometimes the child is present.

23. Tim, mad mikey, David Gersic and 4 others like this.
  24. I have been to several over the years. The weather has rarely been good. This year the weather looks like dry and 60s.

mad mikey, verno30 and Calkins like this.
  25. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will be there as well.

Great cause and a great show.

racer-x likes this.
  26. trad27

trad27

Looks like a good time for a good cause. your getting me excited for California Hot Rod Reunion here in Bako for my nitro fix.

Calkins, racer-x and mad mikey like this.
  27. 20221012_170749.jpg 20221012_170805.jpg I was doing some maintenance on the Bruno and found this. The flywheel is cracked like I have never seen before. It's cracked everywhere. This could have been a huge disaster. That's why we check everything on a regular basis. Unless I can get another one in the next few days the season might be over. This is not a cheap part to replace. 20221012_170743.jpg 20221012_170818.jpg 20221012_170812.jpg

28. AmishMike

AmishMike

Wow, how the hell did that thing still hold together. Did it fall apart when removed?

427 sleeper likes this.