Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Will there be a live coverage of this event ?

Stogy likes this.
  2. Go get ‘em!!!

racer-x and Stogy like this.
  3. Good luck Brian!!

racer-x and Stogy like this.
  4. They dont have a live feed.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man that’s a great photo

Jet96, racer-x and Stogy like this.
  6. Man,,,,,look at that pic,,,,,,,a blown Hemi Nitro fuel coupe,,,,,,waiting for combat !

Tommy

racer-x, Budget36 and Stogy like this.
  7. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Im trying to get there Just can not be away for 4 days , checking into a charter ride in sky

Stogy likes this.
  8. Fuel altereds are the undisputed bad ass hot rod. A nitro burning altered is the ultimate hot rod hands down. In the early 60s the had a fuel coupe class. The various classes morphed into a fuel altered class. They changed over to center steer cars and sported wings. They are considered the hardest cars to drive. Anything can happen on a pass. Lane swaps are not uncommon. Here are a few of this weeks contenders.

Jet96, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  9. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you get any rain or hail today? Got pretty wicked up Des Moines way. We are dry here and Eddyville is about 1/2 way between.

Stogy likes this.
  10. 20220819_174120.jpg 20220819_174124.jpg The funky haze of a nitro car firing up never gets old. 20220819_175521.jpg 20220819_174347.jpg 20220819_174327.jpg 20220819_174308.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    bchctybob, enloe, Calkins and 11 others like this.
  11. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Were able to make any passes?

12. Friday qualifying was rained out. Saturday we made two qualifying passes. With all the new found horse power its very difficult to control. The car gets out of shape at the hit. I have maxed out all of the suspension tricks. I had a long drive home to think about whats going on. Its all very similiar to what my 65 awb did. That car was also uncontrolable. I cured that car with a first gear change in the lenco. I started with a 230 droppling it down to eventually a 1.81 ratio.
    Thats the current gear in the coupe. I just happen to have a gear set on the shelf that will give me a 1.675 that should calm things down. The nice thing it doesnt cost me 20220822_205810.jpg 20220822_205823.jpg 20220822_205852.jpg 20220822_205922.jpg any cash.

13. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

good luck taming that beast!

racer-x likes this.
  14. Im very confident this is the way to go. The question is it enough. I will try it and if its not enough i will make another change. Too bad lenco got rid of their exchange policy years ago. For a hundred dollars gears could be exchanged. Now they need to be bought at over a grand a set.

chryslerfan55 and TFoch like this.
  15. I was bored today so i converted to car back to a street car. I drove it up to the local saturday car show. I can tell by the way it drives the first gear was changed. 20220827_170510.jpg

16. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Seems to me I have seen that silver Comet somewhere before.........

chryslerfan55 and 427 sleeper like this.
  17. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

I’m thinking a clutch and a computer will go a long way in getting that thing down the track. I do not know of anyone that has ever made a big load of nitro work with a converter. And some very smart people have tried. Have you called Adams? I would.

chryslerfan55 and 48fordnut like this.
  18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Only 3 planet gears, I would of thought 4. Maybe not enough room.

427 sleeper likes this.
  19. While I have zero experience with a car this serious or nitro so far Brian has done some things that people said couldn’t be done, I have the utmost confidence he will figure it out.

20. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Not to get in a pissing contest, but if you look at 60's funny cars, lots of them ran Torqueflites, and some ran C-6's. Yes they blew them up, but they got them to hang together long enough to go on match race tours.

Desoto291Hemi and 48fordnut like this.
  21. I think Brian is using a Bruno system with a Lenco,,,,,,they are pretty darn tough .
    The Bruno has been around maybe 25-30 years,,,,,,Brian has this under control .

What really worries me is the stability of the chassis under power .
    Brian might have to go to a solid mount rear,,,,just to keep it straight under power .
    I know that negates the street use of it,,,,,,I’m sure Brian can figure something out .

Tommy

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. If that is the cure, maybe he can remove the rear coilovers and bolt in solid struts for the track.

seb fontana likes this.
  23. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

With Lenco & converter it takes a lot of testing & data with converter combination Especially when you're not at the same track & track conditions change, weather change engine makes more or less power , there are Pro & well funded racer switching back & forth between between clutch's & converters with Lenco style transition that race more frequently then Brian because they have not Quite have a good hand on it yet,

24. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

733B2C4A-E8CE-43CE-B3D4-982D21AD0B86.jpeg
    Name one competitive car, running a significant load of nitro with a torque converter. Kyle Smith is turning TAFC upside down right now with a converter combination he and his father have worked their asses off on- on alcohol of course. Anyone that I know that has tried it shows up with a clutch after being frustrated and entirely unsuccessful.
    Here is the A/ Fueler I campaigned this was pre nitro percentage rules, We ran the can.:

25. A clutch is the ultimate on a race car. I get it. What some dont get here is this is also a street car. Show me a successful nitro street car with a clutch. A clutch constantly needs to be adjusted. There is no time
    for that on drag week. I can only ride with one other person. Running a car on nitro for five days straight while driving a thousand miles in a week is hard to do. Doing it with only two guys is even harder. There is no time to reset a clutch each day. Those that have tried went back to a converter.
    Solid struts have been talked about with my crew. I will have some available later this week. Its very easy on my car to swap shocks for struts.
    Im very determined to make the converter work. I have several stators i can try. I can adjust the bruno pressure. I can make more suspenssion changes.

26. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I did say any Pro car / race car on Nitro,
    That Dragster looks to be a Hard tail & long wheel base Big tire & TA/FC ( converter) in one of last 2 races on west swing I'm sure in semi or finals shuck tires or blew them off, again 125 inch wheel base hard tail big tire, Well Funned team look @ there inventory of parts & data , Apple & Oranges .
    NHRA not only Organization , there are racers all across USA & down under Not sanction in NHRA

27. Is that red dragster street legal? Can it pull a trailer? Does it have a fuel tank big enough to go a few hundred miles? How cool does it run in city traffic when its 90 plus degrees outside. Can it haul a crew member? Is it liscensed titled and insured? Can it pass a dmv inspection? How does it drive at night? Does that rigid suspension shake your teeth out after a eight hour drive? Where do the street tires get stored so they are available when it rains? Speaking of rain how do you stay dry and does it have a windshield wiper? Anyone with a cell phone and a debit card can build a race car. It takes a whole lot more to make a fast real street strip car. Its very obvious your compairing apples to oranges.

28. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

^^^^^ X 5
    I Do Not know if Brain has drove his car on street / road on Nitro ,
    (more Likely not) , if Not I only know of 1 """ in 50s a 32 Ford roadster with FH !! Im sure there was few other But I only know of 1

29. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Whoops- apologies, I thought we were talking nitro racing, I’m way out of my wheelhouse if we are talking about state inspections, headlights, and idling around fairgrounds on nitro. No experience with that at all. I will crawl back under my rock again.

Budget36 likes this.
  30. We are talking nitro racing. In a car that also does street driving and car shows. Trying to find the perfect balance of all three is the challenge. Doing all three equally well takes time and effort.